JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A FMJ going thru soft tissue, doesn't have much to slow it down especially when barrel to target is 2 1/2 feet.

It's that abrupt stop that causes the problems.

Kinda like people that are afraid of heights...its not the fall that will kill you, its that abrupt stop at the end.

I am 66 so I have watched over the years quite a bit on Balistics because I have carried a handgun for 45 years. What I notice about your presentation is its pretty much what has been said long ago by those who studied Balistics. There was a huge assortment of methodology in determining what is best. Jello junkies, morgue monsters, police report studies and the military. There was even a goat study that tested how fast a goat died when shot with a handgun.

Your observations seem to copy Fackler but Fackler tried to duplicate what he found with balistics gelatin which doesn't have a key element called the human nervous system. Everyone feels pain different so the initial injury is pain first then the body succumbs to the injury. People that feel the pain right away will react different than a drug addict that feels no pain but both will react to the injury over time.

Fackler was pretty smart.

Martin Fackler - Wikipedia

Last Edited:
Yes, have studied Fackler much. Dr. Gary Roberts has continued what Fackler started.

I cringe every time I see someone trying to state how good a certain round is when they use media such as plywood, milk jugs with water, wet newspaper, fruit and veggies, live or dead animals...none come close to the make up of the human body.

Companies can skew the results of their loads by messing with the ballistic gel mix. I've done that on purpose, to see how much the results can change.

Yes so many times in the past people have done studies and came up with formulas to try to come up with a reliable way to test bullets. Fact is there are too many variables to say one will stop a person first shot. Ayoob did a police report study that seemed to have good results but he could never verify if the reports were true. Somebody saying it worked while under fire isnt' a good study in my opinion.

The goat kill out of Europe or look it up as the Strasburg test had some interesting results and Magsafe rounds did really well but shooting goats isn't shooting people.

The goat kill out of Europe or look it up as the Strasburg test had some interesting results and Magsafe rounds did really well but shooting goats isn't shooting people.

Yeah, I think the responce from a calm prey animal is much different than an apex predator in fight mode. Look at how hard it is to stop a charging boar!

I agree. My comment is more aimed at people who think 45 is the hammer of Thor compared to my wimpy wonder9.

:eek:

I tell them to put there money where their mouth is and at least carry 45 super .:D

If someone ever told me I could only carry a 9MM, I wouldn't cry much as long I as I was able to carry a well constructed bullet. HST and Golden Sabers have shown consistent results...with the HST as my first choice.

At speeds of around 840 fps, from a 3 1/2 barrel, nothing in a .45 will open up, no matter how soft it is or how far you can drive it in! It will hurt like hell, but it likely will not produce a lethal end!

Appears you might be using or seeing bullets not designed for such a velocity.

The sort barreled Speer 45 ACP ammo I've tested, averages a bit over 800fps, with around 14" of penetration, and with an average diameter of .625" Not bad for a "sloth" round.

One can also run a HST out of a short barrel, such as what I carry in my Colt Officers Model...with good results. A bit on the short side, but averaging approx. 11" of penetration.

If someone ever told me I could only carry a 9MM, I wouldn't cry much as long I as I was able to carry a well constructed bullet. HST and Golden Sabers have shown consistent results...with the HST as my first choice.
I have been shooting Colt brand all copper hollow points for social work the last year or so. 185 grains @ 1040 FPS. They seem to be retaining well over 90% weight while giving tremendous expansion. I bought a few thousand rounds of them when J&G had them on sale.

Any thoughts on 124 vs 147 grain HST?

I currently carry 124 gr HST in both my 9mm. Mainly because POI=POA, and my target ammo is usually 124, sometimes 115.

However a trainer I respect said he carries 147, and once my 9mm suppresor gets out of jail, I may switch to 147 or heavier to get subsonic.

Any thoughts on 124 vs 147 grain HST?

I currently carry 124 gr HST in both my 9mm. Mainly because POI=POA, and my target ammo is usually 124, sometimes 115.

However a trainer I respect said he carries 147, and once my 9mm suppresor gets out of jail, I may switch to 147 or heavier to get subsonic.

I really like the 124gr HST a lot. Toward the end of my study, I started seeing quite a bit of it, mostly with LE shootings. Showed great penetration and consistent expansion. Which is why I would not feel under gunned with a 9mm.

I do have some info on the 147gr, and shows on the low side of penetration but consistent expansion...I would not lose sleep if I carried it. Still a solid round.

Speer 200gr Gold Dot +P
Weight retained: 100%
Expanded Diameter: .731"
Medium: 2 thicknesses of wallboard, partial solid wood wall stud, heavy sweatshirt, t-shirt.
Distance: Approx. 17'
Firearm: SigSauer P220

golddot.jpg

Subject that owned the Sig had an AD in a motel room. The round went through the first layer of wallboard, clipped the wall stud, went through the next layer of wallboard in the neighboring room, struck a female on the left side of her rib cage about mid height, and came to rest against the rib cage on the far side.

Appears you might be using or seeing bullets not designed for such a velocity.

The sort barreled Speer 45 ACP ammo I've tested, averages a bit over 800fps, with around 14" of penetration, and with an average diameter of .625" Not bad for a "sloth" round.
That's My observation! I tested 18 different defensive loads when I was carrying my Colt Compact, most didn't expand, at those slow speeds, the few exceptions were the Hydro-Shok, 165 gr low flash compact .45 loads, and the Speer 165gr. Interesting was the Winchester PDX load, that one shouldn't have done well, but it did! The Hornady Critical Defence did open to about .56 and the Cor-Bon 180 tumbled at about 8 inches In! The lighter the bullet, the better they did, but in my mind, was to big a compromise between what a .45 should do, and what it does out of a compact. My current Commander seems happiest with the Golden Sabers 180 smoking along @930ish.
The 10 MM with 180 Golden Sabers is flat out nasty, I'm seeing almost .94 running @1340ish, and the 200s running @1280ish expand almost identically. The 180s run to a depth of over 24 inches, and the 200s leave the blocks at 26 inches landing in a milk jug filled with sand! The bigger 220 gr Grizzly hp, opens at a depth of 16 inches, and keeps on trucking at a diameter of .87 for another 12 to 16 inches, it also smashes embedded Elk shoulder socket and knuckle and runs another 8 inches tumbling, but retains about 80% weight! This is in jell mixed to the FBI specs! One thing that impressed me with both bullets was the nose cavities would actually cut denim and even saddle leather and carry it with them, and it didn't seem to effect expansion! Another surprise was the buffalo Bore 220 gr solids at 1300 fps, those use a solid hard cast bullet with a small flat nose, they went in about 20 inches, expanded to .58 and stayed together! As good as that is, the energy is YUGE, the temp wound channel is massive, and the risks of over penetration were less then the lighter bullets! Only other tests I like that impressed me was .44 mag with a 240gr solid, and .45 Colt, also with a solid of 250 gr!
That's why these work so well against large bears! Interesting that they also seem to be consistantly able to expand in a relatively short distance given the weights and speeds, which would say they would probably also work for carry against two legged predators! :D

Speer 200gr Gold Dot +P
Weight retained: 100%
Expanded Diameter: .731"
Medium: 2 thicknesses of wallboard, partial solid wood wall stud, heavy sweatshirt, t-shirt.
Distance: Approx. 17'
Firearm: SigSauer P220

View attachment 456544

Subject that owned the Sig had an AD in a motel room. The round went through the first layer of wallboard, clipped the wall stud, went through the next layer of wallboard in the neighboring room, struck a female on the left side of her rib cage about mid height, and came to rest against the rib cage on the far side.

Damn sad story, but amazing ballistics.

That's My observation! I tested 18 different defensive loads when I was carrying my Colt Compact, most didn't expand, at those slow speeds, the few exceptions were the Hydro-Shok, 165 gr low flash compact .45 loads, and the Speer 165gr. Interesting was the Winchester PDX load, that one shouldn't have done well, but it did! The Hornady Critical Defence did open to about .56 and the Cor-Bon 180 tumbled at about 8 inches In! The lighter the bullet, the better they did, but in my mind, was to big a compromise between what a .45 should do, and what it does out of a compact. My current Commander seems happiest with the Golden Sabers 180 smoking along @930ish.
The 10 MM with 180 Golden Sabers is flat out nasty, I'm seeing almost .94 running @1340ish, and the 200s running @1280ish expand almost identically. The 180s run to a depth of over 24 inches, and the 200s leave the blocks at 26 inches landing in a milk jug filled with sand! The bigger 220 gr Grizzly hp, opens at a depth of 16 inches, and keeps on trucking at a diameter of .87 for another 12 to 16 inches, it also smashes embedded Elk shoulder socket and knuckle and runs another 8 inches tumbling, but retains about 80% weight! This is in jell mixed to the FBI specs! One thing that impressed me with both bullets was the nose cavities would actually cut denim and even saddle leather and carry it with them, and it didn't seem to effect expansion! Another surprise was the buffalo Bore 220 gr solids at 1300 fps, those use a solid hard cast bullet with a small flat nose, they went in about 20 inches, expanded to .58 and stayed together! As good as that is, the energy is YUGE, the temp wound channel is massive, and the risks of over penetration were less then the lighter bullets! Only other tests I like that impressed me was .44 mag with a 240gr solid, and .45 Colt, also with a solid of 250 gr!
That's why these work so well against large bears! Interesting that they also seem to be consistantly able to expand in a relatively short distance given the weights and speeds, which would say they would probably also work for carry against two legged predators! :D

Damn I love best cm.

Have you ever checked out the underwood xtreme penetrators? They are my woods critters round, because I want to dive deep at any angle through any bone or muscle I am presented with. They are also light shooting and extremily accurate for me.

They also have a habit of getting though vests and glass that are supposed to be bullet proof.

I have ran a few mags of those to see if they did live up to all the hype, other then their performance against hardend target's, I just couldn't see the usefulness compared to some of the solids
Where these do make for a super nasty is out of a Carbine where the speeds are really cookin, that's where they really shine! I got a old of some ballstic glass plates and out of a 5 inch 1911, they actually embedded about half way, out of the 13 inch Carbine, they almost went through, enough that the small from the inner layer of glass would be pretty nasty! I havnt bothered to try them against other hard objects like old engines, but o can see some possibilities.
I did find another round that's even better, but highly illegal for "civilian" use, best not even ask, and no, you cannot buy them! These will blow through level 3+plate or soft armor!:)

, other then their performance against hardend target's, I just couldn't see the usefulness compared to some of the solids

I agree. Unfortunatly I stocked up on them when I was trapped in CA, and they were forcing us to carry lead free when hunting, even in our sidearm. :mad:

Now I am too invested in them to switch, plus I like the recoil. Again, only using these for woods carry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top