JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the usual n00b question: what do I pick up next? I've found I really like the Nub Maduro 460, the Oliva Maduro Especial Robusto and a couple others. I'm looking for something Cameroon or San Andres, medium body and not too spicy to take a break from the heavy ligeros and maduros. Under $8/stick B&M would be nice, but I can be swayed... Any takers?
One of my favorites is the Rocky Patel Vintage 2003 Cameroon

So the usual n00b question: what do I pick up next? I've found I really like the Nub Maduro 460, the Oliva Maduro Especial Robusto and a couple others. I'm looking for something Cameroon or San Andres, medium body and not too spicy to take a break from the heavy ligeros and maduros. Under $8/stick B&M would be nice, but I can be swayed... Any takers?

Id order a wide variety sampler, either multi brand and or multi flavor range.

You can get a lot of fairly high end cigars for $3-4 each and normally get 3-5 of each flavor so you can further narrow down your preferences.

Just how I've been doing it.

Cigar of the month clubs can give you a variety, take out the having to choose part and it's like getting a Christmas gift in the mail every month:D

Agree with Joe. For me $8 is a high end cigar that never really goes on sale like Arturo fuente, Ashton, padron. For $4 online u can get Kristoff which for me I have never found anything better.

In terms of value, I would suggest exploring more brands etc via online purchases but some people want to pay the extra for B&M shop and I totally respect that. One value example is the RP 2003 mentioned above. U can get a 20 cigar bundle of the RP vintage 2003 Cameroon fumas for $25 at the cheapest to $40 at full online price. I have been happy with those and actually they have burned better than most of the last RP non-fumas I've tried. Just a suggestion and feel free to ignore.

Id order a wide variety sampler, either multi brand and or multi flavor range.

You can get a lot of fairly high end cigars for $3-4 each and normally get 3-5 of each flavor so you can further narrow down your preferences.

Just how I've been doing it.

Cigar of the month clubs can give you a variety, take out the having to choose part and it's like getting a Christmas gift in the mail every month:D
I started with a great deal on the Oliva sampler from Holt's; that was a good way to go, though I couldn't really appreciate the nicer ones in the pack as my palate hadn't been prepped. I did find the most expensive one (Master Blend 3) wasn't my favorite. I'll see if I can squeak a regular delivery past the boss. Where do you recommend?

Agree with Joe. For me $8 is a high end cigar that never really goes on sale like Arturo fuente, Ashton, padron. For $4 online u can get Kristoff which for me I have never found anything better.

In terms of value, I would suggest exploring more brands etc via online purchases but some people want to pay the extra for B&M shop and I totally respect that. One value example is the RP 2003 mentioned above. U can get a 20 cigar bundle of the RP vintage 2003 Cameroon fumas for $25 at the cheapest to $40 at full online price. I have been happy with those and actually they have burned better than most of the last RP non-fumas I've tried. Just a suggestion and feel free to ignore.
I'll grab a Kristoff from my B&M; any one in particular or look for a San Andres/Cameroon on the shelf?

I started with a great deal on the Oliva sampler from Holt's; that was a good way to go, though I couldn't really appreciate the nicer ones in the pack as my palate hadn't been prepped. I did find the most expensive one (Master Blend 3) wasn't my favorite. I'll see if I can squeak a regular delivery past the boss. Where do you recommend?

I prefer Cigars International personally- I buy 90% of my stuff there. They have 'Joe's Deal if the day' which gives you free shipping on the whole order so I try to time my buys along with something I either know I like/want/want to try.

I keep an eye on Cigar's.com because they also have 3 daily deals with free shipping on your whole order but in general I find CI deals to be better.

Honestly, I'm pretty tired of Holt's. I get an email EVERY single day on some version of a super sale where everything is 92% off and as low as $.99 - so I've stopped even looking there.

I'll grab a Kristoff from my B&M; any one in particular or look for a San Andres/Cameroon on the shelf?
I have never found one I didn't like but the connecticut I liked less than the others. Have not tried their San Andres yet. Hard to go wrong with them, kristania, original criollo, kristania maduro, maduro are the ones I've tried. They also have some much stronger ones that I have not explored yet (and may never actually cuz I don't like full body as much as medium). B and M could recommend for ur body preference I would think. I dunno what a B and M would charge for one though might be way up there at least in Pdx where a $2.50-$3 online cigar is $14-$16 at a b&m.

I prefer Cigars International personally- I buy 90% of my stuff there. They have 'Joe's Deal if the day' which gives you free shipping on the whole order so I try to time my buys along with something I either know I like/want/want to try.

I keep an eye on Cigar's.com because they also have 3 daily deals with free shipping on your whole order but in general I find CI deals to be better.

Honestly, I'm pretty tired of Holt's. I get an email EVERY single day on some version of a super sale where everything is 92% off and as low as $.99 - so I've stopped even looking there.
I have a CI account and an order on the way; I imagine as I get more experienced I'll find my favorites, but I'm pretty happy with both so far. Do you find non-box (singles, 5-packs) to be a bit dry? The Nub box I got is smoking perfectly right out of the gate.

You can search the samplers at CI by body if you just follow the sampler link from the home page.

As far as shipping from CI I've had stuff that was just fine on day 1 and stuff that burned a little wonky.

I think a lot depends on the weather in PA and the weather in WA while it's being shipped.

I just try to let everything rest for 2-4 weeks now but often times I want to try one straight from the front porch when it arrives and I'm rarely super disappointed

Must be my lucky day! :p
AFDD6587-DF42-40D1-94ED-1D2A1E7B2FB7.jpeg
Was on pest control duty and there it was! ;)
06020053-7B4B-4AAC-B4CA-5A6574EFC42F.jpeg

Last Edited:
Only an inch into this AB Tempus Maduro and I already know it's gonna be a strong one.:s0155:

Thing smoke like a forest fire on the draw and barely smolders at rest. Shaping up to be pretty tasty.

2B711A8B-4BD4-4EDC-BA64-7F96F944DA74.jpeg

Only an inch into this AB Tempus Maduro and I already know it's gonna be a strong one.:s0155:

Thing smoke like a forest fire on the draw and barely smolders at rest. Shaping up to be pretty tasty.

View attachment 700679
Cool let us know how strong body and how much of any pepper or bitter. I saw those as factory seconds (or fumas? Can't remember) for a very reasonable price and almost bought. There are a couple different kinds of 2nds of it as I recall but I'm not sure.

Last Edited:
Got some 25mm x 140mm tubes in today and some plastic plugs so did some "reloading";). Plastic plugs are much better than cork but while they work well on this 25x140 tube they don't fit in the 25x200 tube due to wall thickness so I'll have to find another kind of plastic plug for those.

The 25x140mm tube size only works for 5.0" robustos and no larger. A 54 ring will not fit into this 25x140 (almost fits but mouth wants to grab the label) but 54 will fit into the 25x200 tube. If anybody wants to do this pm me and I can send u some tricks that I learned via trial and error. Price on these tubes with corks was $16ish for 25 tubes on amazon. I would suggest not using corks cuz they break up too bad when peeling off the wax.

Also I tried the tobacco instead of sponge thing and it worked great. U have to use pieces of a bigger leaf though cuz any tiny broken bits will move down into the tube and not look as good. One sacrificial robusto was enough to do 15 tubes worth. So don't throw out those junker cigars cuz there is a use for them after all ha ha.
863EBF6E-981D-42BA-9B22-7934CDD8E5A6.jpeg
7AE0CCEE-5478-4809-815C-8E09714C4305.jpeg
Re wax heating cup any metal cup this is a little sauce cup:
AD0850FD-959A-40B6-9ADB-DF1B6129F8AD.jpeg
87599EE5-3436-4878-A99D-376C3BC37DED.jpeg
B837E9F9-AD8A-4BF5-A687-F6D8231349E0.jpeg

Last Edited:
Cool let us know how strong body and how much of any pepper or bitter. I saw those as factory seconds (or fumas? Can't remember) for a very reasonable price and almost bought. There are a couple different kinds of 2nds of it as I recall but I'm not sure.

half thru it now.

pepper from the first inch is gone (I have no threshold for pepper in cooking or cigars)

Has a nice dark roast coffee flavor, some bitter chocolate on the finish.

A little sweetness but the body is so strong it's in the very background.

There is definitely an evolution and depth to the flavors that keeps it from getting boring.

I like strong cigars and have eaten today but this is on the edge of turning me green so it's probably an 8-9 on strength, or I'm having an off day and this is my first when I normally start with a medium strength.

Would be excellent after a big steak dinner.

Wish I would have bought a box a week or two ago when CI had a huge discount.

half thru it now.

pepper from the first inch is gone (I have no threshold for pepper in cooking or cigars)

Has a nice dark roast coffee flavor, some bitter chocolate on the finish.

A little sweetness but the body is so strong it's in the very background.

There is definitely an evolution and depth to the flavors that keeps it from getting boring.

I like strong cigars and have eaten today but this is on the edge of turning me green so it's probably an 8-9 on strength, or I'm having an off day and this is my first when I normally start with a medium strength.

Would be excellent after a big steak dinner.

Wish I would have bought a box a week or two ago when CI had a huge discount.
Cool. Have seen these as fumas on cigarbid for around $28 for a 20 pack bundle. May not be maduro though can't remember.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top