JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't wake up and play/dress army. No plate carriers for me.
Thats just as valid :) there are situations where its better to have than none, but it is not 100% needed 100% of the time. One I can think right off the top would be what happened in Portland over the last summer... another, likely more common would be if doing the job of Range Safety Officer in certain areas just as insurance from first timers and morons. Heard few stories in the PNW of hunters getting shot at by other hunters/people with the mindset of "if it moves, shoot!"

Agreed that best thing is to avoid firefights, potential or otherwise. That's the main reason I haven't invested in SAPI L sized plates yet.... I have 2 sets of 10x12 plates, one which is level 4 and for sale, and the other, level 3 Special Threat rated but more for training/practice due to being long expired/04 Certified and ICW with soft armor.

Of course they changed watermelons. You don't keep the same watermelon thats been hit with shrapnel/frag pieces for three tests ;) and yes, its marketing... but it is of note that they refuse to market AR500 steel plates and go as far as saying they won't make them. Of course the video is biased, B.U.F.F.man Range TV is better, however that channel usually test using the NIJ protocols (15m range, 12x12x12 clay block and in carrier, at 90 degrees angle relative to plate) .
I realized that they swapped the watermelon for each plate test. My observation was that there was a part in the video where they shot at their ceramic plates. You clearly see it impact the watermelon. The next scene is a close up of that shot on the ceramic plates, and the watermelon was swapped for a fresh one as if it hadn't taken shrapnel.

I really don't care if any plates are better than the other. I'm of the opinion, some is better than none.

Most don't just wear a plain ole plate glued to themselves either. They are typically in a carrier with mags and such gear in front of it.

Your armor could be completely worthless, if say a bullet impacts a magazine full of ammo and deflects right up into your noggin!

Point of my posts, marketing sucks!

This is why I use 2 t-shirts in front of a rack of beef ribs, followed by a bag of oranges and another rack of ribs, all backed up by our new and improved 500 layer fleece bullet stop.

I think Clint smith said it best " In order for body armor to be effective you have to in a fire fight with someone capable enough to hit it." Therefore I don't put to much faith into body armor Yes it can be effective in reducing or stopping the bullet I have a plate carrier for when FHTF but I rarely ever put it on when I go shooting.. to each is own but unless you're active military or police I do not see a need in wearing one constantly.

I clicked. Damn it. Should have listened to @Certaindeaf. It's nothing more than an ad, with lousy "test results". I mean, how can we REALLY know how good this product is supposed to be in 3:41?

I don't wear body armor because I'm not going to grow the required neck beard.

Plus, when I think plate carrier, a waitress is the first thing that comes to mind.

I clicked. Damn it. Should have listened to @Certaindeaf. It's nothing more than an ad, with lousy "test results". I mean, how can we REALLY know how good this product is supposed to be in 3:41?
Would you prefer 5 to 10 minutes of the host talking about how he has served in Somalia, Afghanistan, Syria, and now is a part of a civilian training course for Space Force and why you should listen to him, and why his products are the best ever utilizing marketing buzzwords and marketing speak and then have 30 seconds of "testing" that shows absolutely.. nothing useful? :rolleyes:

Would you prefer 5 to 10 minutes of the host talking about how he has served in Somalia, Afghanistan, Syria, and now is a part of a civilian training course for Space Force and why you should listen to him, and why his products are the best ever utilizing marketing buzzwords and marketing speak and then have 30 seconds of "testing" that shows absolutely.. nothing useful? :rolleyes:

I saw a few shots, and when he shot the ceramic he obviously didn't show the spalling on the watermelon. Completely skipped over it, yes I know it wasn't much but let's make this a FAIR and FACTUAL review. Not just make the product look good.

And honestly.....your post does a better job "selling" the man and his product than he did. :rolleyes:

Edited to add: ONE shot at the plate is NOT a review or even a reasonable demonstration of the product's abilities.

Ya gotta admit.. there's a reason that only one brand has steel armor listed on the NIJ certified products and it isn't AR500 brand. Otherwise, I do not see any AR500 steel armor on the NIJ certified product list, although there are quite a bunch of Chinese made armor on there

Plate carriers go in the same category as bump helmets, truck guns, and all the other Tacticool bull $hit that is popular now because of instagram influencers. It's cool gear to have sitting in a closest and should stay in the closet. Half the gear that is worn is backwards, f-cked up, set up wrong, cheap, etc. "It's how it looked on call of duty and worked in airsoft though."

Ya gotta admit.. there's a reason that only one brand has steel armor listed on the NIJ certified products and it isn't AR500 brand. Otherwise, I do not see any AR500 steel armor on the NIJ certified product list, although there are quite a bunch of Chinese made armor on there

Oh I'm not arguing in favor or steel or otherwise. I'm simply pointing out that this thread title and provided video do very little to argue that steel armor is indeed bad. Actually, this is the first video I've ever watched on body armor (I've watched quite a few) where they only took ONE lousy shot and claimed victory.

What about guys like me? I don't have ANY beer belly, my chest, shoulders and arms are thicker than my waist. So the 20 degree up angle to get around the tactical beer belly doesn't apply. Maybe his product is fantastic, but that video is a paper-thin marketing tool for the masses.

Last Edited:
And the majority of people don't even know how to correctly wear a plate carrier with proper placement of the plates. The majority of people wear them way to low or their gut hangs below making it look like melting ice cream cone pouring out of their tiny vest.

And the majority of people don't even know how to correctly wear a plate carrier with proper placement of the plates. The majority of people wear them way to low or their gut hangs below making it look like melting ice cream cone pouring out of their tiny vest.

Sexy.

It is essentially an advertisement for Bullet Safe so of course they are going to promote the type of armor they make.

Check out Steel Ops. They make, test at multiple angles, and promote why their steel armor is good, too. And, it does appear to contain quite a bit of spall.

That said I do not look at anyone's self-promotion videos as empirical, unbiased evidence...regardless of the company. It is like a steak company saying you should only eat steak, because veggies are bad. While the veggie company says you should only eat veggies because steaks are bad...

There seems to be 2 opposing philisophies regarding plate sizes. 1, the military I think? Biggest plates to the torso, cover as much as possible. 2. The current trend.. smallest plates possible. Maximum flexibility and mobility.
Note all the military, LE and private security that use steel plates. There is a clue in there somewhere.
Underpaid, have to pay out of pocket, or beancounters in department wanting to save as much money?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top