JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love it when a newer member digs up these older threads. :D

Maybe I've sold something since I posted. I should go back and look.

edit: I got the '06 back. It's now a 30-06 Ackley Improved 40 and I love it.
The 300 Win Mag is for sale.

I guess I'll add the 12 gauge pump to the mix.

Last Edited:
I would grab my.

Winchester mod 70 in 30/06 good for yotes to moose
Remington 870 magnum 12 ga. Any and all birds.
CZ 452 American in .22 lr. Small game. Try packing 500 rounds of 12 ga.

Or the Remington 6mm
AR 15
And the single six .22/.22 mag or 10/22

Or 30/30
An Ar15
And the Buckmark or Mk1 or Remington Sportmaster, all .22lr.

Most likely option one if forced to pick.

Terrible thing when you have too many "favorites" to pick among them, huh?

I take it this for when SHTF? or just in general? Either way I have all 3 in my safe.
Ruger 10/22 with 10k rounds
Tikka 223
Tikka 30/06

When I posted the thread, I didn't envision a SHTF situation. Just three rifles for your hunting needs. For me, I do some small game hunting/critter dispatch, coyote hunting, deer hunting, and I hunt elk every few years. So I would tailor my rifles to suit those things.

When I posted the thread, I didn't envision a SHTF situation. Just three rifles for your hunting needs. For me, I do some small game hunting/critter dispatch, coyote hunting, deer hunting, and I hunt elk every few years. So I would tailor my rifles to suit those things.
Yup. I think I'm pretty much covered with my choices.

Have:
.22 Henry Golden Boy
.308 Rem 700 VTR

Want:
pre-64 Winchester model 70 in .375 H&H

Why the .375 H&H? Just because it is a timeless cartridge and very versatile.

I got too much geezeritis to carry out to the hunting field....but my favorite gear is my old cowboy action stuff loaded with the Holy Black & soft lead at closer distances

3 for hunting would be:
.222 or .223 for chuckin', yotes and general varmint stuff. Preferably in a M788Rem. Stupidly accurate, and forgiving when it comes to loads/ammo/bullet weights.
Never should have sold the one I had.

.270 for general big game deer/elk/cat/black bear. I have this in my preferred platform, the Rem M700 with a factory laminated stock. Loaded with 150gr slugs, it kills everything at every range I'm comfortable with.

.338-06 or .35 Whelen for bush/brush west side use. Preferably in a Rem 760/7600 pump rifle platform. When it absolutely, positively needs to die where it stands, this is the rifle/caliber.

Ok, hunting rifles huh?

1. .22K Hornet (Kimber) for pests and small varmints.
2. .223/5.56 (Colt) for bigger varmints, predators and serious social occasions.
3. .30-06 (Custom Mauser) for everything else.

Also, a .22 rimfire for plinking. :)

3 for hunting would be:
.222 or .223 for chuckin', yotes and general varmint stuff. Preferably in a M788Rem. Stupidly accurate

.338-06 or .35 Whelen for bush/brush west side use. Preferably in a Rem 760/7600 pump rifle platform. When it absolutely, positively needs to die where it stands, this is the rifle/caliber.
Yeah, those 788s are becoming cult like. Originally under-rated, now known as a great, no frills rifle.
I pondered doing either a 338-06 or Whelen, but decided to hop up the 06 because of the humongous choices of 30 cal bullets.

Ok, hunting rifles huh?

1. .22K Hornet :)

Yeah... I gotta do one of those someday. I remember finding a 22 Hornet case on the street probably 69-70 and thinking, "That's a really cool case. What's it for?" After asking Dad, I just knew it was the coolest rifle a kid could ever wish for. Good thing I've never grown up and can still find out.:D

I pondered doing either a 338-06 or Whelen, <snip>
About 4 years ago I was ready to make the leap.
But I couldn't decide between the .338 and the .35, and I still am not certain.
I've about decided I should get one of each, and keep the one that's most accurate.
Or maybe keep them both.

Oh hell. See, I STILL don't know!

I guess I'll add the 12 gauge pump to the mix.

Except me, being stupid, didn't realize until days later that this is a rifle thread...
I have an AR and would include it, but it's a pistol.
I used to have some larger bores for things like elephants and water buffalo, that I don't hunt, but they're gone.

Guess I'd have to say a lever action in 30-30, preferably a Winchester 94 in .30 W.C.F.

Yeah... I gotta do one of those someday. I remember finding a 22 Hornet case on the street probably 69-70 and thinking, "That's a really cool case. What's it for?" After asking Dad, I just knew it was the coolest rifle a kid could ever wish for. Good thing I've never grown up and can still find out.:D

.22 Hornet or .22K Hornet? It would be most rare to find a K Hornet on a street! :)

IMG_0624.JPG
.22K Hornet on the right.

Yeah, those 788s are becoming cult like. Originally under-rated, now known as a great, no frills rifle.
The strangest thing about the M788 I had, is I shot any/every kind of ammo I ever found through it, and it all shot decent.
Some of it was better than others, but I can't recall anything it wouldn't shoot at 1.5 MOA or better.
There was no such thing as ammo that gun didn't like.

Being as young and naive as I was, I thought all rifles would be that way.
And since I sold it I've never had another gun that would do that.

.22 Hornet or .22K Hornet? It would be most rare to find a K Hornet on a street! :)

Hornet. I lived in eastern Oregon. It was far from the only case we ever found laying in the street, but I think it's the only Hornet case I've ever found. I probably still have it. Cutest case I've ever seen.
After I had a Hornet for a while, I'm sure a K Hornet would be in the works. Not as "cute", but I love hot-rodding things.

The strangest thing about the M788 I had, is I shot any/every kind of ammo I ever found through it, and it all shot decent.
Some of it was better than others, but I can't recall anything it wouldn't shoot at 1.5 MOA or better.
There was no such thing as ammo that gun didn't like.

Being as young and naive as I was, I thought all rifles would be that way.
And since I sold it I've never had another gun that would do that.

The first 30-06 I had was that way. Like you, I didn't think it was that special. Silly me!

A tough call, if I had to limit it to only three. Each rifle below has a fraternal twin that answers a similar call, albeit differently.

223 Wylde, 18" bbl.
Ruger M77 Hawkeye Stainless All Weather in 7mm-08
338 Edge for the bad boys.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR