JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm eating almost 800 22LR month. That's even conservative-practice indoor shots.
Hopefully this will change when I start shooting outside to a point that every shot counts.

It depends on what you're going for. Starting out, small quantity purchases and a tight budget, you shoot what you can afford to shoot. As long as they make smoke, they have some training value.

If I were in your shoes with a new rifle... I would be buying as wide a variety of different brands and bullet weights as possible in smaller quantities to first discover what it is my rifle actually likes to eat. All things considered... once I can narrow down which brand/s and weight/s are going to give me the most effective training.... then work out how to keep it as affordable as possible. Scanning ammoseek for deals, watching forum classifieds for private party sales, posting "want to buy" ads, etc etc.

Budget and be prepared to "go deep" when an opportunity arises.

Personally.... I only use what I would consider "mid/higher tier" training/target ammo. Over the years, I've just found that the load inconsistencies and accuracy issues with budget ammo aren't worth trying to save a few cents per round. I have a bit of an advantage "in time" though. To keep costs manageable I only purchase in bulk, during price lull cycles, and only on "too good to pass up" deals. When the stars align... I stack em deep and it keeps me shooting affordably through the price hike cycles with a better quality of training ammo. (And... SD ammo reasonable enough that I don't cringe popping off a mag fairly routinely.)

The "given" is that ammo prices always run in somewhat predictable cycles and it pays to play the "long game".
I am totally happy with the a few combinations I have. Especially the Federal 22LR automatch batch that I got from Bi-Mart in Newberg. Its may not be as accurate as the SK in medium-long distance but its close enough and most important it hardly fails since when I made changes and a few modification on the Ruger 10/22. Its flawless in the Taurus TX22. "Very-Good" enough on a 25 yard iron sight shooting. My biggest mistake is I should have bought more than what I have now. The price is considered too but to get a real good batch is a gift!

I haven't been to the gun range in over 6 months but I took my BIL to the gun range yesterday. Since the range doesn't allow steel cased ammunition to fired there I had buy brass cased ammo for my AK.

We shot over 100 rounds NATO rounds in 9mm and 80 rounds through my AK. Going to go at least once a month. Need to buy brass cased ammo for my AK since it costly to buy ammunition from the range. I only use the range ammo for gun rentals only.

I took my 30 caliber ammo box with the lock and left the magazines unloaded and brought some upLula magazine loaders.

Yeah, the weather can save us quite a few ammo dollars in the wintertime. I too am jonesing to get out into the woods.
Now is perfect!
Burn some 22's :s0003:
Yeah Babieh!
1711229786417.png

Didn't read the whole thread, but my views on what "training" is has changed over time. Since the word "training" is used, I'm assuming we're talking about for self-defense situations.
Sorry, but IMO standing at a range just shooting for accuracy isn't training after a certain point. Yes you need to hit the target, but shooting slow paced, nickel sized holes isn't the goal. It's landing effective shots quickly. Can you get off 5 shots in 2 sec into a fist sized area?
Sure, if you're incorporating shooting off hand, single hand, drawing from a holster, etc, that's training. But ultimately, if you're not shooting and moving, doing drills and such, I think you're doing yourself a disservice. Cause you're not going to be standing still if you need to use you're weapon in real life.

And since I'm on my high horse, the DPSST annual shooting qualifications. For both LE and Armed Security, my feeling is you should pass those cold. Pass/Fail. No warm up. none. You won't have any warm up when you're on the streets, why should you have one when you're standing all comfy, dry, with no threats, and just paper in front of you.
Yes, I can be a :s0050:

Wanna ask you guys something. What bore cleaner can I use besides Hoppe's #9. I wanna use something that's a chemical friendlier especially in odor.
Hoppes gives me migraines.
About a month ago, I inspected and cleaned eleven of my rifles. I still had some Ed's Red which I mixed a few years ago (sans acetone).
I started with a 15% ammonia wash, followed with Simple Green / water mix, and then a few patches pushed through of Ed's Red, and then a final wipe with Hinder Rust (which @misterarman put me onto).

Ammonia will pull copper and lead out of your barrel. Some guns, when i first purchase them, produce lots of azure colored patches. You can also use straight distilled vinegar (7%) and your rag might come out greenish. But, whether it's vinegar or ammonia, both are hard on steel, so you need to have all that cleaned off and oiled.

Once a month we have a shoot at our black powder club.
Usually its around 25 shots.
Which doesn't sound like much for a cartridge gun....
However...
With 12 - 20 shooters on the line...it can be "much" or time consuming.
Plus with powder now around $40 a pound when you can find it....and caps , for those who use 'em ...
$15 on up , again when you can find 'em....it can be spendy too.

As for cartridge guns....
I mostly shoot one of my .22LR rifles...and 20 gauge shotguns.
I used to shoot fairly often....nowadays not so much....need to go more often.
As for the amount of cartridges shot...I never really concern myself with that....*
I shoot for my enjoyment...
I find shooting at left over clay bird bits , spent shotgun shells , the odd colored rock , leaf or flower challenging and relaxing.
Andy

* That said...
I have looked at the plies of my spent brass / shot shells , as I was policing them up ....
And thought well there went $______
But it was money and time well spent.... :D
I think my RPR in .22 suppressed is my favorite thing to shoot. Especially if I am out in my truck and I can just lie in the back on a blanket and pick away at things like bits of clay pigeons and shotgun shells. Like you said...relaxing.

Wanna ask you guys something. What bore cleaner can I use besides Hoppe's #9. I wanna use something that's a chemical friendlier especially in odor.
I love the smell of Hoppe's #9 in the morning. Grew up on it. That being said, if you want something eco-friendly and effective, try Ballistol. Works great, and smells like an old wet dog. No chemical odor there. It's like my old Lab just came in from duck hunting.

I love the smell of Hoppe's #9 in the morning. Grew up on it. That being said, if you want something eco-friendly and effective, try Ballistol. Works great, and smells like an old wet dog. No chemical odor there. It's like my old Lab just came in from duck hunting.
I used the Hoppes 2 days ago and I almost couldn't work the next day from headache. I just forced myself into it. I even put it on a small bottle container with a pin size squirt tip, and filled my work trash bin halfway with shredded paper so I can contain it better. Its just a bit strong for me. I'll try this other one they gave me at bi-mart and see if it works out. :s0006:

I used the Hoppes 2 days ago and I almost couldn't work the next day from headache. I just forced myself into it. I even put it on a small bottle container with a pin size squirt tip, and filled my work trash bin halfway with shredded paper so I can contain it better. Its just a bit strong for me. I'll try this other one they gave me at bi-mart and see if it works out. :s0006:
Make a simple fume hood with a cardboard box that has been fitted with a fan to blow the smells away from you.
An old bathroom fart fan with a piece of dryer vent attached to the fan on the box would carry the fumes outside even.

Here is even a simple tutorial on the TubeTubes...
View: https://youtu.be/z64-RwxSztU?si=QMdZXvcNslqUUFSr

Very good information. I'm just new and learning from members here. Lately on in-door range, I'm beginning to take my time and trying learn more how to shoot correctly. I have no idea yet in more of outdoors and what the future holds. But so far its educational, exciting and I'm breaking a sweat too holding that heavy tactical rifle in so many rounds.
what firearm are you using?

Once a month we have a shoot at our black powder club.
Usually its around 25 shots.
Which doesn't sound like much for a cartridge gun....
However...
With 12 - 20 shooters on the line...it can be "much" or time consuming.
Plus with powder now around $40 a pound when you can find it....and caps , for those who use 'em ...
$15 on up , again when you can find 'em....it can be spendy too.

As for cartridge guns....
I mostly shoot one of my .22LR rifles...and 20 gauge shotguns.
I used to shoot fairly often....nowadays not so much....need to go more often.
As for the amount of cartridges shot...I never really concern myself with that....*
I shoot for my enjoyment...
I find shooting at left over clay bird bits , spent shotgun shells , the odd colored rock , leaf or flower challenging and relaxing.
Andy

* That said...
I have looked at the plies of my spent brass / shot shells , as I was policing them up ....
And thought well there went $______
But it was money and time well spent.... :D
hi I Have 2 9mm 1 M&P15 Patrol And I'm learning the M&P15 how often should I go to the range with it??

Just wondering, besides making a special trip to the range with family and friends.
How do you train and maintain yourself starting with what kind and how much (in quantity) ammo do you spend a month?
Initially I use to blow ammos in the range like a mad man. Now I have to put myself in a program.
Per week: .......... Total rounds per month:
30 -9mm ............. 120
100 -22LR ........... 400
15 -5.56 ............... 60
8 -12 gauge ......... 32
I have not shot my M&P15 Patrol yet I'm learning more about it before I shoot it how often should I take that to the range and how many rounds

You can fire as much as you want. No limit. There are people in here that shoots 400 rounds per visit. I wish I can do the same but my budget is limited that's why I wrote mine down so I can do the cycle of each firearm. I wanna balance what I have an looking forward in a year or more.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top