JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
winchester still make a similar bullet to the black talon ....
Winchester voluntarily pulled the ammunition from the market completely in 2000. The “Ranger SXT” ammunition sold today by Winchester is very similar to the Black Talon without the black Lubalox coating on the bullet. Among shooters, the running joke is that SXT stands for “Same eXact Thing”. The correct phrase is “Supreme Expansion Technology”. However, there are significant differences in the anatomy of the bullets which becomes apparent when carefully examined side by side. The internal structure of the Black Talon’s hollow point is unique in that its petals are more massive at their tips, after expansion, than comparable bullets. This added mass provides superior expansion compared to most other hollow points including the “Ranger SXT”. This difference is obvious after firing into ballistic gelatin.[13] Winchester has since discontinued manufacture of "Ranger SXT" rounds. Don

Does anyone know what is it look like? I google image for teflon ammo or teflon bullet and I see no picture of it. If some one happen to have a picture of it please post it here. I just want to see what it's look like that is all :)

I don't know of any manufactures that produced a teflon coated bullet. I am pretty sure it is mostly media hype. anyone can teflon coat a bullet.

As far as the 5-7 rounds, the hollow points tend to penetrate level 2 soft body armor. The LE only rounds would penetrate level 3 armor with out plates. It is a neat round. if you haven't shot one, find someone who will let you try it. Very accurate, Easy shot placement.

I went to Dutch bros coffee shop today and saw the really "cop killers bullets" ha ha ha what a joke.... People seriously think that black talon is teflon bullet, it can penatrate through bullet vest and steel. I am glad that I have learn so much here and and google.

Sorry if this has been addressed already, I am too lazy to read the thread but...

Wat? Since when does teflon have anything to do with armor piercing. Teflon is no-stick. You wouldn't want those eggs to stick to your bullets now would you? :V

Also using "armor piercing" handgun ammo is kinda silly since it still won't penetrate any sort of plates. Considering most people don't wear armor I'll take the better wounding properties of JHP. If you want to pierce armor use a rifle.

On a side note, eliteammunition makes "armor piercing" 5.7x28 reloads. Kinda interesting, I might buy some if I had a PS90. Still won't do anything against plates of course.

Eh, CZ52 ammo will penetrate IIa soft armor. The 5.7 FMJ will supposedly penetrate soft armor. Any center fire rifle round will penetrate soft armor. It's another scare tactic and just another reason to ban something.

Just use a 150gr FJM out of an -06 and you shouldn't have any trouble. If you do put the same bullet in a 300 win mag and have at it. OR maybe DON"T SHOOT AT COPS. Bad guys very very rarely wear bullet proof vests

Not sure about the guys with the Blue Helmets hiding in your scrubbery

just carry a .50 BMG bulleted .500 caliber handgun ;) enough mass to knock a man down and not penetrate too much :p (if fired at point blank range or inches away from muzzle of 20 inches barrel of handgun >.> ) :v

on the other hand, just what are the military "armor piercing" rounds made of?

If teflon coating a bullet would make it armor piercing, why would they spend the time and money to make specific bullets that pierce armor? I bet you the studs at the coffee place were carrying black talons. I had this moron neighbor who kept calling the black talons teflon coated bullets. I showed him a real black talon and a winchester ranger-t and he still called it a teflon coated bullet..... I also tried to explain to him that a jhp could not be armor piercing unless it was traveling very very very very very (lol) fast, but sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

Black talons are not armor piercing bullets, and law enforcement only rangers are the EXACT same bullet with a gray luballoy coating instead of black. They just took the cutting edges, designed to tear veins and arteries, off the non l.e. rangers.

so if i understand the law quoted, illegality of possessed ammunition would be based on intent? How does one prove intent, unless caught in the commission of a crime - in which case the law is strictly intended to be a multiplier to give the prosecuter more leverage? Am i understanding this right?

Closest thing to a teflon bullet i have ever seen i would describe like the old accelerator sabot rounds. (nevermind...i guess that is the link posted by rolandson lol)

I must live in a cave because this confuses me. What is a brand named example of a "teflon bullet"? Are you referring to the old KTW bullets of the 1960's or something that is currently manufactured? Winchester's "Black Talons" that were ceremoniously pulled from dealer shelves in the 90's? Something else that is sold down at BiMart but that may be Oregon illegal based on my frame of mind? It sounds like something I'd see on CNN or ABC if I watched either of them... but then I live in a cave.

Black Talons are still legal. The Manufacturer pulled them for strictly political reasons but still
MAKE THEM without the black coating, and call them "Ranger SXT Law enforcement "
now. Same performance. They actually are stopped better by a vest than a std bullet but are devistating on flesh and cut veins and arteries very well instead of sliding by them. Best designed bullet for a defensive handgun load ever made.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top