JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One needs to get a frame of reference from any data presented.

Unlike rifle bullets, handgun bullets, regardless of whether they are fired from pistols or SMG's, generally only disrupt tissue by the crush mechanism. In addition, the temporary cavity produced from most handgun bullets does not reliably damage tissue and is not usually a significant mechanism of wounding.

If handgun bullets do fragment, the bullet fragments are usually found within very close proximity of the permanent cavity. Wound severity is usually decreased by the fragmentation since the bullet mass is reduced, causing a smaller permanent crush cavity.

The conclusion drawn here is to obtain the best bullet for the caliber you carry that will give you the best combination of weight retention, penetration and expansion. Other than a head shot, this will give the best chance of the threat fainting really really faster...I think I hurt myself with that one. Lol

Yes, they are a type of survey...but taking as much data from the survey shows a distinct pattern, as stated in the best combination to obtain.

The only data that could be skewed is the gel tests, if they are not produced the same from test to test...unless you're referring to something else, in that case please elaborate.

As I stated in my first post starting this thread, there are many variables in the body that affect bullet performance, especially pistol bullets.

Enter Clint Smith and his Urban Rifle training. Using a rifle at pistol distances...Brilliant!

Those that have taken my classes, have heard from me about how I view "Train like you fight". As you live your life as it is right now, here are two theaters of operation...out in the public or at home. Public encompasses work, store, anything outside of the home. The other is obvious...your home. Out in the public, you can't...for the most part go out with a rifle slung, so pistol carry is required. So give yourself the best chance by choosing the best performing bullet you can find, based on the only thing we really have...gel testing and human victims.

I looked at my abbreviated research with exactly what I saw, compared it with Fackler and Roberts and found it was showing in the area of the same results. Giving that, the combination needed is still the same after all these years.

Gary Roberts or DocGKR is the best one to follow. He will have the best info based on actual non skewed results.

Too many writings out there on the best caliber etc., but not enough of needed and specific info to back it up. With Doc he takes in all the info needed to make recommendations. Target distance, place hit, bullet path, angle, media contacted, damage etc. You just don't all that with most of the info floating around.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top