JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Liberal Gun Club opposes Washington states new omnibus gun control initiative | The Liberal Gun Club

For immediate release:

Measure I-1639 which will be on the ballot this fall for voters in the state of Washington, and while we all want to reduce violence and make our communities safer, this bloated measure not only fails to appreciably make the state safer, it would add onerous and troubling language to the legal framework which will not only fail in the stated goal, as an omnibus "safety" bill, voters are unable to evaluate and vote for the individual pieces that may have merit on their own, and instead must judge the entire 22 page package while in the voting booth. This alone makes the package worth rejecting.

First, some background. Despite the impression one might get from listening to the news, we are in one of the safest points in the history of this country from a violence perspective. The murder rate today nationally is near the same rate as it was in the 1950's, and in Washington specifically, our already low murder rate is down 40% from the 1990's. The major focus of this law revolves around semi-automatic rifles, which account for 1.6% of gun deaths in the state- more people were murdered with a knife in the state than were killed by a rifle of any kind, including semi-automatic rifles.

In fact, Washington has an even bigger problem than the murder rate, we have a suicide problem. In Washington, 77% of the deaths involving a firearm are the result of someone taking their own life- and rather than focusing on this, we instead see this bill focusing on things that are largely a distraction and make it indeed seem that we are "doing something", when in fact we should be "doing something" that actually makes a difference in the lives of the common citizen.

There's a lot to unpack with this bill, so we'll just highlight some of the more egregious issues.

1. Redefining all semi-automatic rifles as "assault rifles". Not only is this language intentionally inflammatory and intended to invoke a visceral emotional response from the voting public, it also means that even common hunting rifles are now put into that category. Remember that they only account for 1.6% of all gun deaths in the state.
  2. Onerous training requirements. We here at the Liberal Gun Club are big fans of training. In fact, it's one of those things that we are very much so focused on as an organization and we have classes and instructors nationally. That said, the requirement to have had a sanctioned training for every purchase within the last 5 years, rather than a competency test does nothing more than create an unwieldy mechanism to reduce gun ownership. It's also a class barrier, as both time and money is in short supply for those who are lower on the socio-economic ladder, and those may indeed be the folks who need access the most if they live in a dangerous neighborhood or need an effective method to protect their livelihood in the country.
  3. Safe storage- while we actively encourage everyone to safely store their firearms according to their situation, this new law can be used as a bludgeon by prosecutors to penalize those who were victimized already. If we were serious about safe storage, instead there would be funds to give gun owners these locks and/or safes at a reduced or no charge.

Given these issues with the proposed law, the Liberal Gun Club encourages everyone in the state of Washington to vote no on this ballot measure.

I've gone back and forth on whether I should post this due to lack of faith in people being able to act like adults and follow our rules (as exhibited in other threads). I do, however, want to give it a shot. Please be mature and respectful. @Moderators will be watching this one closely.

It's not "Washington states" but "the State of Washington's......"

Just saying. :D

I've gone back and forth on whether I should post this due to lack of faith in people being able to act like adults and follow our rules (as exhibited in other threads). I do, however, want to give it a shot. Please be mature and respectful. @Moderators will be watching this one closely.
Not much to worry about on this one, Joe. I posted it a week ago and no problems.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top