JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just the last two previous posts after three pages mention why I would never buy a 357 in a snubby. You're spending a lot more, smacking the crap out of your hand, blinding yourself if in low/no light and damaging your hearing for hardly anymore energy over 38 +p. The extra cost for the snubby chambered for 357 is not worth it. I would never want a barrel any less than 3" for a 357 and would far prefer a minimum of 4".

Now, if I was presented with a decision between a model 10 and a 66, then yes, the little higher cost for the 357 is well worth it.

I first got out of the USAF in 1971 and got a job with a private security patrol (armed) company in Oakland, CA. Since I was former Security Police, I bought the same revolver I carried in USAF - S&W Mdl 15 Combat Masterpiece in 38 cal. Familiar with its workings, was pretty competent with it. Carried the Mdl 15 a little bit later with Sou Pacific RR Police. When I got my first law enforcement job in 73, traded the Mdl 15 in for a Mdl 19 357.

I first got out of the USAF in 1971 and got a job with a private security patrol (armed) company in Oakland, CA. Since I was former Security Police, I bought the same revolver I carried in USAF - S&W Mdl 15 Combat Masterpiece in 38 cal. Familiar with its workings, was pretty competent with it. Carried the Mdl 15 a little bit later with Sou Pacific RR Police. When I got my first law enforcement job in 73, traded the Mdl 15 in for a Mdl 19 357.
Did you carry .38 Treasury loads or magnums in that 19?

Why not?

Assuming it's not a stub revolver and you aren't looking to beat the hell out of your hands

.357 will have higher resale/trade value
.357 will have stronger cylinder
.357 has more load variances
.357 hits harder

but if you don't want those things then get a .38

a 38 will be a little smaller/lighter and aids a little better on compact models for sitting in a pocket.

Is there anyone on this forum who will admit to shooting a Chiappa Rhino? It is, the last I checked, chambered only for .357, but the design makes the force vectors considerably different from other revolvers.

Why not?

Assuming it's not a stub revolver and you aren't looking to beat the hell out of your hands

.357 will have higher resale/trade value
.357 will have stronger cylinder
.357 has more load variances
.357 hits harder

but if you don't want those things then get a .38

a 38 will be a little smaller/lighter and aids a little better on compact models for sitting in a pocket.
1: Most people don't buy a gun to sell, they buy a gun to use. Moot.
2: Wrong. The preface of this thread is that they are the same exact gun save for the magnum having chambers that are 1/10" longer.. hence the question.
3: Variances? I thought a .357 cartridge was a .357 cartridge.
4: A .38 will mess you up. lol

Why doesn't everyone buy the .357 Maximum? same thing but more lol

upload_2015-8-3_19-54-53.png

Just knowed you'd laff.:(

tac

The more relevant question would be..."why would anybody want to shoot 357 Magnum loads out of an airweight snub nose revolver?"

I own two Ruger LCR's and they are both chambered in .38 Special. My reasons for going with the .38 versus 357 are (a) slightly smaller (b) slightly lighter and (c) slightly cheaper. The $25 price difference is better spent on extra ammo or a quality holster. 38+P is a perfectly viable choice for self defense, especially out of a compact carry gun, and with a 2" or shorter barrel there isn't much ballistic advantage to a 357 anyway. All you are doing by shooting Magnum rounds out of an airweight is generating more muzzle blast and flash, and making it harder for yourself to control the gun for accurate followup shots.

If I want to shoot 357 Magnums I will shoot them out of my full sized S&W M 66 steel framed revolver, which is the type of gun that the round was meant for in the first place.

Because I like shooting 38 special. There is something to be said for shooting a nice older gun with a gentle load. Kind of like sipping a nice scotch I see no neef to damage my older smiths and colts to receive more recoil Also why I like the 44 special

Chrono a 38 special and a 357 magnum out of a 2 inch barrel See if the difference is worth to you the added expense added kick added flash and added noise.
+10000

It all boils down to probabilities.

Assuming an identical hit on an identical assailant with identical bullets....what is the probability that the outcome of the gunfight will be determined by the extra 100-200 fps you might get out of a Magnum load in your airweight snubnose revolver versus a .38+P load?

Now... compare this probability to whether the outcome of the gunfight might be determined by your ability to make multiple center-of-mass hits on your assailant with a .38+P load versus being blinded and deafened by the muzzle blast and recoil of a single Magnum round out of the same gun?

I will check my ego at the door and use ammunition that is optimal for whatever type of gun I am carrying. If that gun is an airweight 2" revolver then I will load it with proven .38+P rounds and leave the Magnums for the he-men to show off with.

The thread was never about .357 being better. Simply that you can shoot a .38 out of a .357 so why go with the .38.

I see no valid points for that as of yet aside from "liking older guns" and "recoil". The question asked was IF the model you buy has a comparable .357 version why go with .38.
Everyone here understands .38 being an easier round to shoot and in my .357s I do use .38 mostly for target shooting and even carry but if there was an ammo shortage and .38 was gone I could still shoot .357 to defend my family. What will your .38s do that one ups that?

Dont buy a 38 that's your business I have both and enjoy both for different reasons.

Wait I can buy which I want??!! Well no wonder nothing but a couple old revolvers of mine are .357. Plus you changed my name. Only Noflinch is allowed to do that to me!

I will almost always choose to load with .38 but my revolvers will be chambered in .357 so long as I have the option. Guns like an air weight or LCR are deadly to your hands with .357 but you do have the option to load it up and feel that awesome painful kick. I will load it with .38 but I know that with all the .357 I have my LCRs are not worthless without .38 around the house....Though I really hope I hit a bad guy the first shot. Little too powerful for a quick follow up.

I would like to see how the ballistics are "almost the same" as some say out of a snub nose. Shooting a .357 and then a .38 makes the .38 feel like nothing out of those little guns.

How can it feel so much more powerful and be barely more of a powerful round? I just do not see the logic there. Even if it is only 100fps more it is a bigger round. More energy. MORE POWER!

I like many revolvers that are made before the 357 came along. I give the 357 its due but to me a 38 will not make me feel any less under gunned than a 357 does. To me a good revolver even in 38 is comforting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top