JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The commercial I just seen just got my blood boiling. The commercial said Measure 81 would put the commercial fisher man out of work. In reality it only puts the LAZY ones out of work! All the measure is it to make them switch to SANE nets which ocean commercial fisherman already use!

Fact is GILL nets KILL whatever they touch regardless of if they are too small or not. Its destroying the ecosystem

Also the state of oregon has already bought them for the 170,000= GILL netters all the need to do is change them out!

(MOST) GILL netters are HIGHLY unregulated CRIMINALS that keep tons of illegal fish and use more than double legel size nets on a regular basis and when they are caught there big $$ lawyers and Gill Net association gets them out of it.

Oregon Voters for everyones and there future kids/grandkids VOTE YES on measure 81 and BAN GILL nets for good!!

They just dont wanna change from a 1 man job to a 2 man job (YES and CREATE new jobs to support another family!!)

Support another family? Are you serious?

By your own admission it will double their labor costs without increasing the income. That's not how you support another family, that's how you go out of business.
Of course they dont want to switch.

I have no dog in this fight. I've never heard of the measure or gill nets. Heck, I didnt even know there were different kinds of netting for fishing. All the information I needed to know it's a bad idea, I got from your post.

Thankfully you are not the arbiter of "sane", otherwise we'd all be in big trouble.

ok so you think destroying the ecosystem with nets that kill every species of fish they touch is a GOOD idea?? Gonna suck when SHTF and you cant feed your family cause you cant catch any fish cause there all GONE. They make plenty of money doing it thats why they can afford better lawyers that get them out of trouble when they out right disrespect all laws regulating them and the laws applied to ALL fisherman

I'm not worried. From the few minutes of research i've managed, I've found that they've been in steady use since ancient times.

As a matter of fact. I'm thinking that a gill net wouldnt be a bad thing to have around for a possible SHTF scenario.

This place seems to have some pretty good pricing: <broken link removed>

I got a letter in the mail from Duncan Law who's address was in Astoria.(Currently Rogue brewery at pier 39) It was urging me to vote no on measure 81, basically saying the same thing just voting the other way. I googled Duncan Law and he retired in 1984 at the age of 65. OSU has a seafood research facility named after him. I seriously doubt he wrote the letter.

Let the people you already pay manage the resource. Vote no on it. IT IS NOT TIME TO BAN GILL NETTING. Gill Fishing is fine. Regular fishing is fine. Stop watching bs commercials. The last F&W vote voters said NO more dogs to hunt cougars. Banned it(except to manage them * cough* cough*. Guess what? Lots of folks like yourself all up in arms. Now we are paying a few hunters big bucks to hunt them with dogs, whereas before it was "banned" by the voters, hunters pulled tags and payed the citizens to hunt them. Really. Ask any Fish and Wildlife worker how much they have to pay to reduce the cougars via hunting with dogs, you'll be shocked.

JUST SAY NO. To everything. NO NO NO! Or come back in a bit and complain how the "lack of money is now decimating support for the resource and we need to raise taxes to cover it". Really. let the experts in Fish and Wildlife do their jobs, or fire them all and save the scratch - and we'll manage by idiocracy. As in, "hey, I eat fish, I'm an expert and I saw this commercial so vote this way". Clueless people like us getting whipsawed by money interests to vote against our self interest.

regards to all

ok so you think destroying the ecosystem with nets that kill every species of fish they touch is a GOOD idea?? Gonna suck when SHTF and you cant feed your family cause you cant catch any fish cause there all GONE. They make plenty of money doing it thats why they can afford better lawyers that get them out of trouble when they out right disrespect all laws regulating them and the laws applied to ALL fisherman

S Gonna HTF when you see local fisheries going out of business and the price of fish skyrocketing. Everyone wants everything good but none of the cost.

No Antibiotics, No Pesticides, No Growth Hormones > But they don't buy organic because it costs too much. :/

Uhhhh,the lazy way is to purse seine,not gill net.
And the purse seiners take all kinds of fish.Whatever gets in the het before they close it. And it all dies too. The good stuff and the stuff they aren't supposed to catch.
Alaska Purse Seine Salmon Fishing - YouTube

So any netting of fish kills all that gets if the way and neither is a lazy man's way out.
I personally don't like either. Gill netting is more often used in rivers.I think they should all be banned in rivers for natives and commercials.

Remember,any study can be made to go the way of who's paying for the study.The party paying for the study will be the one editing the study.
So the study will always look more favorable for the party's goal

Again.I don't like either way of netting,but anything to eliminate gill netting is a good thing

Again.I don't like either way of netting,but anything to eliminate gill netting is a good thing
I agree. Especially when through the use of the ESA and it's application regarding some of these fish, other activities on the Columbia and the Snake rivers are being scrutinized and regulated beyond reason.

But I'm having a problem with one law on one side of the river that only affects one group.
81 won't stop the gill-netting of salmon, steelhead and sturgeon (just because they aren't targeted doesn't mean they don't die in these nets).
There are still tribal nets and WA will still allow their netters.

When the Columbia River Compact decides to stop gill netting, I'll get behind their efforts.
Until that happens, efforts like Measure 81, on only one side of the river will do little or nothing for the fish, except cost the fishermen moving expenses, and change-of-address fees to move across the river.

I agree. Especially when through the use of the ESA and it's application regarding some of these fish, other activities on the Columbia and the Snake rivers are being scrutinized and regulated beyond reason.

But I'm having a problem with one law on one side of the river that only affects one group.
81 won't stop the gill-netting of salmon, steelhead and sturgeon (just because they aren't targeted doesn't mean they don't die in these nets).
There are still tribal nets and WA will still allow their netters.

When the Columbia River Compact decides to stop gill netting, I'll get behind their efforts.
Until that happens, efforts like Measure 81, on only one side of the river will do little or nothing for the fish, except cost the fishermen moving expenses, and change-of-address fees to move across the river.

Well this is definatly a step in the right direction. Hopefully WA will Ban Gill nets too in the near future. I know I will vote when it goes on the ballot for us.

Thats true too they have enough free money coming in and get more and more greedy everyday. How many ppls seen that West sky commercial they rape you with 89% interest no wonder they wanna give you 10,000 on loan in would cost the rest of your life to pay it off with those rates.

But really anyone with a gill net is a problem. And anyone that disregards the valuable resources we have is a problem. The point is to take what we need to survive and also work to maintain those resources. Many gillnetters just want to pillage it all now and forget about future generations

You ought to go out with a gill-netter and see it first hand.
Ask how many licensed gill-netters 30 years ago, how many now.
My uncle owned a License here in Washington, "yes owned, he could use it any year he chose to pay the fee".
If you want to to go gill-netting, you would have to buy somebody's tag to fish.
If I remember correctly the state was buying tags back to reduce the number of gill-netters on the river.
I believe my uncle retired his tag when he retire.
Also gill-netters have very short seasons.

Last Edited:
No they dont they are always in Youngs Bay and about 20 miles up river constantly. They also get TONS of quota breaks from "incidental" catches to getting the rest of the Sportsmans Sturgeon quota this past Sturgeon season. Its quite ridiculous what they get away with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top