JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hornet. I lived in eastern Oregon. It was far from the only case we ever found laying in the street, but I think it's the only Hornet case I've ever found. I probably still have it. Cutest case I've ever seen.
After I had a Hornet for a while, I'm sure a K Hornet would be in the works. Not as "cute", but I love hot-rodding things.

Yep, they are both cute cases! o_O But, the Kilbourn re-shouldered Hornet has a bit more zip than the original.
But the benefits of the shoulder over the original bottleneck cartridge is it stops the horrible brass flow! The original case is good for, perhaps, five reloads before you have to scrap them! Adding the 40* shoulder (and neck sizing) allows for a nearly indefinite case life. If you don't make .223's out of them, that is! As always with this type of thing, YMMV! :D

The strangest thing about the M788 I had, is I shot any/every kind of ammo I ever found through it, and it all shot decent.
Some of it was better than others, but I can't recall anything it wouldn't shoot at 1.5 MOA or better.
There was no such thing as ammo that gun didn't like.

Being as young and naive as I was, I thought all rifles would be that way.
And since I sold it I've never had another gun that would do that.

That is so true! My 788 in .22-250 shot sub gnats azz groups, and with most manufacturers rounds! Sad sad day when I stupidly traded it!!! :(

That is so true! My 788 in .22-250 shot sub gnats azz groups, and with most manufacturers rounds! Sad sad day when I stupidly traded it!!! :(
Yup.
The part that pizzes me off is what I got for it on the trade-in.
But hey, it was only a $97.00 gun to begin with.
The MSRP on it was $89.95 from the factory!

Yep, they are both cute cases! o_O But, the Kilbourn re-shouldered Hornet has a bit more zip than the original.
But the benefits of the shoulder over the original bottleneck cartridge is it stops the horrible brass flow! The original case is good for, perhaps, five reloads before you have to scrap them! Adding the 40* shoulder (and neck sizing) allows for a nearly indefinite case life. :D

This is part of the "reasoning" of doing the Ackley Improved treatment to my 30-06. A K-Hornet would be a nice stablemate.

Every forum has to have the "What 3 rifles would you pick for your hunting rifle battery" thread. I'm not sure why its always 3, but for tradition and the sake of brevity, we'll stick to 3.
What 3 rifles do you or would you have to do all of your favorite hunting?
I'd do a .223, a .30-06 and a .460 Weatherby.
I'm thinking either the OP's Tikka or maybe a CZ-527 Varmint for the small caliber rifle.
If I could find one, a Stevens 200 for the '06. If not, any of the standard Stevens/Savage hunting rifles (110, 114, etc.), in stainless, would work also.
Of course, a Mk. V would be my only choice to fire the big Weatherby round.
That should about cover anything anyone could think to hunt.
The .223 for game up to very small deer.
The '06 would be my general hunting rifle and the one that would probably get used the most.
After that, we're talking about very large, very dangerous game. Lions, Elephants, Sasquatch, Killer Clowns, really anything that might fall outside the realm of "typical game animals". Also, the big Weatherby meets "international standards" by shooting a bullet at least 3/8" in diameter.
If you need more than that, you're probably looking at .50 BMG or one of the larger Express rounds.
...btw, while I realize we're only supposed to be held to 3 guns, if I could take a second to comment on smaller, lighter rounds, an interesting challenge might be insect hunting with an air rifle.
No honey bees, please, but house fly's aren't just in the house. Dragonfly's, moth's with their insane flight patterns, this kind of thing.
I can't think of a better suited arm for this challenge than a run-of-the-mill air rifle.
...might be kind of fun and you could hunt them all year around.

Dean

.22 WMR, .308, 50 BMG all in bolt action firearms. There is nothing with lungs that can't fall into these three categories.

Mic drop!

Man this is a hard one. Okay
1: My shiny new (to me) Ruger 77/22lr for grouse, rabbits, small game.
2: My Tikka M695 .280 Rem for deer/black bear.
3: My Winchester 70 .338 Win mag for elk and anything that can eat me.

My alternates.
1: CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 for deer in the brush.
2: my Bergara B14 .308 for deer/bears/elk under 300 yards.
3: my Winchester 70 30-06 for literally anything that can be killed in the PNW.

My wish list.
1: A Ruger 77/22 mag.
2: Some kind of Kimber 84 action in .280 Ackley.
3: A nice pre 64 Winchester 70 action rechambered in .35 whelen.
Man, maybe someday.

Man this is a hard one. Okay
1: My shiny new (to me) Ruger 77/22lr for grouse, rabbits, small game.
2: My Tikka M695 .280 Rem for deer/black bear.
3: My Winchester 70 .338 Win mag for elk and anything that can eat me.

My alternates.
1: CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 for deer in the brush.
2: my Bergara B14 .308 for deer/bears/elk under 300 yards.
3: my Winchester 70 30-06 for literally anything that can be killed in the PNW.

My wish list.
1: A Ruger 77/22 mag.
2: Some kind of Kimber 84 action in .280 Ackley.
3: A nice pre 64 Winchester 70 action rechambered in .35 whelen.
Man, maybe someday.

My opinion? Rechamber your Tikka. If you off it for the Kimber I'll bet you'll regret it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top