JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I shoot 4-6 times a month at my gun club with various calibers and probably go through 200-300 rds a month. I don't really budget for it specifically. I used to get a fair amount of trigger time using a pcp air rifle controlling pests at one of my work sites but that is going away. I can't really shoot powder burning firearms where I live so I have been setting up a range for my pcp rifles. So far it is just a pellet trap with a target holder and a kyl rack rated for rimfire cals. This is at 50 yds and I have a substantial laminated wood backstop for safety. I now can pretty much shoot anytime I want with my pcp guns and my pellet consumption will rise, but it is pretty cheap fun. Unfortunately I will not be able to shoot my new big bore pcp rifle at home when it arrives due to noise and safety/backstop concerns. I will be suppressing it but I still won't have a safe backstop unless I do some creative excavating.
Also another option is 22lr is as quiet or quieter than pellet if using subsonic and a suppressor. Semi autos the sound of cycling the action with no cartridge is louder than the shot.

I use duct seal for a quiet backstop. You can make it as thick as you want. 14fpe .22 pellet only goes in about 1/2 inch or so but .22 LR goes in farther (about 1/3 the way cuz I use a thick block of duct seal). Not applicable to the big bore pcp though of course. Just a couple things that I found work well fwiw. Feel free to ingnore.

Last Edited:
Also another option is 22lr is as quiet or quieter than pellet if using subsonic and a suppressor. Semi autos the sound of cycling the action with no cartridge is louder than the shot...
What did you shoot there,, A toilet seat? :s0140:
...... Oh man... Long Day!

I try to shoot at least 50 rounds of something every week. This week looks to be 25 rounds of 12 ga at the trap range and more of something else latter in the week.

What ammo would you guys recommend for a PSA AR-15 rifle 16" that is like in the same standard as I use on my other firearm (example below) in a "Better" Category that doesn't break the bank in bulk buying.
Glock 19 = CCI Blazer, Magnatech, Fiocchi (115 to 124 grain)
10/22 and Full Size pistol (semi auto 22LR) = CCi Mini Mag, Federal Automatch (respectively 1200 fps)
I will have to get some today... Thanks
PS: If I fire the PSA AR-15 rifle about 30 rounds tomorrow, would it be okay to clean and lube "just the barrel this time" then full cleanup after the next session?

I try and go once a month and bring up to four guns.
Always put 30 rounds through the edc.
last month was
40 rounds (one mag) through the 5.56
12 rounds through the Kimber .357
Also put 26 rounds through the backup edc.

Target rounds totaling $40.56 for last month, this is half of what I used to fire due to the crazy inflation we are all experiencing.
Got to cut spending anywhere you can to avoid going backwards in this economy. 👍 Shooting 50% less is still 100% enjoyable.

Last Edited:
I dont call it training. I just call it shooting. I usually budget 500 rounds each of 9mm, 7.62 and 5.56 per range trip and maybe 250 of 45 ACP. Two to Three times a month . Not as much as I like

Just got back from a machinegun shoot in Florida. 3000 rounds expended. Its all a write off.

I would say go for quality of the repetitions not quantity. Even with Dry fire you can practice most important stuff like draw, build your grip correctly, presentation/creating alignment, trigger pull etc. Laser cartridges can show you what is happening with your hold and movement when you pull the trigger. They also make simple dry fire tools you can practice draw and first shot (or fancier systems for more $).

Whether it's from in person training or training videos, learning the best techniques is important. Then you can practice those on the range. Then your rounds on the range are of the highest quality cuz you are practicing the specific techniques you need to work on. 2 cents
^^^ This, 100% ^^^
Budget in a training session or two and then build on your skills. Just going to the range and blasting can develop and reinforce bad habits. Tri County has some courses open to the public. Might be worth your while to give them a call and see what they have. Might be able to have a member invite you to a competition such as steel challenge. Just be aware that it's addictive! :s0060:

My input probably isn't that relevant to this thread, as I don't "train" per se. I try to get out to the range every couple weeks at least, but I just shoot for fun, and I almost always have one of my kids with me. My 13yo son decided last weekend that he kind of likes my S&W model 29 Mountain Gun, just not with full-magnum loads.

As a purely recreational shooter, the type of gun and quantity of ammunition expended varies quite a bit. The M1 Carbine sees more action than the AR, and even then a couple hundred rounds will last months. The M1 Garands see 20-30 rounds whenever they come out. .22 lr rifles and pistols go through a couple hundred rounds per trip. We'll shoot a box or two of 9mm, .38 Special, .45 acp, .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, etc. each time, depending on whatever suites me to bring along that day. Sometimes it's a WWII Enfield .38 S&W, a CZ52 in 7.62x25, or a CZ82 in 9mm Makarov.

I don't budget for it at all; if I didn't cast and load my own there's just no way I could afford it. Things like .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, and .45-70 cost me very little to load. There are times that I think about getting rid of most of my 30+ year accumulation of casting and loading gear, but if I did that I'd only be able to afford to shoot boring common guns in boring common rounds like 9mm and 5.56mm. :)

For at home stuff....
I use a simple Red Ryder BB gun to practice my aim and trigger pull.
It sits by the garage door and goes out 1 or 2 times a day when the dogs need to use the bathroom.
Blast different random targets across the yard while they do their business.

I can hit most things now including the pesky sticker bush branch that is draped over the shed in the back.
That branch is about the size of a pencil and I am probably 40-45 feet from it.

It is not a huge thing, but it puts something into my hands to enjoy.

I also plan on buying a airsoft pistol with blowback to place into my holster to practice drawing and firing.
A Glock 19 will be just fine for that as they don't make PSA Daggers in airsoft.
I can practice my skills and not have to worry about if I make a mistake with it as I won't be placing a hole into anything vital with airsoft.
Plus ammo and green gas for one is pretty cheap compared to actual range time.

I can do this when the dogs go out as well....

What ammo would you guys recommend for a PSA AR-15 rifle 16" that is like in the same standard as I use on my other firearm (example below) in a "Better" Category that doesn't break the bank in bulk buying.
Glock 19 = CCI Blazer, Magnatech, Fiocchi (115 to 124 grain)
10/22 and Full Size pistol (semi auto 22LR) = CCi Mini Mag, Federal Automatch (respectively 1200 fps)
I will have to get some today... Thanks
PS: If I fire the PSA AR-15 rifle about 30 rounds tomorrow, would it be okay to clean and lube "just the barrel this time" then full cleanup after the next session?
Well... if you're happy with Blazer, magnatech and federal automatch.... other than steel... just about anything will be adequately comparable for range rounds and you're probably looking at the best bang for your buck per round. Whatever deal comes up. (Hoping none of which you're planning on using for SD loadouts)

Cleaning. You'll get a mixed bag of responses. Only 30 rounds and you're planning on taking it back out in a week or two(?) Just hit the lube points with a drop or two after shooting and leave it alone, IMHO.

If you must... maybe give the BCG and internals a light wipe with a rag, but your barrel... at the "most" I would do would be to run it once with a field snake, but there's really no reason to touch it at all... unless you were out in the rain or dropped it in the dirt or sumthin. ;)

For at home stuff....
I use a simple Red Ryder BB gun to practice my aim and trigger pull.
It sits by the garage door and goes out 1 or 2 times a day when the dogs need to use the bathroom.
Blast different random targets across the yard while they do their business.

I can hit most things now including the pesky sticker bush branch that is draped over the shed in the back.
That branch is about the size of a pencil and I am probably 40-45 feet from it.

It is not a huge thing, but it puts something into my hands to enjoy.

I also plan on buying a airsoft pistol with blowback to place into my holster to practice drawing and firing.
A Glock 19 will be just fine for that as they don't make PSA Daggers in airsoft.
I can practice my skills and not have to worry about if I make a mistake with it as I won't be placing a hole into anything vital with airsoft.
Plus ammo and green gas for one is pretty cheap compared to actual range time.

I can do this when the dogs go out as well....
I suggest getting a bb machine gun so you can practice your full auto skills. That way when you buy that full auto Thompson .45 or mp5 9mm you are ready to go. ;) :s0112:

Mp40 BB gun machine gun

Up til a year ago, I shot nearly every week, 50-100 rounds centerfire, and then a bunch of rimfire. At any given range session, it's a combination of long guns and handguns. For me, it could be 9mm, .38/.357, .40, .45 and less often, some .44. And closer to hunting season, my range sessions include .30-06, .308, and some .30-30. And .223 could happen anytime, for no apparent reason.

Cost? Anywhere from $20 to $75+ per range session. I'm fortunate, much of the ammo I use now was purchased or reloaded long ago when prices were 30% to 50% cheaper.

Last Edited:
Well... if you're happy with Blazer, magnatech and federal automatch.... other than steel... just about anything will be adequately comparable for range rounds and you're probably looking at the best bang for your buck per round. Whatever deal comes up. (Hoping none of which you're planning on using for SD loadouts)

Cleaning. You'll get a mixed bag of responses. Only 30 rounds and you're planning on taking it back out in a week or two(?) Just hit the lube points with a drop or two after shooting and leave it alone, IMHO.

If you must... maybe give the BCG and internals a light wipe with a rag, but your barrel... at the "most" I would do would be to run it once with a field snake, but there's really no reason to touch it at all... unless you were out in the rain or dropped it in the dirt or sumthin. ;)
The Blazer, magnatech and federal automatch are my decent practice ammos beside the special ones that I'm saving.

I want to apply the same category to the 5.56.
So far these are the only 2 that I'm buying. Are these a decent good starting ammos for the PSA AR-15 16"?

Besides these 2 I have special ones that I'm saving.

1709096715025.jpeg

The Blazer, magnatech and federal automatch are my decent practice ammos beside the special ones that I'm saving.

So far these are the only 2 that I'm buying. Are these a decent good starting ammos for the PSA AR-15 16"?

View attachment 1832802
Sure. They'll go pew. Or pew pew pew.

Determine that your "special ones" work well in your rifle AND note any point of impact shifts.

Sure. They'll go pew. Or pew pew pew.

Determine that your "special ones" work well in your rifle AND note any point of impact shifts.
you know me man... and how I record everything even on firearms and ammos. Just like a part time job.
Yikes... speaking off I got the next few hours to got to the range for 2 hours then go grocery to cook sphagetti for the family. then back to work... :s0149:

View attachment 1832802
It depends on what you're going for. Starting out, small quantity purchases and a tight budget, you shoot what you can afford to shoot. As long as they make smoke, they have some training value.

If I were in your shoes with a new rifle... I would be buying as wide a variety of different brands and bullet weights as possible in smaller quantities to first discover what it is my rifle actually likes to eat. All things considered... once I can narrow down which brand/s and weight/s are going to give me the most effective training.... then work out how to keep it as affordable as possible. Scanning ammoseek for deals, watching forum classifieds for private party sales, posting "want to buy" ads, etc etc.

Budget and be prepared to "go deep" when an opportunity arises.

Personally.... I only use what I would consider "mid/higher tier" training/target ammo. Over the years, I've just found that the load inconsistencies and accuracy issues with budget ammo aren't worth trying to save a few cents per round. I have a bit of an advantage "in time" though. To keep costs manageable I only purchase in bulk, during price lull cycles, and only on "too good to pass up" deals. When the stars align... I stack em deep and it keeps me shooting affordably through the price hike cycles with a better quality of training ammo. (And... SD ammo reasonable enough that I don't cringe popping off a mag fairly routinely.)

The "given" is that ammo prices always run in somewhat predictable cycles and it pays to play the "long game".

Last Edited:
Shooting anything can be a tiring experience for many, no matter what you shoot. If you are shooting to sharpen your skills, you don't need to be standing knee deep in brass at the end of the day. Work on your skills, pay attention to proper form and execution. If you get tired, stop. You start to make mistakes when tired. How many times you want to shoot in a week or a month is up to you. It's the actual range time that can benefit you.

Before the hunting "seasons" I get brushed up on my hunting guns. I rarely shoot shotgun throughout the year, so around August I take a couple shotguns and light target loads to the trap / skeet range. Once I get those skills brushed up, then I feel better that I'll actually get birds as opposed to shooting at them. And my dogs don't give me those disappointed looks.
Early summer, it's the varmint rifles. Same drill. Big game, ditto.
I get much more handgun shooting in throughout the year simply because I carry.
With the exception of shotgun ammo, I handload everything, so I don't really concern myself with budgeting. If you don't handload, look for good buys, and that's another reason to be judicious with your range time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top