JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Every forum has to have the "What 3 rifles would you pick for your hunting rifle battery" thread. I'm not sure why its always 3, but for tradition and the sake of brevity, we'll stick to 3. What 3 rifles do you or would you have to do all of your favorite hunting?

I only hunt for rockchucks, coyotes and deer with a rifle, so my needs are fairly simple. But, being a complete rifle nut, I could think of hundreds of combinations!

What I have now:

Tikka T3 Superlite in 223 (this gets more field time than anything I have)

Remington 700 in 7mm Remington Magnum for east side deer hunting

Ruger Hawkeye All-Weather in 30-06 for hunting on the west side

What I would want:

Winchester 1885 Low Wall in 22 Hornet as a general kick around rifle

Winchester M70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts for nicer weather deer hunting

Winchester M70 Featherweight Stainless in 270 Winchester, bedded in a McMillan Edge, for when its nasty out

My .54 Hawken Rifle Copy , for everything from small game to big game.
Its the rifle I shoot the most and the one I have the most confidence in .

My as issued Remington 03A3 in . 30/06 of course.
It shoots just fine and carries well.
Nice to have if I want to go "modern". :D

Small game / fun rifle : My new to me Rossi 62SA in .22LR
Shoots good with any .22 ammo I've tried and is murder on cans and spent shotgun shells out to 50 yards.

For more modern rifles I think its tough to beat :
Something in the .270 / .308 / .30/06 / .7mm mag
A rifle in .30 /30 . .35 Remington or a .556
and a .22 or .17 if you prefer...

These are always fun threads and I learn a bit about new to me cartridges.
That said , I am very glad we are not really limited to three choices!
Andy

.22LR in a nice bolt action, mine is a Browning A-Bolt - rabbits on down

6.5x55 in a Tikka T3 for everything else up to and including moose. Yes, it's that versatile and also is a good and very accurate long range cartridge.

338 WM if you are heading to Alaska because the bear needs to be dead before he can kill you back, otherwise all you need are the two above.

Last Edited:
.22LR in a nice bolt action, mine is a Browning A-Bolt - rabbits on down

6.5x55 in a Tikka T3 for everything else up to and including moose. Yes, it's that versatile and also is a good and very accurate long range cartridge.

338 WM if you are heading to Alaska because the bear needs to be dead before he can kill you back, otherwise all you need are the two above.
Well I just dropped a young elk on a degradation tag this morning with my 6.5 creedmore. So I'm in on the 6.5 koolaid
Gotta have a 22lr in there then whatever big caliber you may thing is best. I picked the 7mm mag but 300 wm is great or bigger mags I guess.

.22lr Henery Lever (have)

.308win Ruger Gunsight Scout (sold - but will buy again)

30-06 anything (unless I find a better deal for hunting elk). But I'm up for suggestions when the time comes.

The 3 rifles I always take hunting:
A Ruger 10/22 for grouse, and fun.
An AR15 in 6.8spc for things bigger than grouse, but smaller than elk, and closer than 300yds.
A Thompson Center Icon PH in .308, set up for long shots.

If the .22 wasn't considered, then I would probably toss in my marlin model 444, for brush and just 'cause.

My model 70 stainless .30-06 for elk.
My model 70 stainless .30-06 for deer/bear
My model 70 stainless .30-06 for coyotes/cats:D

Dang it, you took my idea!! Now I'll have to do something different:
:D
Pre 64 model 70 270 featherweight in Mcmillan hunters compact stock. Small game hunting:
IMG_0676_zpsfxogyhav.jpg

Pre 64 model 70 338 win magnum built on 1954 H&H receiver, 5 round capacity, 7 3/4 pounds all up, brown precision poundR stock, stainless gretan barrel, midnight blue cerakote. Elk rifle:
DSC00151_zpsbuzsmgck.jpg

1956 Winchester model 70 375 H&H in swirly Mcmillan pre 64 montecarlo pattern. For animals that bite back:
DSC00162_zpsuqkriucs.jpg

Those or just the old sporterized customized m1917 30-06:
IMG_0929_zpssv7o05ot.jpg ;)

3 rifles... imagine having to pick just one! For me 3 rifles is easy. 1, 375 Ruger to hunt the world from moose, big bears to Africa. 2, 7mm WSM for most big game near and far. 3, 243 WIN for deer, elk, bear and small critters with correct bullet selection/shot placement. Also the 243 would make for a great survival rifle for meat and general shooting practice. On a Muskox/Caribou NW Territories hunt, many of the Inuit guides used only a 243 for everything, including grizzly and walrus!

Marlin 81DL .22 rifle
Ruger 77MKII 30-06, which is really the only gun I hunt with. Use it for Appleseeds, too.
Ruger 77MKII 300 Win Mag. Only got hunted with because my gunsmith has had a terrible year and still has my 30-06. :cool:
Marlin.jpg RUGER.jpg P1010175.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads