JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like four runners, own an 08 but won't use it for a bug out rig because I can't safely carry enough fuel should I want to bug out. It's a great rig and trust it to no end but in a SHTF I want fuel to move with. What ever the SHTF when you run out of fuel you are on foot and will end up staying there until your supplies run out. I want to have fuel enough to get as far away as I need too.

That super volcano goes off and you need to get out of here most rigs will go 400 miles on a full tank. Might not be enough to get far enough away.o_O
Yeah I hear that. I have a 08 camry hybrid that could go a ways. Just between that and my van I had trouble getting to my favorite fishing spots...may not be the best for SHTF but for general purpose it's great. Would get me further out of range than my other 2 vehicles. Plus it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive up the trails in estacada!

My emp- proof bush truck. The gully jumper!

image.jpg

A Horse.....

But If I had to make a serious choice, a Dodge 1989-1997 12 valve Cummins 5 speed. I have a friend who ran his on almost any kind of oil you can think of, used motor oil, trans fluid, veggie oil, etc. Simple, very limited electronics, good old trucks. Or that engine series swapped in anything else, or the 4BT 4 cylinder version. The came in everything from bread trucks to backhoes.

I think Scouts are cool, but the factory diesel option was a Nissan built SD33 that was not known for it's power, reliability, or longevity .

If you aren't hauling animals or your entire house,the 4bt in just about any truck would make a great rig.
Just don't fuel it with used fry oil or the fat guys will hunt you down,lol

truck.jpg My ideal BOV would be a utility truck. It may sound strange but hear me out. A vehicle like this, with a logo on the side and an orange light is virtually invisible during a national emergency. They are almost always turbo diesel and often 4X4. Plenty of LOCKABLE cargo space, plenty of power, big fuel tank, discreet.

But here's my current rig. It's a daily driver. 22re 5 speed. Great gas mileage. Stock suspension. I can fit the whole family and dogs and camping gear in there. It just needs more off road lighting, more armor, and new tires soon

WP_20150518_001.jpg

European vespa.

NO one would suspect you had balls, let alone firearms riding one of those.
Its compact, decent gas mileage, semi zippy and comes in pink.
(Again, to throw off any would be vespa jackers)

As for the Cummins BT engine family - 6BT and 4BT, they are good for hauling and towing and low RPM work. For a daily commuter they more or less suck, especially in light vehicles. They are a low RPM engine. They develop their peak torque at 1600 and peak HP at 2500 RPM - this makes them good for towing/hauling or other work, for getting out and merging with 70+ MPH traffic, not so much.

I own a '97 one ton Dodge 4x4 with a flat bed. Good work truck, not a good commuter (even if I could fit it in the parking garage at work, which I can't). I would not put a Cummins BT in my Toyota Hilux 4x4, I would (and probably will) put an MB OM617 5 cylinder diesel in it (it is from an MB 300D car), which makes its peak power at 4000 RPM, well above the redline of the Cummins. It is an automotive diesel for cars, not trucks.

My Toyota weighs under 3500 pounds, my Dodge over twice that. Two different trucks for two different purposes.

I don't agree... Assuming the SHTF service trucks are also loaded with goodies, like extra fuel, fluids and tools. Many have high end radios as well. It'd be like driving a rolling target.

That's another good point, but at the same time if the situation were that bad I feel like any vehicle that didn't look totally trashed would get a close look from anyone passing by. Especially most of the vehicles that are being mentioned in this thread that would be more capable than most "normal" cars out there.

But I see you point, and it's a good one.

Dirt bikes
I think most of you are dreaming. All roads/bridges will be a mess with litter /broke down outta gas cars /P/U's . Especially around metro areas. You all would be lucky to get out of town ~~ unless you were already out of town ~~ you'd be up s--t creek like everybody else. Even rural area roads would be controlled @ bridges . The other thing is how/when do you need to leave ~~now/tomorrow/next week?? No body knows the time to leave ~~too soon and you'll have to come back to town when yo run out of supplies.
If you managed to get out remember that there will be NO communications about what's happening where. If the government has caused the problem you can bet the first thing to go will be communications ~it's the only way to control people in different areas/suburbs and etc

I think most of you are dreaming. All roads/bridges will be a mess with litter /broke down outta gas cars /P/U's . Especially around metro areas. You all would be lucky to get out of town ~~ unless you were already out of town ~~ you'd be up s--t creek like everybody else. Even rural area roads would be controlled @ bridges . The other thing is how/when do you need to leave ~~now/tomorrow/next week?? No body knows the time to leave ~~too soon and you'll have to come back to town when yo run out of supplies.
If you managed to get out remember that there will be NO communications about what's happening where. If the government has caused the problem you can bet the first thing to go will be communications ~it's the only way to control people in different areas/suburbs and etc
Exactly.

been giving this more thought as of late, considering a 34-38 foot boat. Enough room for a bunch of stuff, water, couple of hundred gallons of fuel. Just cruise a few hours and find a secluded spot, drop anchor and see how things sort out before making any other moves. With care a couple of months on the boat should be doable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top