JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And the thing about the LCR's compared to the lightweight Smith is that the LCR kicks about half as hard.. for whatever reason. That said, I like the bitty boot grips on the Smith.

And for cleaning chambers on a heavily carboned wheelgun, get a stainless steel chamber brush.. dunked in Hoppes, one pass (in and then out) will do it perfectly every time.

I find it funny that many people will buy a 9 of whatever size that's specifically only rated for "standard pressure rounds". And if by any chance they have one that's rated for whatever you can stick in it, they're all like "unnecessary!" .. "undue wear!" and all.. even for the rare elephant seeing time.
sheesh

Well, it seems I am in the minority again here. I have only one 357 and four 38 specials. I mostly shoot the 38 specials in the 38's because they are much more accurate than when fired in the 357. Of course most of the comments on here are about small carry guns, none of which I have. I have two 4 inch 38's a 6 inch and an 8 3/8 inch. The 357 is a 5 1/2 inch.

This to me is like saying why buy a 308 when you can get a 30-06? Each cartridge has it's own place.

Well, it seems I am in the minority again here. I have only one 357 and four 38 specials. I mostly shoot the 38 specials in the 38's because they are much more accurate than when fired in the 357. Of course most of the comments on here are about small carry guns, none of which I have. I have two 4 inch 38's a 6 inch and an 8 3/8 inch. The 357 is a 5 1/2 inch.

This to me is like saying why buy a 308 when you can get a 30-06? Each cartridge has it's own place.
That hasn't been my experience.. I used to shoot PPC with a Python and 5/686's.. and heavily modded model 10 K's.. they were all sublime with the wadcutters.

Because an old 1950s pre-model 10 is a handsome, dependable gun to have around the house. This thread reminds me I should take it out shooting more often!
I like the historical aspect. Mine was probably a Cop's gun but no extra markings to ID it as one.

upload_2015-7-22_20-38-43.png

I shot a box of mediocre 357 Mag handloads in my Taurus 605 and even with the 'lite' 357s the recoil was sharp. Now my daughter owns it and only shoots .38s out of it. Heck even my new GP only gets lite .357s. Just no need to go 'full house' .357 for just fun shooting and clay breaking!

I bought a whole bunch of reloads from an estate sale and in one of the army ammo boxes was over 200 .357 Magnum reloads with a label declaring they were "Hot! "
They are the hottest .357 loads I've ever shot and I will only use my Ruger Security Six because I know it will handle them, but just for fun, I will mix a few in with some .38 spl's and then hand it over to my friend.
He'll load up the gun and then hand it back to me, so I can be surprised when a hot one shows up.

Last Edited:
Hey when I go out shooting its usually coupled with other all day outdoor activities and may involve several hundred rounds - the 38s and lite 357s are all day 'shooters' - no need to punish myself with full house .357s for no real reason

I shot a box of mediocre 357 Mag handloads in my Taurus 605 and even with the 'lite' 357s the recoil was sharp. Now my daughter owns it and only shoots .38s out of it. Heck even my new GP only gets lite .357s. Just no need to go 'full house' .357 for just fun shooting and clay breaking!

I bought my wife a 605 - with her build, and near complete lack of enthusiasm for shooting, it's loaded with 38 only.

For her it's the simplicity of a revolver. Me, it's a two caliber gun...

Whenever I have the burning desire to catch fastballs bare handed, but can't find a baseball, I shoot full house 357 outta it

This is not the first time you have mentioned high pressure rounds that you might load. You are a dangerous man. Remind me to NOT get off your lawn since there is a chance the gun pointed at me might blow up in your hand.

A lot of us old school guys thought if it wasn't hot it was just another .38! Also we mostly shot 6" revolvers! I'm talking hunters, general outdoors shooting, not LEO's!

A lot of us old school guys thought if it wasn't hot it was just another .38! Also we mostly shot 6" revolvers! I'm talking hunters, general outdoors shooting, not LEO's!

Probably the wrong thread to discuss my nuclear 10mm loads, or my 'bit on the warm side' 9mm recipes ;)

It is a 38 vs 357 platform discussion after all :D

Chrono a 38 special and a 357 magnum out of a 2 inch barrel See if the difference is worth to you the added expense added kick added flash and added noise.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top