JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah but you can't even get away from those kids on sleds:confused:
I tell you,if Salmon wasn't 150+ miles to a real city,I would have bought one of those instead of my nice little half ton.They drive those around like cars here and there is thousands of mile to explore with those or quads.
If you had one of these in the city,I mean if SHTF who cares about plates? This would really be a great BOV with only about 4' width and 5' height, you could go about anywhere in town.
Find a low spot in the river and get in and out of the river bottom where your truck would get high centered
I can cross water that is almost up to my chest and if I snorkle it. It could be as deep as I would want to go.
This is definatly fun I've jumped it 20" with a full load and passenger. And had it going 78 mph on flat ground and I live at 4000 ft.
If I lived in Idaho, I would probably never drive a real car.

Well, if I lived in an urban area and had to flee before hostilities began, I would choose a pickup w/trailer and haul as much as I could.

Once hostilities commence, it would have to be on foot and cart to the nearest waterway; float out in the cover of darkness.

Fooling professional soldiers would be tough (technology and all), so my main hope would be to get around the gangs. Successful post society movements would require much more stealth (reliability) than a vehicle could possibly provide...besides, what's the rush, gonna be late for work?

The big game changer would be a technologically degraded society; post EMP of some type where most of the unshielded modern electronics were fried.

My first BOV was a Greyhound bus enroute to the Fresno MEPS back in 79; but some people like to wait until the last minute.o_O

Bicycle. Or if you're not in good shape, electric assisted bicycle w/ a solar battery tender. No fuel necessary, and you can pedal while you're recharging the battery.
Good luck getting around in large vehicles...

OK the boating thing sounds like a great deal.yes you can see your adversary from a ways off.BUT it would be like taking the back roads across the pass.There are folks that know the area better than you.The have boats also.They know where the good hiding places are.And hwere to attack the new crowd.
And sail/blow boats sound great.No fuel costs! Haha at the price of not getting away from anyone but Gilligan in his row boat
The romance of boat living sounds like a lot of fun.And it is till you run out of money .
Good luck my friend

a nice little diesel cruiser would be the ticket, 700 to 1000 mile range. most of those "other guys" with boats will be out of gas in a few hours, a commodity that will be scarce and difficult to acquire. Of course I refer to the beer swilling weekend fisherman type boaters. In fact most of the fast boats of any size are dependant on a steady supply of gasoline, if they have any brains at all they won't waste the resources they have.

It's not actually any more expensive than owning an R.V., it's just that in my experience folks who own either and have no skills to maintain them complain about the costs the loudest. An average man with above average mechanical skills can do quite well with either.

Boats are more of a mobile BOL than a BOV.

A BOV is to get you to your BOL, and unless the only way to your BOL is by water and/or you can get there by water, then a boat isn't really a BOV.

I spent 4 years in SAR (USCG) on really tough boats (MLBs - 44' and 52') in really rough weather on the ocean, and before that on the Columbia/Snake/Spokane in a 21 I/O on sometimes rough water and in the winter.

Unless I was somewhere up in the Puget Sound or along the Canadian western coast above Vancouver up to SE Alaska, I wouldn't want to be on a boat if SHTF and only then to get to my BOL on some island or remote part of the coast.

One of the problems is that unless you hug the coast real close (as in inlets and rivers and the passages up along the Canadian coast) you are pretty much out there for anyone to see you.

Yes it can be hard to find a boat on the open ocean (tell me about it - that was our biggest challenge in SAR, even when we had the exact position), but at the same time there is really no place to hide when on open water, and any aircraft can pretty much run you down once they see you - boats, even the fastest ones, are very slow compared to aircraft.

Beyond that, you are pretty much open to attack by larger and/or faster craft. A pretty large craft may be slower, but it can sometimes send something like a RHIB after you - and most any boat you are going to live on, and even many smaller boats, are not going to outrun a RHIB with powerful engines. Also, if you are hugging the coastline, then you are open to attack from the land.

Then there are all the maintenance issues, and problems dealing with weather, and costs.

Like anything else, a boat has pluses and minuses, but I would only consider one if I was in the areas I mentioned above, and I am getting too old to be up there.

A BOV is to get you to your BOL, and unless the only way to your BOL is by water and/or you can get there by water, then a boat isn't really a BOV.

I spent 4 years in SAR (USCG) on really tough boats (MLBs - 44' and 52') in really rough weather on the ocean, and before that on the Columbia/Snake/Spokane in a 21 I/O on sometimes rough water and in the winter.

Unless I was somewhere up in the Puget Sound or along the Canadian western coast above Vancouver up to SE Alaska, I wouldn't want to be on a boat if SHTF and only then to get to my BOL on some island or remote part of the coast.

One of the problems is that unless you hug the coast real close (as in inlets and rivers and the passages up along the Canadian coast) you are pretty much out there for anyone to see you.

Yes it can be hard to find a boat on the open ocean (tell me about it - that was our biggest challenge in SAR, even when we had the exact position), but at the same time there is really no place to hide when on open water, and any aircraft can pretty much run you down once they see you - boats, even the fastest ones, are very slow compared to aircraft.

Beyond that, you are pretty much open to attack by larger and/or faster craft. A pretty large craft may be slower, but it can sometimes send something like a RHIB after you - and most any boat you are going to live on, and even many smaller boats, are not going to outrun a RHIB with powerful engines. Also, if you are hugging the coastline, then you are open to attack from the land.

Then there are all the maintenance issues, and problems dealing with weather, and costs.

Like anything else, a boat has pluses and minuses, but I would only consider one if I was in the areas I mentioned above, and I am getting too old to be up there.

all the above is true

except,

the guys in little fast boats are limited by fuel and vision, you can only see so far that close to the waters surface. 8-10 miles iirc.

why would a ship equipped with RIB's want to bother with my little bitty pleasure boat? they obviously have more supplies than me.

I can make smoke and fake blood pretty easy to lure them in and suprise them if need be.
But I'm not that sort of guy.

you could spend a decade exploring the sound and probably not cover all the little spots that would be perfect hiding spots.
better than that, why hide? full timer boat folks are pretty cool,stick together and help one another out, moreso than any other roughly affiliated group I've yet to encounter. A group of boats would be better suited for defence and watchkeeping duties.

And yes, it really is more of a bug out location, but moveable. IMHO that makes it better than being tied to one spot and it's available resources. no flat tires, blocked roads, roadblocks, vehicle accidents (fewer anyway).

(always keep a box of tampons for plugging bullet holes)

Last Edited:

Exactly.
If S does HTF,coop,then the happy boater buddies will not be the same friendly guys you see at the marina.
They will be as salty and angry as everyone else.
And the guys with the big boats will need your supplies to keep that big boat running.That will be you saving grace to them not shooting your boat out of the water
The best boat to have would be a smaller aluminum to run up and down the coast to get supplies and to beach it without destroying it

Salty and angry are pretty much in my wheelhouse right now, and the s hasn't hit the fan yet.

I wish those fellas the best of luck, maybe I'll put up a "free candy" sign.

There was a guy that converted a Barge into a home, there are island in the Columbia, lots of them and even if you were safe there the winter would drive you off them. On the other hand you could moor at Arlington and be pretty safe, have power/water maybe even police protection...

64e4f71cd83beae4bfbb8379a49ba1bd.jpg

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR