JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is no place on God's green earth that you can secure something 100%. You can make it harder. You can hide it in the ground. You can put up all the deterrents you want. If an attacker has the time and the tools, there is nothing you can do to stop them. However, there are reasonable levels of security you can add and insurance to cover it in case that doesn't work. Any of these metal boxes, whether keyed or combination locked, are far better than having your guns stacked in the corner of a closet. With that said, I'd take the combination lock over a keyed entry nearly every time.

As for pad locks:

Take time to research and study your proposed security solutions and what level of acceptable risk you are willing to take. Usually a few minor changes to your plan can greatly increase your security.

I also wanted to ask you to share what type of gun cabinet lock you use and/or recommend... that hopefully is more secure than what I am using
Loud dog and a good security system. The 'safe' is just to keep random people from laying their hands on the guns without expending enough effort to require either some time or some preparation. If the neighborhood knows I've got a bunch of stuff in a safe I've already failed.

If your gun cabinet is not in your actual domicile, it is not a gun safe - it is a Busy Box for a thief.
Maybe. Mine is in a detached building surrounded by a security system that includes cameras, portal opening sensors, and motion sensors. I can hear in my house if someone is in my shop. Hard not to.

Maybe. Mine is in a detached building surrounded by a security system that includes cameras, portal opening sensors, and motion sensors. I can hear in my house if someone is in my shop. Hard not to.

I knew someone with a security compound would weigh in. HAHA!

I think the closer one gets to living in a Condo/Townhouse, the less likely they are to have a secure yard and out buildings.

I am just gonna put up a GUN FREE ZONE sign in my yard.

That way, potential ne'er do wells will see that I have no weapons, and they will just pass on by, or possibly lay their own arms down, because that is just human nature.

Even if they do not disarm, the fact that I have a sign giving them Legal Notice that I do not allow guns on my propertay means they can't touch me.

Gun cabinets are a joke. Get a proper gun safe.

The only thing in my safe is ammo, This is how the weapons are kept at my home. There's 2 more racks and another cabinet. Many are also on bipods on top of cabinets. I have a vault. PAX

011.jpg Most of the main battle rifles

001.jpg The hunting rigs

display.jpg 38 SKSs, 17 bolt guns, Bull pup & SKS Para T6 hanging

locks are defeatable. They are literally thousands of years old technology that are an inconvenience to criminals. Now most cannot pick a lock in seconds. Minutes is more accurate. But picking a lock would not be the generally preferred method by a criminal. Easier to cut a hole in a side or pry open. True security is easiest accomplished by obscurity.

I could have saved you time and money. The round locks can be opened with a BIC ink pen. remove the pen from the tube, split the plastic tube, tap the tube into the lock with a hammer. This forms a key by making dents in the plastic tube, turn to open takes seconds to open

I found a free gun cabinet on Facebook Marketplace yesterday. Solid metal unit from Cabela's with a standard lock but no key (the seller's renters had left it along with a bunch of other junk when they were evicted). Brought it home, drilled out the lock and replaced it with a new lock for which I had a key.

View attachment 849088

Drilling out the lock took a couple of minutes and made a lot of noise... but it was pretty easy to do.

I also received a lock picking set yesterday that I bought from Amazon. It came with a couple of locks to practice with, and after an hour or so I was able to consistently open those locks within a few seconds. I also went back to the lock I had just installed on my gun cabinet and was able to pick it in under 10 seconds.

So basically as a complete amateur I was able to quietly pick my own lock in less time than it would take for my garage door to fully open.

I wanted to share this to pop any false security bubbles you might be relying on if you think your guns are safe in a standard key locked gun cabinet. If that gun cabinet is in your garage, and your garage door hasn't been secured (see my other thread about how thieves can open your garage door in 6 seconds: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/ammo-storage-cabinet.365048/#post-2895343), then it will only take thieves a couple of minutes to get in and out with your guns.

I also wanted to ask you to share what type of gun cabinet lock you use and/or recommend... that hopefully is more secure than what I am using :)

I like liberty safe's, the first stimulus bought me mine.

I knew someone with a security compound would weigh in. HAHA!

I think the closer one gets to living in a Condo/Townhouse, the less likely they are to have a secure yard and out buildings.

arguably it's safer in suburban areas like this where there are police close by, and the neighbors can hear if something goes down.

but the same doesn't hold true in the cities...

The only thing in my safe is ammo, This is how the weapons are kept at my home. There's 2 more racks and another cabinet. Many are also on bipods on top of cabinets. I have a vault. PAX

View attachment 849236 Most of the main battle rifles

View attachment 849237 The hunting rigs

View attachment 849238 38 SKSs, 17 bolt guns, Bull pup & SKS Para T6 hanging

You wouldn't care to adopt a 65 YO would you? I'm clean, can cook and do gardening and house work. ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top