JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Precisely WHY I started this thread in first place. The way I see it if I can get ONE person to vote YES it will be worth it. And YES WHEN it goes on the WA ballot I will VOTE to pass it! And I am sure it will. Its all steps in the right direction one after the other...

I highly doubt that. I know the CCA is pushing for it big time. They helped rebuild the ecosystem on the east coast and then came here a couple years ago to help ours. We will see what happens tuesday. Nice talkin to ya priest have a good one

Gill nets are not the problem. Native Americans with Gill Nets are the real problem

Until the laws are equally applied to everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, or "treaty" I will not support any laws that restrict the rights of one group of people over another group.

Keep the nets or ban them completely (including natives).

The only thing this measure would do is make more money for the natives and their gill nets.

I replied to MEASURE 81 in this post https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/yes-on-81.104947/#post699557
I linked to it, read my post #16 than come back and try again.
Here is the link to a paper written on the subject and yes it works:
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

I'm not worried. From the few minutes of research i've managed, I've found that they've been in steady use since ancient times.
As a matter of fact. I'm thinking that a gil net wouldnt be a bad thing to have around for a possible SHTF scenario.

This place seems to have some pretty good pricing: <broken link removed>

Contained in the link of my past post the design of the nets have changed from "ancient times", the material today does not decay at the same rate, since you seem to be aware of the age of the design and you only spent a "few minutes" finding out what you needed to know maybe you should study why the modern nets are more damaging than the older nets.

Let the people you already pay manage the resource. Vote no on it. IT IS NOT TIME TO BAN GILL NETTING. Gill Fishing is fine. Regular fishing is fine. Stop watching bs commercials. The last F&W vote voters said NO more dogs to hunt cougars. Banned it(except to manage them * cough* cough*. Guess what? Lots of folks like yourself all up in arms. Now we are paying a few hunters big bucks to hunt them with dogs, whereas before it was "banned" by the voters, hunters pulled tags and payed the citizens to hunt them. Really. Ask any Fish and Wildlife worker how much they have to pay to reduce the cougars via hunting with dogs, you'll be shocked.

JUST SAY NO. To everything. NO NO NO! Or come back in a bit and complain how the "lack of money is now decimating support for the resource and we need to raise taxes to cover it". Really. let the experts in Fish and Wildlife do their jobs, or fire them all and save the scratch - and we'll manage by idiocracy. As in, "hey, I eat fish, I'm an expert and I saw this commercial so vote this way". Clueless people like us getting whipsawed by money interests to vote against our self interest.

regards to all

"Clueless people like us"? Really? throw in a few hunting issues that have no bearing on this issue, insist that we use the paid managers to do their job, even tho these paid people work for the Government? You now trust them? Really? Perhaps reading the link I provided will show the length and type of studies done on the Gill Net issue. One question, have you ever heard of GHOST NETS? Naw I didn't think so. There are people who have a clue, maybe you should find some and get the facts.

S Gonna HTF when you see local fisheries going out of business and the price of fish skyrocketing. Everyone wants everything good but none of the cost.

No Antibiotics, No Pesticides, No Growth Hormones > But they don't buy organic because it costs too much. :/

What the hay does any of this have to do with Gill Nets? You just sling info unrelated to the issue and expect to fear monger others to nod their head and say" Ya I agree", well I don't.

Well, if there was some science behind the venom, perhaps....but most of these "feel good" laws wind up costing more money and doing more damage to things than leaving it alone....

Spotted owls - save the trees, put loggers out of work. Off set from the streams, put dairies out of business, UGMAs that tell people what they can do with their land....all feel good laws that made sense to some one.

Democracy is a lamb and two wolves figuring out what's for dinner.

The link #16 provided has a link called "an error" click on it, read the page and look at the science it might suprise you. The rest of your post is a "red herring" pun intended. Owls, really?

I need to get some of the nets that "kill everything it touches". I'll put them up on all my windows so none of the insects and burglars will survive to the other side.

And what about all the commercial gill net fishermen in Washington State? This law would not affect them in the slightest, except to give them a better chance at catching more fish. If something like this needs to be done, it needs to be done at the federal level so it affects all the fishermen; not just the ones in a single state. Unilateral disarmament does not usually work very well.

elsie

Taking the nets out of Oregon will decrease the number of GHOST NETS in the river, it is a start. Banning the nets altogether is the best possible outcome. Just because this law doen't take out all nets doesn't make it wrong.

You love that sensationalism don't you? You have no idea how things work, your brain has been blue printed with false information and you spew it constantly.

Go up and actually read the post about the Oregon Wildlife Fish and Game. This bill is nothing but sensationalism, it has nothing to do with fixing anything.

Really? And you do? I am still waiting for someone like you to go out on a recovery effort for lost nets, come back and share what you learned. Only you have the info and knowledge to organize and run the river. RIGHTTTTTTT. Go ahead and insult more people, you haven't shared one piece of evidence, or a link. By the by there are private voluteer organizations who do go out and recover ghost nets, why don't you find one and really see what they do?

Until the laws are equally applied to everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, or "treaty" I will not support any laws that restrict the rights of one group of people over another group.

Keep the nets or ban them completely (including natives).

The only thing this measure would do is make more money for the natives and their gill nets.

To bad, perhaps all laws should be done by your method. Slavery would still be here, they did it in small pieces of legislation. Read up on how most laws are formed and passed. Provided links will show the time line and laws passed to acheive banning slavery. Oh by the way most changes to existing laws that span multi jurisdiction lines take a similar path. Ya start with one jurisdiction and move on, it doesn't mean because ya can't get it all than ya just leave it alone.
Emancipation Proclamation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Open these up, read them, watch them, it has the info so many say doesn't exist.
If you don't like them or disagree with them please provide your source of info.
This real. Please read these.
http://centralpt.com/upload/502/Newsletters/9973_Newsletter5.pdf
<broken link removed>
Ghost Nets
<broken link removed>

This one is long and has all the references you could ever want.
Tackling Marine Debris in the 21st Century

If you don't or won't look at any link I provided please watch this one. The recovery effort is being done by sportsman, people who fish and hunt. These are not liberal nuts trying to ban your fishing.
Ghost Nets in the Columbia River How Scary are

After watching this go donate money, your time, your boat, or whatever you can to this effort.

The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance, it's the Illusion of Knowledge.

Jim

Nice try. F'it then - kill all the fish. If the white man won't do it then the indians will. Probably the only way to deal with this is to tear the whole thing down and start from scratch.

As long as you ignore the impact of Native fishing/poaching then there is no reason to change the laws.

Nice try. F'it then - kill all the fish. If the white man won't do it then the indians will. Probably the only way to deal with this is to tear the whole thing down and start from scratch.

As long as you ignore the impact of Native fishing/poaching then there is no reason to change the laws.

So 2 wrongs do make a right? Banning Oregon gill nets is a start, next comes Washington, and Native Americans. But your biggotry toward Indians blinds you to stopping wasteful harvest practises, heck if "Indians" can do it why can't "Whites", well heck, ifn "Whites" can't do it "F*** it, tear it down, kill all the fish".WOW! Good on you, lets just "tear it down", hell lets just kill all the fish, cause them damn Natives can do it,
How on earth can you say F*** it if the Natives won't stop" lets kill all of the fish", that will show them. Really? You are that short sighted? Kinda like killing all the buffalo to prevent Indians from eating? I make no claims that the fish are going away. no prediction of laying waste the earth, I said wasting fish is nonsense.

That does it. I'm buying a gill net.

You guys convinced me.

Please go buy a Gill Net, I want you to, really really bad, it means ya will have wasted your money. That is progress.

Not one of you has addressed the Ghost Net problem, I wonder why? No chit chat, fast come back, rude comment? What, ya got nothing but anger, biggotry, lame excuses, and red herrings.
What do you propose to do about the Ghost Nets? If not this than WHAT?
Science has studied this, the problem is real, fish are wasted, wild life is wasted, and the best ya got, F*** it kill all the fish?

Instead of saying no, why doesn't someone provide a different plan, bet ya can't?
Ya know why? Cause gill nets are a poor choice for selective harvest, really poor.
Gill nets can not pick what to catch, what don't ya get about that?

Jim

You have no clue how aggressive and irresponsible the native fishery is. Look to Canada to see how bad it is. They will take "commercial" orders up there and no one does anything to stop them.

My BIL is native and tells me how they net the entire mouth of rivers while sitting on the shore shooting seals. If whitey did this they would be in jail.

I'm sick of the double standard and won't support anything that doesn't address it.

You have no clue how aggressive and irresponsible the native fishery is. Look to Canada to see how bad it is. They will take "commercial" orders up there and no one does anything to stop them.

My BIL is native and tells me how they net the entire mouth of rivers while sitting on the shore shooting seals. If whitey did this they would be in jail.

I'm sick of the double standard and won't support anything that doesn't address it.

Yep! Ya just keep showing your true colors, do nothing as long as them "Indians" get away with it.
SOOOOOOO...... If not banning gill nets for "Whitey" (I can't believe you just said that, makes it so easy to show your true colors) what? By the way this isn't Canada (red herring, again) this is about Oregon, our fishery, and our vote. I can't do a thing about Canada, can you?

Jim

PS you have no idea what I know. I do know you haven't addressed the issue, measure 81 and the effects of Ghost nets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top