JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I could have saved you time and money. The round locks can be opened with a BIC ink pen. remove the pen from the tube, split the plastic tube, tap the tube into the lock with a hammer. This forms a key by making dents in the plastic tube, turn to open takes seconds to open
You just TRY that when Winston is on the job. C'mon, I DARE you!

grumpy-bulldog 1111 - Copy (2).jpg

If a thief cant break into my safe with the tools I have in my garage in under 20 minutes, he's a moron. I live on well over an acre totally secluded from my neighbors with a 600 foot long driveway. Insurance is my security.

Want to see how to get into an electronic locking sentry gun safe with just a piece of wire........ there are ways to get into anything even your ol lady just a matter of how long it takes and how loud it gets............:p

It may be the one gun you keep unlocked and loaded at your side that protects your other locked up guns. They like to overlook these little details.

Any one with youtube can figure out an easy way to unlock something.

Heck I had a customer one time get his car broken into. He couldn't figure out how. Door was still locked, no windows smashed.
I looked at it and found the passenger side key hole punched in.

They just punch the key hole in and used a screw driver to unlock the door. This was on a newer Cadillac SUV.

I had a cash safe at work they lost the key to and ask me to get a locksmith to open it.
I took a crow bar and opened it within a couple mins.
Just popped the spots welds on the turn drawer to drop the cash and pulled all the money out.
Pretty weak design.

I found a free gun cabinet on Facebook Marketplace yesterday. Solid metal unit from Cabela's with a standard lock but no key (the seller's renters had left it along with a bunch of other junk when they were evicted). Brought it home, drilled out the lock and replaced it with a new lock for which I had a key.

LOCKS or NO LOCKS....are your choice. That being said.....

A cheap key lock (or any lock) on your guns.....comes under the category of.....
at_least_you_tried.jpg and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Besides.....it makes the LIBERALS happy that they can get another step closer to mandating such CONTROLS on your FREEDOM. Rrrrright.....under the disguise of Gun Safety....Legislation becomes much easier once gun owners get into that groove.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
We are in the middle of a home remodeling project and I'm seriously thinking of which wall I can build in a hidden gun and ammo storage unit.

Wife doesn't want guns in the house though, so it might have to be something I hide in my downstairs crawlspace (almost basement height, and I rigged an hvac vent down there and fully inslated it, so it's somewhat the same temp as the house at all times).
Please don't use the garage. Unless you're dedicated to all stainless guns, mags ,etc.
Your steel objects will develop rust in the garage. Be willing to bet rust is inevitable in the other "not in the house " locations too.
My buddy inherited a decent sized safe in one of the garages on his new property; bolted in place to the concrete floor. The drywall lining is now wetwall.
It's an excellent test area for determining which guns and gear not to take out in the elements.
Maybe you have a ton of money invested in humidity control throughout the structure and I'm incorrect in my opinion.

Last Edited:
I found a free gun cabinet on Facebook Marketplace yesterday. Solid metal unit from Cabela's with a standard lock but no key (the seller's renters had left it along with a bunch of other junk when they were evicted). Brought it home, drilled out the lock and replaced it with a new lock for which I had a key.

View attachment 849088

Drilling out the lock took a couple of minutes and made a lot of noise... but it was pretty easy to do.

I also received a lock picking set yesterday that I bought from Amazon. It came with a couple of locks to practice with, and after an hour or so I was able to consistently open those locks within a few seconds. I also went back to the lock I had just installed on my gun cabinet and was able to pick it in under 10 seconds.

So basically as a complete amateur I was able to quietly pick my own lock in less time than it would take for my garage door to fully open.

I wanted to share this to pop any false security bubbles you might be relying on if you think your guns are safe in a standard key locked gun cabinet. If that gun cabinet is in your garage, and your garage door hasn't been secured (see my other thread about how thieves can open your garage door in 6 seconds: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/ammo-storage-cabinet.365048/#post-2895343), then it will only take thieves a couple of minutes to get in and out with your guns.

I also wanted to ask you to share what type of gun cabinet lock you use and/or recommend... that hopefully is more secure than what I am using :)

Medeco locks are much tougher to pick or even drill open

Gun cabinets are a joke. Get a proper gun safe.

You want to give me the money to buy it with?
I didn't think so. We're not all deep pockets you know!
We have to do the best we can.
My wife is on Hospice with terminal cancer and she let it be known that I have firearms, well they insisted that I get a gun cabinet so the nurses would feel safer knowing my guns were locked up.
Good old Stackon 8 gun cabinet, did the trick. :)
Gabby

Is this not a nothing burger? Burglars take 3-4 minutes, hyped up so much they often crap on your floor, to grab and go. To carefully pick a lock, or to assemble the tools to drill a lock during all of this frenetic activity is not likely at all.

OK, so they are pro lock pickers. The safe has two locks. The alarm is screaming. The dog. The retired lockdown owner with a 6" Python.

Good luck!

Insurance doesn't help you if the items that are stolen are not legal to re-acquire at that time.
Some kind of safe, some kind of insurance, often some kind of alarm system. Nothing is of course perfect. So everyone has to decide what level of risk they want to accept. We have safes, insurance and alarm. Does not mean one day most stuff will not end up gone. If it does? Insurance would not totally replace it all but, it would pay me enough to have some real fun buying new stuff:D
Premiums are small enough that to me it's "worth it". Again everyone has to decide what they want to do here.

I used to install vaults.
Big vaults. Bank vaults.
Actually - I did the alarm systems and doors. That's really all there is now.
Vault wall forms are pretty much the same now for the last 35 years. Ever since the thermic/oxygen lance became popular.
Nobody is breaching a vault door these days - but burning out an access hole from the vault wall is (used to be) common.
It's kind of like working an oxy acetylene torch - get a spot melted a bit, blow out the dross and keep burning. (And blowing.)
Vault manufactures defense? Scrap iron, steel, crap, and lots of scrap glass are poured into the concrete form walls all in the attempts to mess up this melting / density mess. Once you get one bit melting off - the rest starts cooling and slagging up the entire thing making a mess - but no hole.

"Security" vs the $.
Or hassle.
Protection from professional attempt is never guaranteed.

lance.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top