JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you talkin' Henry Ender's in Clackamas River Road here? Back in the day legal age meant you could see over the top of the counter without a step stool. Made many a rafting trip down the Clackamas powered by his rhubarb wine...

Yes I am! That Rhubarb wine was the best fruit wine I've ever had, by a large margin! Not sour but not sweet, perfect!
I remember filling a large Coke cup with it and wandering around downtown PDX, sippin', checking out the girls and generally having a real good time! :D

Yes I am! That Rhubarb wine was the best fruit wine I've ever had, by a large margin! Not sour but not sweet, perfect!
I remember filling a large Coke cup with it and wandering around downtown PDX, sippin', checking out the girls and generally having a real good time! :D

Lord, I miss those days of sweet wine and sweet freedom. Never thought one would be gone and the other turn sour.

67 Chevy
67Chev.JPG

I hesitated to write in this thread because some will not believe no matter what I say, but after reading through some of the other posts, I felt I should contribute my own story as well because I read some of the other odd stories and I don't want those of you who have written about your experiences to feel alone. For those of you who don't believe; that's your prerogative, but I have no reason to make any of this up.

Years and years ago, before St. Helens blew, I was in high school with a couple of friends and we decided to go camping/hiking on the mountain. I remember I had just been driving for a few months so I was 16 at the time. Three of us drove up together, found a likely looking creek, and set off with our packs and fishing poles to see if we could find some fish, camp, and just be kids with nothing better to do. Being 16 and not having easy access to a handgun, none of us were armed (we were dumb kids); something that I can honestly say I never do today... If I am in the woods, I have a gun on me ALWAYS.

After hiking for a couple of hours, the creek we were hiking/fishing up turned into about a 30 foot water fall with us at the bottom of it. We debated calling it quits as it was obvious there were not going to be any fish above the falls, but decided to push on anyway and camp as originally planned. Several hours later and miles from the road, we found a place to camp with our tents. I had the first of what turned out to be many migraine headaches in my life just as we were setting up camp. We had no asprin or other medical supplies for that matter (did I mention we were dumb kids?), so one of my friends who had a bad case of hay fever offered me a prescription hay fever pill which he said would at least put me to sleep, which sounded pretty good to me about then. I woke up a couple of hours later and the headache was better. Not gone, but at least better. I decided that there was a tree down the hill from camp a ways that looked like it needed some fertilization and wandered off to go see if I could help it in that regard. It was getting towards dusk at this point, and I didn't have a flashlight (did I mention we were REALLY dumb kids?) and I wanted to do "my thing" before it got completely dark. As I finished my business, now being about 100 yards from camp, I heard the most Godawful shriek I have ever heard in my life. The sound as best as I can describe it was like a woman screaming like she was being murdered. I spun around to the direction the sound had come from and saw two trees about 6 or 7 feet apart, being shaken by bending in towards each other and then back out again, back and forth with long LOUD screams going on the whole time. The two trees were about another 100 yards away from me with me being between them and camp. Now mind you, I grew up with an outdoors man for a father teaching me to hunt and fish from the time I was about 6, and have spent countless hours in the woods. I have never heard or seen anything like this before or since. The part that was most impressive was the trees themselves were large trees; probably about 8 or 10 inches at the base. I couldn't see anything that was causing the trees to move due to tall grass and brush between me and the trees. Had I of been armed, I would have gone closer to investigate right then, but discretion being the better part of valor, I decided to beat a hasty retreat back to camp. My friends and I talked about what I had seen and heard when I got back to camp, but they hadn't heard it, apparently because the geography of the hill blocked the sound from reaching them. The next morning, all was quiet and I went back to the trees to see if I could figure out what was causing the ruckus. The grass/brush was beaten down in the area, but there were no footprints or other identifying marks. I tried to grasp the two trees to pull them in towards each other as I had seen, but by holding one tree, the other was at least a foot beyond the grasp of my other hand.

When I got home, I told my old man about what had happened.. he kind of raised his eyebrows and asked me to point on the map to where we had been camping. I did so by retracing the road and the creek we hiked up... into Ape Canyon.... As I said, we just drove until we found a likely looking place to hike... we didn't know where we were exactly by name....

I don't know to this day what I saw/heard. The part that blows my mind still is that the trees were being pulled in towards each other... To grasp and pull two trees together like that kind of requires opposable thumbs I think... I have a few other woodsman type friends that around camp fires I have shared this story with and I have been surprised to find out that more than one of them have had similar stories.... I would have scoffed at someone suggesting such a thing as Bigfoot prior to this experience... now; I am not so sure.

There it is; take it or leave it. I will swear to whatever deity of your choice however, every word of it is true.

I hesitated to write in this thread because some will not believe no matter what I say, but after reading through some of the other posts, I felt I should contribute my own story as well because I read some of the other odd stories and I don't want those of you who have written about your experiences to feel alone. For those of you who don't believe; that's your prerogative, but I have no reason to make any of this up.

Years and years ago, before St. Helens blew, I was in high school with a couple of friends and we decided to go camping/hiking on the mountain. I remember I had just been driving for a few months so I was 16 at the time. Three of us drove up together, found a likely looking creek, and set off with our packs and fishing poles to see if we could find some fish, camp, and just be kids with nothing better to do. Being 16 and not having easy access to a handgun, none of us were armed (we were dumb kids); something that I can honestly say I never do today... If I am in the woods, I have a gun on me ALWAYS.

After hiking for a couple of hours, the creek we were hiking/fishing up turned into about a 30 foot water fall with us at the bottom of it. We debated calling it quits as it was obvious there were not going to be any fish above the falls, but decided to push on anyway and camp as originally planned. Several hours later and miles from the road, we found a place to camp with our tents. I had the first of what turned out to be many migraine headaches in my life just as we were setting up camp. We had no asprin or other medical supplies for that matter (did I mention we were dumb kids?), so one of my friends who had a bad case of hay fever offered me a prescription hay fever pill which he said would at least put me to sleep, which sounded pretty good to me about then. I woke up a couple of hours later and the headache was better. Not gone, but at least better. I decided that there was a tree down the hill from camp a ways that looked like it needed some fertilization and wandered off to go see if I could help it in that regard. It was getting towards dusk at this point, and I didn't have a flashlight (did I mention we were REALLY dumb kids?) and I wanted to do "my thing" before it got completely dark. As I finished my business, now being about 100 yards from camp, I heard the most Godawful shriek I have ever heard in my life. The sound as best as I can describe it was like a woman screaming like she was being murdered. I spun around to the direction the sound had come from and saw two trees about 6 or 7 feet apart, being shaken by bending in towards each other and then back out again, back and forth with long LOUD screams going on the whole time. The two trees were about another 100 yards away from me with me being between them and camp. Now mind you, I grew up with an outdoors man for a father teaching me to hunt and fish from the time I was about 6, and have spent countless hours in the woods. I have never heard or seen anything like this before or since. The part that was most impressive was the trees themselves were large trees; probably about 8 or 10 inches at the base. I couldn't see anything that was causing the trees to move due to tall grass and brush between me and the trees. Had I of been armed, I would have gone closer to investigate right then, but discretion being the better part of valor, I decided to beat a hasty retreat back to camp. My friends and I talked about what I had seen and heard when I got back to camp, but they hadn't heard it, apparently because the geography of the hill blocked the sound from reaching them. The next morning, all was quiet and I went back to the trees to see if I could figure out what was causing the ruckus. The grass/brush was beaten down in the area, but there were no footprints or other identifying marks. I tried to grasp the two trees to pull them in towards each other as I had seen, but by holding one tree, the other was at least a foot beyond the grasp of my other hand.

When I got home, I told my old man about what had happened.. he kind of raised his eyebrows and asked me to point on the map to where we had been camping. I did so by retracing the road and the creek we hiked up... into Ape Canyon.... As I said, we just drove until we found a likely looking place to hike... we didn't know where we were exactly by name....

I don't know to this day what I saw/heard. The part that blows my mind still is that the trees were being pulled in towards each other... To grasp and pull two trees together like that kind of requires opposable thumbs I think... I have a few other woodsman type friends that around camp fires I have shared this story with and I have been surprised to find out that more than one of them have had similar stories.... I would have scoffed at someone suggesting such a thing as Bigfoot prior to this experience... now; I am not so sure.

There it is; take it or leave it. I will swear to whatever deity of your choice however, every word of it is true.
Good story! I believe you - I have a good friend who is was a Marine before he started working for the National Forest Service (I only mention this to underscore the fact that he is an honest and upstanding guy). He worked both the Mount Ranier and Mount St. Helens areas and said that not only had he and 3 other rangers witnessed a bigfoot type creature running up the mountain, but has also heard stories of many, many encounters in the exact area that you had yours. I'm sure you know the history of Ape Canyon by now, but if you don't, look up how it got its name...... :eek::eek:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews