JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was fortunate in my LE career to be forensic trained. In that time I attended many autopsies, and was able to assist with many.

What started my ballistic research...One time I was waiting for a victim of case I was working to be done, but there was a gunshot victim from another agency before me. I was allowed to watch, photograph and have them slow down to examine the entrance, bullet path etc. Once that was over I asked if at any time they had a gunshot victim to please call me any time day or night, as I wanted to do my own research on the subject.
I was also fortunate to be able to do the same in Oregon at their lab near 82nd in the Portland area. Since Oregon, at the time only had two labs for the whole state, most everything got shipped to Portland. The medical Examiner there, although in his 30's was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and provided me with a lot of valuable information about what I was doing, and went out of his way to make this research possible.

Overall I was able to attend and document 42 shooting victims in a span of almost 5 years, from 2003 to 2008. Examine bullet entrance and exit, if there was one. Bullet path, damage, and projectile diameter, weight and make, model ID.

I also gathered data from LE shootings from NW agencies and added what I could into the research, because I was able to positively ID the bullet make and model and some information as to the victim size, weight, distance of the shot and angle etc.

Some of what I learned, I never found in any book on the subject. I have read most every book out there about ballistics, even the famed Stopping Power book by Marshall & Sanow, which I thought was lacking.

What I learned;

Pistols don't produce enough power to effectively have consistent bullet performance. aka pistol bullet performance sucks.

In talking with a friend of mine who's an engineer for ATK, but overall works for Federal - Speer - CCI, creating a HP round is a delicate matter. If the velocity is too great, the HP opens up too fast creating a parachute affect, thus not getting penetration. If it goes too slow, the HP won't open up and will act like a FMJ.

Folks don't realize the differences in each human that can affect bullet performance. Things such as age, medications, drug use, smoker, weight, muscle density etc., all have affect on skin, organ and bone density...which affects bullet performance. Even race, culture and place of residence around the world have some bearing. This information came from the Doc at the Oregon lab. He spent many hours with me going thru this part of the study, showing me the differences...fascinating...to me anyway.

One can shoot 6 different people in the same place, with the same caliber and bullet and get 6 slightly different results. Why 6?, because I witnessed it myself through the autopsies.

Some bullets were hard to identify as to make and model, but others were readily identifiable. After a few victims where I was able to identify the bullet, I would receive a call now and then from a med examiner asking if I could make an ID for them.

A person can be shot through the heart, and sometimes totally destroy the heart and still live over 2 minutes. A lot of damage can be done in that amount of time.

9mm is what I found to be the absolute smallest pistol caliber to use/carry. And #4 or #6 shot is way more effective than 00 Buck. Yes, I know .22 rimfire and other small calibers have killed many a person, but the smaller calibers needs even more emphasis on shot placement.

9mm = .355"; 40 = .400"; 44 = .429" 45acp = .452"

Stay away from the gimmick bullets, and go with a solid constructed HP. What works in ballistic gelatin, wet newspapers, even live or dead animals is not the same performance you'll see in human media.

Bonded bullets work well when going through media such as glass, boards etc., but lack consistent performance when entering a human without going through the above first, won't get consistent reliable expansion.

Finally, shot placement is paramount...Period! If a bullet doesn't go in the snot-locker, you'll be waiting for the person to faint. Yes, that is the medical term for someone who loses enough blood pressure...they will faint. More bullet holes, equal faster blood loss, which in turn lowers the blood pressure until the person faints. So the ultimate goal of such a confrontation is to have the threat faint really really fast...unless there's the snot-locker shot.

Another person I relied on was Dr. Gary K Roberts. He came to our state LE firearms instructor conference some years ago and made a ballistic presentation, and I was able to compare some things with him, and confirm some of what I was seeing. What I liked about his presentation is that it dispelled some of the myths in the firearm ammo community. Attending his presentation were some ammo manufacturer reps we had there, they were not happy to hear that some of their product was junk.

My study is in no way definitive, but each autopsy and other shooting info kept proving the above...and gave me information that I felt was not available to the public.

Notes from Gary Roberts conference and from some of his published articles;

People are often rapidly psychologically incapacitated by minor wounds that are not immediately physiologically incapacitating.

Unlike rifle bullets, handgun bullets, regardless of whether they are fired from pistols or SMG's, generally only disrupt tissue by the crush mechanism. In addition, temporary cavitation from most handgun bullets does not reliably damage tissue and is not usually a significant mechanism of wounding.

If handgun bullets do fragment, the bullet fragments are usually found within 1 cm of the permanent cavity; wound severity is usually decreased by the fragmentation since the bullet mass is reduced, causing a smaller permanent crush cavity.

Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 15 years ago. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs.

The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydra-shok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's

.40 S&W is a relatively high pressure cartridge, has a sharp recoil that can be hard for many people to control, and pistols in this caliber have a decreased service life compared to similar 9 mm handguns. In addition, .40 S&W ammunition is more expensive than 9 mm.

Rather than using larger caliber duty pistols, most people would be better served by issuing a quality 9 mm handgun along with good ammunition, and then spending the majority of their efforts on mandating effective, high quality, ongoing firearms training—a good minimum would be 100 rounds per week of dedicated, objective, monitored and scored training shots. The keys are:

-- Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice
-- Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system.
-- Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty load along with a similar practice load in sufficient quantities to allow yourself to maintain and improve their skill.
-- Then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance and focus on training and tactics

Handguns chambered in .380 Auto are small, compact, and generally easy to carry. Unfortunately, testing has shown that they offer inadequate performance for self-defense and for law enforcement use whether on duty as a back-up weapon or for off duty carry. The terminal performance of .380 Auto JHP's is often erratic, with inadequate penetration and inconsistent expansion being common problems, while .380 Auto FMJ's offer adequate penetration, but no expansion. All of the .380 Auto JHP loads we have tested, including CorBon, Hornady, Federal, Remington, Speer, and Winchester exhibited inconsistent, unacceptable terminal performance for law enforcement back-up and off duty self-defense use due to inadequate penetration or inadequate expansion. Stick with FMJ for .380 Auto or better yet, don't use it at all. The use of .380 Auto and smaller caliber weapons is really not acceptable for law enforcement use and most savvy agencies prohibit them. While both the .380 Auto and .38 Sp can obviously be lethal; the .38 Sp is more likely to incapacitate an attacker when used in a BUG role.

There have been many reports in the scientific literature, by Dr. Fackler and others, recommending the .38 Sp 158 gr +P LSWCHP as offering adequate performance. Please put this in context for the time that these papers were written in the late 1980's and early 1990's--no denim testing was being performed at that time, no robust expanding JHP's, like the Barnes Tac-XP, Federal Tactical & HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Winchester Ranger Talon or Ranger Bonded existed. In the proper historical perspective, the 158 gr +P LSWCHP fired out 3-4" barrel revolvers was one of the best rounds available--and it is still a viable choice, as long as you understand its characteristics.
With few exceptions, the vast majority of .38 Sp JHP's fail to expand when fired from 2" barrels in the 4 layer denim test. Many of the lighter JHP's demonstrate overexpansion and insufficient penetration in bare gel testing. Also, the harsher recoil of the +P loads in lightweight J-frames tends to minimize practice efforts and decrease accuracy for many officers. The 158 gr +P LSWCHP offers adequate penetration, however in a 2" revolver the 158gr +P LSWCHP does not reliably expand. If it fails to expand, it will produce less wound trauma than a WC. Target wadcutters offer good penetration, cut tissue efficiently, and have relatively mild recoil. With wadcutters harder alloys and sharper leading edges are the way to go. Wadcutters perform exactly the same in both bare and 4LD covered gel when fired from a 2" J-frame. When faced with too little penetration, as is common with lightweight .38 Sp JHP loads or too much penetration like with the wadcutters, then go with penetration. Agencies around here have used the Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wadcutter (X38SMRP), as well as the Federal (GM38A) version--both work. A sharper edged wadcutter would even be better.

Currently the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P JHP, Winchester 130 gr bonded +P JHP (RA38B), and loads using the Barnes 110 gr all copper JHP (for ex. in the Corbon DPX loading ) offer the most reliable expansion we have seen from a .38 Sp 2" BUG; the Hornady 110 gr standard pressure and +P Critical Defense loads also offer good performance out of 2" barrel revolvers.

The 5.7 pistol as a carry gun is a mistake. There are far more effective weapons and ammunition combinations out there.

The new Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes.

223 - Unfortunately, recent LE use and combat operations have once again highlighted terminal performance problems, generally manifested as failures to rapidly incapacitate opponents, during both LE OIS incidents and military combat engagements when M855 is fired from 5.56 mm rifles and carbines, especially those with shorter barrels.
The best LE 5.56 mm/.223 loads for intermediate barrier penetration using 1/9 and faster twist barrels are the 5.56 mm Federal 62 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (TBBC) bonded JSP (XM556FBIT3) and 5.56 mm Winchester 64 gr solid base bonded JSP (Q3313/RA556B) developed for the FBI, along with the outstanding new Black Hills 5.56 mm 50 gr TSX loading. The Hornady 5.56 mm 55 gr GMX is another acceptable option. Most other acceptable LE barrier blind loadings are at .223 pressures, including the superb, well proven .223 55 & 62 gr Federal bonded JSP Tactical loads (LE223T1 & LE223T3), along with loads using Nosler 60 gr Partition JSP, Remington 62 gr Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded JSP (PRC223R4), .223 Horn 55 gr GMX, and the .223 Speer 64 gr Gold Dot JSP's (and identically constructed Federal 62 gr Fusion JSP and Federal XM223SP1 62gr Bonded JSP).

If I can find more notes I will add them.

Two questions:
1. Have anything on Mk 318 SOST?
2. What would you personally favor to feed a 10.3" AR PDW with a 1:7 twist? I heard a rumbling that 64gr Gold Dot is being dropped, and SOST and FBI loads can sometimes be tricky to find and Mk 262 77gr is both expensive and seems overkill for Halitosis-to-400yd work.

Doc Roberts has been quiet for a bit on updating, and recently stormed out of another site I'm on after a dispute with Management (not sure who's right or wrong or what happened, what's important to me is loss of data).

Thanks!

1 - I don't have any info

2 - Winchster 64 gr RA223R2 and Federal 64 gr TRU T223L have given good performance, but do not do well after going thru hard barriers such as windshield glass.

Grab the 64gr Gold Dot while you can, have personally used it and it seems to be an all around good performer.

Fascinating posts, Sir - many thanks. I suspect that more than a few here have, like me, had the misfortune to see gunshots wounds close up - some injurious and non-fatal, and others fatal. Although this is no place for war-y stories, or, as we in the Army call it, 'swinging the lamp', the one incident that has remained with me since the day it happened involved a young man who was shot by the patrol sniper from around 350m. The shootee was lying prone to shoot at the patrol, and was doing a good job of keeping heads down when the sniper, using an L42A1 sniping rifle in 7.62x51 147gr Radway Green Green Spot sniping ammunition, shot him just under the right eye. The bullet exited just above his right knee, having transitted the entire upper body and upper leg to that point. Needless to say, he was as dead as a doornail.

I saw many others shot with this bullet over the years, but I'd never seen anything like that before or since.

tac

I want to say this again, I don't have many answers on this subject. My study was an extremely small piece and very non-definitive piece of the extremely large and complex ballistic puzzle that occurred 10 years ago.

At the time, I felt what I was seeing concurred with what some other studies and research was showing, which gave me enough confidence to make ammunition decisions.

Last Edited:
Thanks for following up with this post!

-- Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice
-- Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system.
-- Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty load along with a similar practice load in sufficient quantities to allow yourself to maintain and improve their skill.
-- Then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance and focus on training and tactics

I agree! However, just to contradict myself.

--
223 - Unfortunately, recent LE use and combat operations have once again highlighted terminal performance problems, generally manifested as failures to rapidly incapacitate opponents, during both LE OIS incidents and military combat engagements when M855 is fired from 5.56 mm rifles and carbines, especially those with shorter barrels.

Is this statement focused only on m855 and m193? Or do you see insufficient wounding with the purpose built defensive loads as well?

It doesn't matter that much, I still train to put multiple shots on target as fast as possible, but curious if that is overkill.

Thanks again.

I am a long-time supporter in the method of putting as much ammunition as possible, accurately and in the shortest amount of time, into the nine-inch circle above the neck.

House clearance is house clearance, whether it's military, terrorist, or domestic.

As my Colour Sergeant instructor used to say - 'shoot 'em in the eyeball - any eyeball'.

tac

Thanks for following up with this post!

I agree! However, just to contradict myself.

Is this statement focused only on m855 and m193? Or do you see insufficient wounding with the purpose built defensive loads as well?

It doesn't matter that much, I still train to put multiple shots on target as fast as possible, but curious if that is overkill.

Thanks again.

This came from Dr Roberts, and is focused on the 62gr penetrator (Green Tip), but seems to encompass the M193 55gr FMJ as well. I see better results with loads he listed as well as a few others...I'll have to dig them up.

I am a long-time supporter in the method of putting as much ammunition as possible, accurately and in the shortest amount of time, into the nine-inch circle above the neck.

House clearance is house clearance, whether it's military, terrorist, or domestic.

As my Colour Sergeant instructor used to say - 'shoot 'em in the eyeball - any eyeball'.

tac

Yep, the snot-locker is always the best choice. I see a lot of targets that put the vitals to far south, in the spleen area. Keep your shots nipple height and higher and life will be better for you.

I don't care that the IPSC targets put C and B zones above the A zone in the chest area...that is anatomically incorrect. Those C and B zones above the chest A zone are fantastic devastating areas to to go for. Heart, lungs and major arteries go right thru there.

One can shoot 6 different people in the same place, with the same caliber and bullet and get 6 slightly different results. Why 6?, because I witnessed it myself through the autopsies

The above statement is where you lost me. You claim to have documented 42 autopsies. And of those 42 six of them were shot in the same place with the same type of bullets, from the same barrel length gun, with the exact same weight and type of bullet, under the exact same conditions (laying down, standing, running, sitting etc) from the exact same distance ( this is a biggie) while wearing the exact same Type of clothing ( again another big factor) and all six were of the same body type(fat, skinny etc) I find it extremely hard to believe your conclusions.

I would like to echo "thank you for your post(s)". Everyone has a lot of debatable information and theories, but actual hands-on experience says a lot.

One can shoot 6 different people in the same place, with the same caliber and bullet and get 6 slightly different results. Why 6?, because I witnessed it myself through the autopsies

The above statement is where you lost me. You claim to have documented 42 autopsies. And of those 42 six of them were shot in the same place with the same type of bullets, from the same barrel length gun, with the exact same weight and type of bullet, under the exact same conditions (laying down, standing, running, sitting etc) from the exact same distance ( this is a biggie) while wearing the exact same Type of clothing ( again another big factor) and all six were of the same body type(fat, skinny etc) I find it extremely hard to believe your conclusions.

Just look at the variability for the same gun, same ammo, fired into the same block of gel.

Statistics are a fickle bubblegum.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

You made my case, too many variabes for any pistol bullet to have much consistency.

I also stated, did you miss this?...that body type etc factors into bullet performance.

All 6 cases were 9mm, fired from a Glock 17. The bullet was a 115gr Hydra-Shok. All victims were standing at the time, distance from approx 7 to 15 feet, all wearing light clothing...yes, different body types.

Again, one can shoot 6 different people in the same place with the same bullet and get varying results...this is why it is important to know all or as many facts as possible to come up with some kind of conclusion.

I want to apologize if I misled you in any way, not my intention. I should have provided more clarifying info from the start.

Last Edited:
I would like to echo "thank you for your post(s)". Everyone has a lot of debatable information and theories, but actual hands-on experience says a lot.

Thank you, I appreciate it very much.

I'm here to share my results, hopefully help some people make informed decisions on what ammo to carry.

But in the end...it can still be a crap shoot.

When I was doing this, I had to come up with a definition of the weights of clothing.

Light weight - 2 or less layers of thin fabric. Example, t-shirt with a dress shirt over it.

Med - Add a sweatshirt

Med/Hvy - Replace the thin layers with a thicker layer or two, along with the sweatshirt.

Heavy - Add a coat

Still not exact science...but then I'm not a scientist! o_O

Bullet move in very unpredictable ways. In my military trade, we had little time to study why an injury was like it was having to concentrate on dealing with whatever we found. Another thing that I was always struck by was the difference in how individuals responded to similar injuries. Some people would just die and some would recover fully from the same injury. I always thought it had something to do with the individual human spirit. This is a great open conversation that I appreciate. So many people believe and take things they see on TV as gospel that they won't listen to experiance. Thankyou for taking the time to educate us.

Thank you for the support.

I think Doc Roberts said it best in my post above...People are often rapidly psychologically incapacitated by minor wounds that are not immediately physiologically incapacitating.

I recall a few times where the victim was seen to give up because they were shot, when the wound was not immediately life threatening.

Hollywood has tainted a lot of reality. People don't go flying around when getting shot. A .308 won't move a person much when getting hit.

The best example I can give about being hit with a bullet, is the founder of 2nd Chance ballistic vest company, Rich Davis. He pioneered soft body armor for LE and others. I had the good fortune to meet him a few times. He's most famous for shooting himself while wearing his product...no better marketing than that.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top