JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's the plan when I shoot out the barrel in the Tikka. I'll probably never buy one of the kimbers for a number of reasons, but they are so light that they tempt me.

Avoid the temptation and save yourself the frustration. I've heard a lot of good things about the Tikka rifles. What I've heard and know about the Kimbers is that they are pretty....

I'd probably stick with the three rifles I shoot the most!
Marlin 25. Ive had this one since 1980. It is a squirrel shooting machine!
Id also need a .22 centerfire. It would be hard to decide between 22 Hornet and 223. But 223 would probably get the nod because it would be easier to find ammo if I ran out.
And my 6.5x55 mauser. since I had shoulder surgery 10 years back This has become my deer rifle. It shoots flat and doesn't hurt my shoulder.

Two others that Id have a hard time giving up are My 30-30 Win. I got it the first year they came out with Angle eject. And my Marlin in 45 Colt. I like it because I can load it down with 160 Gr bullets till it recoils like a 22 Mag. or with 325 grain bullets up to the lower end 45-70 loads [ Trapdoor Loads]. DR

22LR for squirrels to rabbits and coons
25-06 for everything from coyotes to moose (i'll start making some popcorn now.... :p )

Since that eliminates the need for a 3rd rifle it saves room for a 12ga for bird hunting.

Coincidentally, I have 3 hunting rifles. A savage 10, 110, 111. I have a 6.5CM for blacktail, 7mm Rem Mag for the eastern portion of the state in general and a .375 Ruger as a bear gun. I have yet to shoot a bear.

Oh and 5 year old thread, btw

5 years ago, I listed what I thought would cover the gamut of game one could possibly encounter.
I'd like to create a second list, this time holding it ONLY to guns I currently have in my possession...

A) Mossberg 142-A .22 S/L/LR for small game.
B) Winchester 94 .30-30 for medium game.

...and this is where it gets tough...

C-1) 98 Mauser 8x57
C-2) Remington 725 .270

C1 was Dad's elk gun. The 8mm used to be known as "The German '06" for a reason.
C2 has a 3-9X scope for longer shots.

Can't make up my mind, so I'm doing it as a 3 gun, with a sub-set. :s0121:

Last Edited:
Ruger 77 in .338 win mag.
Remington 700 SPS .270 short mag, stainless now in a laminated stock
Remington 722 in .257 Roberts

and mix in the Savage 99f in .308, the mini 14 .223, and any of a half dozen .22lr. and we have the bases covered!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top