JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking about "the best BOV" thinking this would be good to get somewhere tuff then camp out. Say the grid goes down, marshal law has been declared, riots are happening. You can load up more than enough food ,ammo and guns in there to last you maybe two months. What are your thoughts???

Turbo diesel Scout. Larger then a jeep, you can haul all your gear in secure weather tight covered space. Diesel engine gets about 25 MPG off road and couple that with a 33 gallon tank and you have a 726 mile range. Add a few NATO style Jerry cans and you make it 1000 plus. Engine will run bio with little upgrades. Will also run waste oil or veggie oil with no problems. All mechanical controlled.

There are a lot of good points to that. One bad thing that strikes me is being able to get around on narrow forest logging roads. And turn around could be real tough. I like a regular 4x4 pickup. Still haul a lot of stuff but a lot more nimble.

I like the turbo diesel scout idea, but I personally lean toward an older 4runner with a 4cyl engine and some welded on racks for fuel, equipment, etc.
Pros - Easy to work on, parts are abundant, and they are reasonably nimble offroad.
Cons - Not fast, limited storage, mileage leaves something to be desired.

In 1970 I had a new IH PU, it was the worst vehicle I ever owned. If I had the clutch depressed and drove over a bump the clutch linkage would self destruct, that happened 4 times in one year

Even though I own a Jeep Rubicon for a pure SURVIVAL bug out rig I'd have to say virtually any Toyota 4x4 pickup from 1979 through 1989.

Run for ever and day on little more than gas and oil with very few electronics.
Easy on gas and light enough to self recover with a shovel and come-along if you do get stuck.

Dont know about other people but I roll Ford E350 1 ton extended cab, I believe this has enough room for my whole family members, some food and my toys. 445 miles per tank. More than what I need :) will leave before anything hit the fan
20150329_095307.jpg

If I had to run I would use the 2500 dodge diesel 44 with the extra 100 gallon tank in the back. Gives me 137 gallons to make a getaway and no telling how far away safety would be nor how long the motor will have to run to get there. Plus the hand pump can be wrenched out of the tank and used to pump other tanks out.

That truck would get you out of dodge but you better have a smaller vehicle in the back if you plan on going very far off road.At least if you are going far enough to get away from folks.
If you are taking your entire neighborhood it would work,but for a family I don't see it as being very practical.
Now if youze gots lots of cash and a huge ranch someplace and a trailer with enough fuel to get there on big solid wide roads,well then you have something.
You can here the Dodge trucks with the cummins and big pipe for a long way off.These have a larger cummins and the big pipes.Everyone will here you for counties away.
Only problem I have seen with a diesel truck is the noise.

That truck would get you out of dodge but you better have a smaller vehicle in the back if you plan on going very far off road.At least if you are going far enough to get away from folks.
If you are taking your entire neighborhood it would work,but for a family I don't see it as being very practical.
Now if youze gots lots of cash and a huge ranch someplace and a trailer with enough fuel to get there on big solid wide roads,well then you have something.
You can here the Dodge trucks with the cummins and big pipe for a long way off.These have a larger cummins and the big pipes.Everyone will here you for counties away.

We will live or die by our choices, I know the truck will go anywhere I would drive it. Not being a young man I would do things differently. I bug out I doubt I would go hide in the woods, anywhere you go you will have to come back from. I see no future running into the woods even though I have spent a great deal of time in them.

We will live or die by our choices, I know the truck will go anywhere I would drive it. Not being a young man I would do things differently. I bug out I doubt I would go hide in the woods, anywhere you go you will have to come back from. I see no future running into the woods even though I have spent a great deal of time in them.
I was speaking of the deuce and a half.. The only problem with the Dodge diesel besides the noise,is IF one does use it for back country,the stiff suspension will surely destroy the rest of the truck at an faster rate than lighter trucks.
That was the one thing I worried about with my Dodge.Sure it was a beast and with 200k+ still had 50lbs oil pressure,but the suspension always made me worry something was going to fall apart
We talked about it when Dodge first came out with the Cummins.Said the engine will be sitting on the frame with nothing else around it.

The newer diesels don't make much engine noise, and you generally only hear it when you can already see it. If you leave the exhaust system alone you don't have much more exhaust noise than a gas truck with the same amount of power.

For most stock vehicles, you will hear tire/road noise before you hear any exhaust noise, at a distance anyway.

I bought a 99 4runner with 90k recently and am feeling pretty good about its abilities. Came with nice off road tires and is pretty well ready to go through most roads paved or otherwise.
Was tired of wondering if my pickup was enough if SHTF...plus I always have liked the 4runners.

I also got a tent that folds open on the roof rack. Just a ladder to get up there but gets you off the ground in survival mode....or for me just in fun dad family mode...either way.

I bought a 99 4runner with 90k recently and am feeling pretty good about its abilities. Came with nice off road tires and is pretty well ready to go through most roads paved or otherwise.
Was tired of wondering if my pickup was enough if SHTF...plus I always have liked the 4runners.

I like four runners, own an 08 but won't use it for a bug out rig because I can't safely carry enough fuel should I want to bug out. It's a great rig and trust it to no end but in a SHTF I want fuel to move with. What ever the SHTF when you run out of fuel you are on foot and will end up staying there until your supplies run out. I want to have fuel enough to get as far away as I need too.

That super volcano goes off and you need to get out of here most rigs will go 400 miles on a full tank. Might not be enough to get far enough away.o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top