JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have 2, a Detonics combat master, and an ATI (i know cheap) but hear me out.
Tim Copeland and I worked pretty hard to get the Detonics running reliably but it was very magazine, and ammo sensitive.
I would not trust my life with it.
The ATI on the other hand, after I changed out the recoil spring with a modified Kimber assembly, has been nothing but reliable. Also, the ATI will use any mag, and eat any ammo. Go figure.

I've got an itch that I feel like only a subcompact 1911 can scratch. Preferably in .45. Open to 9. Ambi safety is a must. Why shouId I? Why shouldn't I?
700 fps velocity out of an unreliable platform that weighs way more than it should and carries way less rounds than needed. :s0112:

700 fps velocity out of an unreliable platform that weighs way more than it should and carries way less rounds than needed. :s0112:
I've had more problems with glocks then 1911s in any price range, even if my total number of problems with glocks is low. YMMV.
Thanks for contributing.

Last Edited:
I have 2, a Detonics combat master, and an ATI (i know cheap) but hear me out.
Tim Copeland and I worked pretty hard to get the Detonics running reliably but it was very magazine, and ammo sensitive.
I would not trust my life with it.
The ATI on the other hand, after I changed out the recoil spring with a modified Kimber assembly, has been nothing but reliable. Also, the ATI will use any mag, and eat any ammo. Go figure.
My ATI has run perfectly since day 1, with the exception of a brief issue feeding hollow points that was solved by polishing the feed ramp.

I guess my biggest (and final) question on the subject, is whether or not the quality difference between RIA/Citadel/Tisas/ATI and Kimber/S&W/Colt/Fusion is worth the difference in price?

I guess my biggest (and final) question on the subject, is whether or not the quality difference between RIA/Citadel/Tisas/ATI and Kimber/S&W/Colt/Fusion is worth the difference in price?
It's my opinion that you buy once, cry once. I have been very blessed financially, so only you can determine if the additional money is worth it to you.

It's my opinion that you buy once, cry once. I have been very blessed financially, so only you can determine if the additional money is worth it to you.
I have money put aside, and the sale of my glock 36 will contribute to it.
I typically adhere to the same ethos, but the question remains: is the quality difference between the brands I named worth the difference in price? There are members here who have thousands of rounds through budget 1911s (myself included, though not in the configuration of an officer or commander length pistol) with no issues, and those who have had so many issues with higher priced pistols that they've sworn off those brands, and vice versa.

I have money put aside, and the sale of my glock 36 will contribute to it.
I typically adhere to the same ethos, but the question remains: is the quality difference between the brands I named worth the difference in price? There are members here who have thousands of rounds through budget 1911s (myself included, though not in the configuration of an officer or commander length pistol) with no issues, and those who have had so many issues with higher priced pistols that they've sworn off those brands, and vice versa.
I'm the wrong guy to ask, I spent almost twice the Colt price for a DW, and will likely replace it with a Wilson Combat :D

I'm the wrong guy to ask, I spent almost twice the Colt price for a DW, and will likely replace it with a Wilson Combat :D
Maybe. I have to assume once you get into the 2500-4000+ dollar range you're looking at quality unmatched in other categories, especially in the 500-1000 dollar range, which is closer to where I am. Topping out at 1200.

Maybe. I have to assume once you get into the 2500-4000+ dollar range you're looking at quality unmatched in other categories, especially in the 500-1000 dollar range.
To be honest, probably not.... I've read good things about the RIA, and I've read good and bad things about the Colt Defender.

I've just turned into a snob with most things....

I have a couple of CMC 'Shooting Star' 8 round magazines (because they use GI style baseplates) along with X Grip sleeves. Gives 8+1 of 45 and a full size grip, or mix and match to suit.

I'd take a good look at the Ruger Officer in that price. I haven't read up on them, but I think they're worth a look.
I had. I don't see that they have a model with an ambi safety, but may have missed that. I'm certainly not above putting one in, or paying someone else to, but would rather it came with one.

I have grown fond of the alloy/bobtail frame for carry. With this, no real reason to go shorter in the barrel and sacrifice velocity.

D65953FB-D44F-4273-AC95-8F3B35198E35.jpeg

I had. I don't see that they have a model with an ambi safety, but may have missed that. I'm certainly not above putting one in, or paying someone else to, but would rather it came with one.
I forgot about the Ambi requirement, it might better to have one installed and buy the right gun for you from your manufacturer of choice.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top