JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would you prefer 5 to 10 minutes of the host talking about how he has served in Somalia, Afghanistan, Syria, and now is a part of a civilian training course for Space Force and why you should listen to him, and why his products are the best ever utilizing marketing buzzwords and marketing speak and then have 30 seconds of "testing" that shows absolutely.. nothing useful? :rolleyes:
This is why all obstetricians have had at least 3 kids and have a vagina. Brilliant.

Might be just me here, but I personally wouldn't trust a company whose products aren't on the NIJ certified list....
I wore plates in the Marines. I'm not wearing them as a civilan on a static range..... that box is checked.

Apocryphal, but a person posted a photo to Reddit of his supposed workspace where there were dozens of steel armor plates set up for coating, and he claims his employer is a subcontractor for a major steel armor company... and what does he do? Just spray the truck bed liner coating on them. Nothing special, no special formulations or thickness requirement.. just truck bed liner spray. Not sure if it was either Line-X or Rhino Liner, but he claims that a large part of his job is to do that along with spraying truck beds and such. :rolleyes: again, apocryphal.

I'd rather take chances with relatively affordable ceramics than with steel.. at least for the weight, they're Level 4 and NIJ certified. :p

Apocryphal, but a person posted a photo to Reddit of his supposed workspace where there were dozens of steel armor plates set up for coating, and he claims his employer is a subcontractor for a major steel armor company... and what does he do? Just spray the truck bed liner coating on them. Nothing special, no special formulations or thickness requirement.. just truck bed liner spray. Not sure if it was either Line-X or Rhino Liner, but he claims that a large part of his job is to do that along with spraying truck beds and such. :rolleyes: again, apocryphal.

I'd rather take chances with relatively affordable ceramics than with steel.. at least for the weight, they're Level 4 and NIJ certified. :p
Didn't Myth Busters show that bedliner could be used as bomb proofing material.....

Last Edited:
Well YEAH.... you signed for it, and if you didn't turn it back in you'd get a statement of charges and see the amount deducted on your LES.... LOL!
Funny , but true for sure.... :D

The biggest reason I tried my best to not wear that shi...Err.....Stuff...was that it was hot , heavy , difficult to break the outlines of...
And most importantly of all...not at all conducive to being mobile and silent , two key parts to survival on a LRRP / LRSD mission....:D
Andy

Last Edited:
This is why I use 2 t-shirts in front of a rack of beef ribs, followed by a bag of oranges and another rack of ribs, all backed up by our new and improved 500 layer fleece bullet stop.

That's funny rite there!

...And I really appreciate the work & videos Paul puts out. Watched probably half a dozen plus over the last week of his.

I'll enjoy looting all of your actual good gear in the apocalypse off your Swiss cheese neck, chin and shoulders because you swore up and down bedliner-wrapped steel plates are just as good.

I'll enjoy looting all of your actual good gear in the apocalypse off your Swiss cheese neck, chin and shoulders because you swore up and down bedliner-wrapped steel plates are just as good.
Not all steel plates use bedliner as spall coating. Personally, I prefer ceramic and PE plates, but there are a couple steel armor companies out there that make a good product with pretty impressive spall containment.

Not all steel plates use bedliner as spall coating. Personally, I prefer ceramic and PE plates, but there are a couple steel armor companies out there that make a good product with pretty impressive spall containment.
Curious what folks know or think about this sleeve?

My thoughts are at the angles he is dealing with ricochets too and it may not stop one.
Also most plates are curved. How does play? Too I wonder about the effect of Level lllA in front of the curved plate?

This was a few years ago, but what this guy was wearing worked well for him (stopped 11 AK rounds, the other 16 hit body parts).
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/About/USAT/Magazine/Mike-Day-Spring-2015

Wow! Off the Chain Hero Stuff!

The ceramic Armour folks could use him as a spokesman.

I have to say I was impressed by the OP's Vid as far as it went. It was a Flat plate, an exact angle, and the plate was by itself without a sleave or the lllA.

That bullet safe stuff worked. No doubt about it. Would like to see the M1 test though.

As an aside, what the USN SEALS use for armor tend to be the ESAPI/SAPI plates, usually the Ceradyne plates but Safariland and Hesco plates weren't unheard of. We don't know which soft armor kit he had on that day, but its likely not the Interceptor that got issued to everyone else.

For those people that really profess having ceramic plates and avoiding steel nearly at all costs, the ceramic polyethylene plates give a shelf life of 5-10 years typically depending on manufacturer.

Do you plan to buy it again every 5-10 years, or do you just not worry about it?

For those people that really profess having ceramic plates and avoiding steel nearly at all costs, the ceramic polyethylene plates give a shelf life of 5-10 years typically depending on manufacturer.

Do you plan to buy it again every 5-10 years, or do you just not worry about it?
That's the warranty expiration date. It means until that date, the plates may be freely exchanged due to damage in transit, material flaws, or quality issues for buyers other than Mil or LEA/LEO.

Only the soft armor degrades over time depending on how well used/how its stored. If you look at the NIJ certified product list, it does not say "shelf life".. but says "warranty".
Soft armor degrades over time due to the following causes;
1. UV exposure
2. Heat exposure (trunk of a patrol car in Arizona for example)
3. Salt
4. Water immersion
(3 and 4 combined =sweat and seawater)

There have been plenty of tests documented on "expired" armor panels and plates and the majority have been found to be just fine, if not damaged beforehand. The ones that failed tend to already have had cracks, chips, or damage from improper care/storage.

That's the warranty expiration date. It means until that date, the plates may be freely exchanged due to damage in transit, material flaws, or quality issues for buyers other than Mil or LEA/LEO.

Only the soft armor degrades over time depending on how well used/how its stored. If you look at the NIJ certified product list, it does not say "shelf life".. but says "warranty".
Soft armor degrades over time due to the following causes;
1. UV exposure
2. Heat exposure (trunk of a patrol car in Arizona for example)
3. Salt
4. Water immersion
(3 and 4 combined =sweat and seawater)

There have been plenty of tests documented on "expired" armor panels and plates and the majority have been found to be just fine, if not damaged beforehand. The ones that failed tend to already have had cracks, chips, or damage from improper care/storage.

Good to know, thanks!

The military has a system where they x-ray and test plates before issuing them if past a certain date after date of manufacture, and will stamp inspection marks with new dates on them. This info came to me from a person who was issued a set of Ceradyne ESAPIs made in 2009, and passed last inspection in 2017. Pic from Reddit. fdc12c7.jpg

I own a plate carrier and a decent set of ceramic plates. Also soft body armor vest for myself and my wife. Why? Because I can. I realize the chance of me ever needing them is extremely slim, but I'm also the guy who has fire extinguishers all over the house, CO2 detectors, and a gas valve wrench handy in case an earthquake hits. For me it wasn't a big financial outlay, but it was WAY down my list of stuff to buy. Definitely a luxury that I'll likely never use.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top