JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is interesting, and is similar to what I'd read. I do typically feel that carrying in that middle size offers the most versatility. I guess without having tried one out I wouldn't know. The double stack para clone that is the bbr carries ok, but I've yet to find a good holster for it. So, I have a chunky subcompact (that isn't quite the same as a defender style pistol) and full size.
I have a dbl stack Para 1911 - many holsters should fit since the slide is the same; if carrying it will build character or give you back spasms, those are big heavy guns with 15 rounds. Add in a spare mag or two and your into real weight lifting.

Ambi-safty means a thumb strap holster is unlikely to work unless specific to ambi. Leather is best. I'd avoid polymer/Kydex types, no flex. Kramer Leather is tops.

I have a dbl stack Para 1911 - many holsters should fit since the slide is the same; if carrying it will build character or give you back spasms, those are big heavy guns with 15 rounds. Add in a spare mag or two and your into real weight lifting.

Ambi-safty means a thumb strap holster is unlikely to work unless specific to ambi. Leather is best. I'd avoid polymer/Kydex types, no flex. Kramer Leather is tops.
I generally prefer leather as well. The Para clone I mentioned is, more specifically, a warthog clone. Short grip, short, ported barrel, 10 round double stack.
I will look into Kramer leather.
Edit to add: I exclusively carry AIWB unless in the woods.

Last Edited:
Just an opinion. Short short 1911s are a different animal and the dynamics when you shoot it are not like the bigger 1911s.

Because it's smaller it must be controlled when you fire it or like limp wristing any auto it jams. They are harder to control.

Good magazines, ammo with the right ogive for better feeding and ammo that matches your control strength. If you can't hold it firm the next round down will move ahead in the magazine and jam you.

Work and understanding the tool will make it a great gun to carry but if you don't do the same thing every shot then a serious jam can happen.

Spent a lot of time learning this, good luck to you.

20190804_130855.jpg
I like my p938 so much I got the legion version also.
My wife's kimber micro 9 and p238.

I've got an itch that I feel like only a subcompact 1911 can scratch. Preferably in .45. Open to 9. Ambi safety is a must. Why shouId I? Why shouldn't I?
as a fan Ive never felt the need to get an officers size, I figure if I need one that small then pocket options are in order with the same round count and wayyy lighter weight. Commander size 1911 and up have no reliability issues, and the CCO size 1911 solves the carry issue your looking for with the Officers size grip, the commander length slide balances better shooting. Once you get a CCO the search is over...

side note: great guns but the Sig 938/Kimbers... et al are not 1911s.

I have ran a number of compact 1911's over the years, with the Colt, Kimber, and Para Warthawg being the best of them, and I prefer the Warthawg as it's a double stack 9 mm vs the Colt and Kimber in .45, and it is a well made and slick carry pistol!

Keep in mind, these MUST be tuned to get them to run reliably, ether you know what your doing, or your gun smith does, otherwise, it's a crap shoot! the compacts tend to build up a lot of slide velocity and tend to over run the mag stack and ether fail to feed, or fail to engage the bolt face under the extractor properly! The Para/Kimber solution of double springs and plunger/guide rod is the biggest and best fix for this, but still needs tuned properly! Once you get one tuned and running like a Swiss watch, you will be hooked! FWIW, the .45 is actually worse with slide over run, the 9mm tends to have less bite and seems easier to tune!

I've had good luck with the Citadel Compact, (yup polished feed-ramp) several hundred rounds of assorted ammo including my reloads (lrn and lswc), ball and HST's without any issues. Real decent trigger too, breaks nice and clean, about 3 lbs. Runs well with Kimber mags.

4ACE683B-6E03-4F89-9C54-A4158B73464B.jpeg

Personally, I prefer the balance of the commander size and the additional round you get with the slightly longer grip. If your entertaining a Commander sized model, consider the Springfield Ronin, great reviews in both .45 and 9mm. I've not shot one in .45, but in 9mm, that thing is sweet and more accurate than I.

ATI was importing a compact size for awhile, not sure what that availability looks like now, believe it was called the Firepower Extreme or some such…

Make sure you rent and try the exact model you're thinking of buying. Sub compacts...and especially in .45...can often be very unpleasant to shoot.

Also make sure you buy from a MFG that has a solid reputation for service...in case you need it.

Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor!

I have a limited edition Smith & Wesson Performance Center "Shorty 45" pistol that's mint in box that I've never shot.
The original owner ran one magazine through it and then packed it away. It's touted as an exceptionally accurate .45 pistol with a unique titanium Brily barrel bushing and all the fine tuning that the Performance Center could think of.
This limited run of 662 pistols were sold through Lew Horton.

1627969238266.png

1627969061498.png

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads