JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have Colt Lightweight Officer in .45acp, bought it years ago and I would say that it is not as reliable as a modern polymer semi-auto like a Glock or Beretta etc. It does feel great in the hands but due to its smaller size, the felt recoil in much greater in your hands compared to a full sized 1911. You will not be wanting to use this as a range toy.

I've kept it because it is a cool gun but for carry/self-defense and range shooting, there are much better guns out there that are cheaper, more reliable, has greater ammo capacity and lighter than a Lightweight Officer 1911.

Wow, I'd love to see photos of the 70 series Officer's. They didn't come out until late 84/early 85 and I have never seen or heard of one that isn't an 80 series. That would be my dream.
Had me a polished blue Colt Officers ACP, series 70 back about that timeframe '85-'88, carried in a Bianchi Askins Avenger holster. Stupidly, I let it slip through my fingers…. Ah, the stupidly of youth!

EMP 3 inch
Fits the offers tier 1
Enuff said!!!

20210520_183605.jpg 20210514_022610.jpg 20210310_152502.jpg

I have a limited edition Smith & Wesson Performance Center "Shorty 45" pistol that's mint in box that I've never shot.
The original owner ran one magazine through it and then packed it away. It's touted as an exceptionally accurate .45 pistol with a unique titanium Brily barrel bushing and all the fine tuning that the Performance Center could think of.
This limited run of 662 pistols were sold through Lew Horton.

View attachment 1004229

View attachment 1004228

That is unique, Smiths did not have 1911 style barrel bushings.

The Brily barrel collar is tightly ensconced inside the bushing, rotates as the barrel tilts, which allows the barrel to bushing to have very tight tolerances.

1628011263106.png

I used to have a Springfield Ultra Compact 3" .45.acp. All stainless steel. 100% reliable. Regretted selling it every day since the sale

I now have a Rock Island 3.5" 'Officer' in .45acp. All steel, and no worse to shoot than my Springfield LTWT Operator Commander 4".

On the Rock Island, I did replace the original guide rod and spring with an EGW solid stainless one piece guide rod and flat wire spring set. Been 100% reliable.

The Springfield LTWT Operator also has the EGW guide rod and flat wire spring set up in it. 100% reliable and less felt recoil.

Just my experience.

In the pic below are from left to right:

Springfield Range Officer Elite 9mm (Commander), Springfield Lightweight Operator .45ACP (Commander), Rock Island .45ACP (Officer 3.5")

1628042642731.jpeg

The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

Had me a polished blue Colt Officers ACP, series 70 back about that timeframe '85-'88, carried in a Bianchi Askins Avenger holster. Stupidly, I let it slip through my fingers…. Ah, the stupidly of youth!
Do you have a photo of it? Colt was not making 70 series pistols during the entire production of OACPs and I would love to have a new grail to seek. Sounds gorgeous.

I was told by 1 gun store manager that a 3" .45 barrel is prone to jams unless it's set up just right.

I have also had great functional experience with a colt defender (long gone, unfortunately).

Got lucky with the colt? Maybe.
Had same Colt Defender....not one problem....miss that thing.

I can recommend the RIA Rock Ultra as meeting your wants and needs both. I have the 'GI' series version with lesser GI sights and single safety in 45. I like mine

I would love a EMP in 40 (I don't recall a 45)

I've owned two Officer sized 1911s. First was a P12-45. Only time it was a problem was when a friend limp wristed it, then it stovepiped. Had an issue around 1000-1500 rounds with the FPS, but that's not length related. It is the reason I don't like "Series 80" style of pistols.
The other was a Colt Officers in stainless. Worked like a champ.
Most of the comments about the shortys not feeding right is leftover from way back when, before manufacturers were making the guns and they were "bob jobs". My Para was made over 30 years ago...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top