JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So carry it on your waist. Not your neck. Those ball and chain necklaces will break at the clasp. But that's not a guarantee I would put my life on.
With lifting and dynamic movement I'd have to disagree with waist carry, and off the body carry in her situation even more so. I think the neck knife (paracord) is probably the best, secure option despite it being a potential noose in an attack. I figure if she is able to retrieve the knife, his efforts of choking her are minimal as she could slash his forearms.

You are right about the clasp breaking, I have personally seen those ball-chain necklaces break off and the knife is then lost..
(I've lost 2 myself on runs).

With lifting and dynamic movement I'd have to disagree with waist carry, and off the body carry in her situation even more so. I think the neck knife (paracord) is probably the best, secure option despite it being a potential noose in an attack. I figure if she is able to retrieve the knife, his efforts of choking her are minimal as she could slash his forearms.

You are right about the clasp breaking, I have personally seen those ball-chain necklaces break off and the knife is then lost..
:s0002::s0002:

Would never use paracord!. You'd strangle yourself/get strangled by someone else. 550 cord is way too strong for use as a necklace. You need to use the ball/chain necklace, or if you don't like that, use a much lighter cordage that will snap under lighter loads. As a rock climber, mountaineer, and whitewater kayaker, I have used these much lighter nylon cords for safety knives to cut away ropes and webbing, for hanging radios around my neck on larger expeditions, and for cutting myself out of my boat when I got pinned against a rock and was going under with my legs trapped by the kayak wrapped around the boulder. A heavier cord would have strangled me on many of those occasions. In others, I couldn't even have ripped it off my neck to deploy the knife to save my azz...

NO PARACORD!!!

550 cord would get you killed.

You could easily carry a blade IWB while working out. Ask me how I know.

She got REALLY lucky. Glad it worked out for her.

She built up enough distance running around the gym that she could have run right out the door and kept going. Which probably would have been her best option.

Often times there are also lots of things in a gym that can be used as an improvised striking weapon. Like a 5 lb dumbbell or something similar.

I have used these much lighter nylon cords for safety knives to cut away ropes and webbing, for hanging radios around my neck on larger expeditions, and for cutting myself out of my boat when I got pinned against a rock and was going under with my legs trapped by the kayak wrapped around the boulder. A heavier cord would have strangled me on many of those occasions. In others, I couldn't even have ripped it off my neck to deploy the knife to save my azz...
JESUS Dude! You are The Adventurer.

Need to Write a BOOK and sell it on EBAY!

Crap! I might even order one! Seriously, though!

JESUS Dude! You are The Adventurer.

Need to Write a BOOK and sell it on EBAY!

Crap! I might even order one! Seriously, though!
I've had more than a few (many, actually) people tell me that I needed to write a book about my life and times. But it's never really seemed to me to be an undertaking which I desired to pursue, mostly because I've always been of the mind that the adventures I've had were pretty much run-of-the-mill for the pursuit at hand. Just kinda "par for the course" type stuff. Adventures, misadventures, perilous instances, boring nothingness, more adventures...

550 cord would get you killed.

You could easily carry a blade IWB while working out. Ask me how I know.
Idk man, I've carried while lifting, off the body is the only way I can do so comfortably otherwise it limits my movement.. and I truly lift at the gym.

I think we may just flat out disagree on the paracord/ball chain and choking issue, I think if she was able to draw the knife despite being caught up by the neck she could still use the knife. Say what you will but if his forearm is being gouged with a neck knife I don't think he'll be holding on.

However, this does spark a great thread concept gym carry and the implementation of gym EDC. I'm actually quite interested in your setup if you ever decide to post or PM! I'm always open to new carry methods/tools.

Idk man, I've carried while lifting, off the body is the only way I can do so comfortably otherwise it limits my movement.. and I truly lift at the gym.

I think we may just flat out disagree on the paracord/ball chain and choking issue, I think if she was able to draw the knife despite being caught up by the neck she could still use the knife. Say what you will but if his forearm is being gouged with a neck knife I don't think he'll be holding on.

However, this does spark a great thread concept gym carry and the implementation of gym EDC. I'm actually quite interested in your setup if you ever decide to post or PM! I'm always open to new carry methods/tools.
I don't carry a gun while lifting. But I do carry a blade on my waistband.

I do carry a gun while running outside in a chest rig.

:s0002::s0002:

Would never use paracord!. You'd strangle yourself/get strangled by someone else. 550 cord is way too strong for use as a necklace. You need to use the ball/chain necklace, or if you don't like that, use a much lighter cordage that will snap under lighter loads. As a rock climber, mountaineer, and whitewater kayaker, I have used these much lighter nylon cords for safety knives to cut away ropes and webbing, for hanging radios around my neck on larger expeditions, and for cutting myself out of my boat when I got pinned against a rock and was going under with my legs trapped by the kayak wrapped around the boulder. A heavier cord would have strangled me on many of those occasions. In others, I couldn't even have ripped it off my neck to deploy the knife to save my azz...

NO PARACORD!!!
Fair enough, I just perceive the concept differently with enough distance and situational awareness. I'd hope she would be at the ready far sooner than being snuck up on and strangled. But I do understand the issues with paracord being "too" strong.

What knife do you go with? I'm truly open to trying something new. Gym edc is a fun concept I'd like to work on.
I carry the same blade at the gym as I do in my daily EDC. It's the Amtac Northman.

9DC53B9A-63BE-4278-B8A8-D5FB97B6FB2E.jpeg CF7B6973-5548-4F4C-844C-C431E655D9D5.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top