JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This always confuses me. I get putting .38 in a .357 but why buy a gun in ONLY 38 when the same gun comes in .357?

Even if you do not like .357 all that much does it not make more sense to get the one that can handle a larger variety of ammo? I load .38 in the LCR .357 when the wife takes it. Why would I want to have one I cannot put .357 in when I carry it? This has always bugged me. If there really is a point to it then please educate this ignorant old man.

I agree with you. About the only difference I can see to make one buy a 38 is that since it is not capable of taking a larger charge it is generally not built as beefy, thusly less weight and bulk. I do not think you would be saving enough to not buy the larger gun.

OCD and only like even numbers?

That is all I have come up with. The .357 is barely more weight and the guns barely bulkier if at all. I see a lot of .38s in the cases right next to their .357 big brother and wonder who says "ya know I will go with the .38. I know they cost the same and the .357 is a more powerful caliber but I just want the limited ammo edition"

In the models I want the .357 is always considerably more.

In the light weight J frames you can get into a .38 for around $400, the .357 is going to be $700-ish

The old world view is that you will flame cut the cylinder walls with the shorter cartridge when .38's are extensively used and the longer Magnum rounds will have extraction issues.
I just use a slightly larger bronze brush and a cordless drill to clean any residue.

I guess that makes sense. I look at the tags on LCR SP101 and the like. Price is rarely all that much more for the .38.
I suppose in a higher end gun I get it being more but still do not get not paying more for in my opinion a far superior caliber and weapon. I will always go with the .357. If it costs more than a .38 I will save a little longer. Then I will shoot the hell out of it with .38s at the range and load up with .357 for carry. I guess maybe I will never understand it fully.

I watched a guy today trying to decide between the LCR in .38 and .357. Price was pretty close and he went with the .38. Just really confused me that anyone would go that route without a big price difference...Or at all.

The old world view is that you will flame cut the cylinder walls with the shorter cartridge when .38's are extensively used and the longer Magnum rounds will have extraction issues.
I just use a slightly larger bronze brush and a cordless drill to clean any residue.

Alright so new question. Said brush is what size and where did you get it? I like the idea of the drill to clean my cylinders.

You can pretty much rest assured that your new 11oz .38 won't shoot loose as fast as one in .357 magnum. lol. Unless you only shoot .38's in that magnum but why on earth would you (many do) do that? lol
If you wanted to, you can load those .38's we're talking about to magnum pressures but just make sure you don't use them in a 100 year old gun.. to put it mildly.

I'm on the .357 only side.

I sometimes shoot .38's in it but mostly .357.

The price differences at different price points was an interesting read, I did not know that.

Some is price depending on the gun and some is that the person will never even attempt to shoot that brutal 357,so why buy it
You tell an older lady the 357 is a beefier built gun and she will look at you like you have no head.
Who cares stare
Mostly people that just don't know the difference in any guns

How much is 38 ammo and how much is 357? If you want to hit your target then you practice so what is it going to cost to be good with a 38 compared to a 357? So what is that magnum muzzle blast in decibel in a short barrel, and what will the muzzle blast be like in a building? Most defensive use of the guns are in low light so how about the muzzle flash of a 357, will you loose your night vision in the fight?

Magnums are basically an overload with lots of pressure that wears out guns faster. Timing will go first then probably the barrel throat of a small frame gun. On the positive side that energy does make for a more efficient round.

So if you are planning to practices with mostly .38 and some .357 to know how it handles them you are not really doing any harm to your gun. Yet you have a more powerful gun. If you shoot nothing but .357 out of it...Who does that?!? You may wear it out faster.

OK so the answer to my question is that a bunch of guys that know a lot more about guns than me cannot give me an answer that would make me think about EVER buying a .38 over a .357.

I was given a S&W 360PD Titanium/Scandium ultra light revolver. It weighs just slightly over 11 oz.
It's a .357 Magnum, but it really hurts to shoot full power loads, so I only shoot .38 spl. + P defensive ammo in it and even then it's a handful.
The trade off is the low weight vs. comfort when firing. You hardly know it's in your pocket it's so light.

As far as the bronze brush size, I don't know what caliber it is, it's just slightly bigger then .38 cal.
I was at an estate sale and they had packed all of the old guys firearm cleaning equipment thrown into large zip lock baggies.
There must have been over 50 new/used bronze brushes (some in the original package), dozens of cleaning rods and all different sizes of cloth patches that will last me for the next ten years.
All for around $2.00 per bag.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top