JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Out riding around in the woods last week I found this Collins double bit axe. Handle was trash and the head was hung upside down but I'll take it!

16230405_220326178374107_3971621615128543232_n.jpg

Bigfoot. Sasquatch. Skunk ape. Or long haired pre-historic native tribal pre-human. Whatever you want to call them. Two sightings of such creatures, 60 miles apart. I haven't told many people, because they'd call me crazy and say no way - but I saw what I saw. It wasn't a bear. Wasn't deer. Humanoid, bi-pedal creature standing erect both times, that was fully covered in long hair. First sighting was up on Goat Mountain south of Estacada, August 2012, and was witnessed by two of my cousins - as we were in my old Jeep crawling down an old abandoned logging road that the earth was reclaiming after a shooting trip and exploration trip up there. The thing was standing on the edge of the road. We all saw it. Scared the crap out of us because as we got close, it jumped up a steep bank and disappeared into the thick forest. We'd already had another strange encounter earlier in the day - not a sighting of anything, but further up the mountain, when we drove up, we stopped where the road/trail forked. Parked the jeep and split up - my younger cousin (who is a member here) went west toward Williams Lake, while his brother accompanied me on the fork heading south. Only a few minutes of walking, we heard his brother screaming and we took off his direction. He came busting back down the road - full run. Said something scared him - he heard strange noises - not a cat, not a bear, nothing like he'd ever heard. We grabbed rifles out of the car and set out walking back up the direction he went. Didn't hear anything, but there was a nasty smell on the breeze. We decided to head back to the jeep and drive down the trail his brother and I were exploring. We found an old rock pit, put the strange encounter out of our minds and had a few hours of shooting fun. It was on the trip back down the hill that we saw the creature. It looked to be a juvenile - as it was less than 6' tall, but it was unmistakable in appearance. Putting the two incidents together, talking about what we saw, we surmised that the noises Ty heard early in the day could've been this thing, or likely it's parent trying to warn us off. We did NOT want to stop the jeep and get out to look for tracks to try to follow this thing because we didn't want to tangle with it's mommy if indeed she was nearby. Motherly instinct seems to be similar across the animal kingdom, and if what we saw was a baby bigfoot - it's mother would no doubt be as protective as a mama cat, a mama bear, or a mama human if she thinks her baby is being threatened.

My second sighting occurred November 26th last year, while I was on a solo fishing trip. I was in the upper reaches of the Gales Creek drainage, upstream of the campground. I had been fishing a productive run - the first really productive run I'd come to all day - and had sat down and ate lunch (MRE peanutbutter, water, foil pack of Tuna) about 1 PM or so. After lunch I began fishing again - and maybe ten minutes later I started getting this weird feeling that I was being watched. I started scanning the area around me - and when I turned to scan behind me - there only 20 yards or so away was an adult creature standing on the edge of the logging road that parallels the stream. It was watching me, and I think I startled it when I turned to face it. It took off running and went up the steep bubblegum hill behind us. Unlike the first encounter - this really didn't scare me - so I tried to go back to fishing, but the rain started to come down, and the temperature dropped, so I began the hike out to my car. I headed straight for where I saw the thing - it had been standing on the gravel road bed, so there were no tracks to photograph. I did look at the hillside - but the soil was really soft (we'd had a LOT of rain before this, and the creek was still high, fast, and off color) and covered in moss and brush. There was soil displacement, but no clear footprints, so I did not bother taking pictures.

I've seen evidence of these creatures before in other places, felt that feeling of being watched without seeing what it was before. I told in this thread, back in 2012, of finding large piles of humanoid poop near my campsite on Butte Creek.

When my wife and I were camping on our honeymoon in July of 2007, we were way up the Little North Fork of the Santiam above Opal Creek when we stopped to fish a good looking run above a rapid. The bank on the north side was narrow, and there was a sheer cliff 10-15 feet high The south bank was steep and brushy. Wife was sitting on a rock resting while I fished, when we both got a feeling we were being watched. My first thought was that we were being stalked by a big cat, or there was a black bear nearby - or maybe even other hikers (though there was no trail where we were at, the only way in was either bushwacking the steep hillsides, or up the river like we did)

I started looking around, and found tracks nearby leading out of the water, to the sheer cliff I mentioned before. Wet footprints - heel and toes visible, leading from the water over the dry rocks to the hillside, and they just ended there. Didn't turn around, just ended right at the cliffside. I started looking around at the top of the hill and saw nothing. We got freaked out enough to head back downstream and closer to camp, and fished where there was a trail nearby. Neither one of us had a camera or phone on us at the time, because the place we were headed required swimming or deep wading to reach, so we got no pictures of the wet footprints. They were certainly humanoid though, and the print of the bare foot was larger than my size 12 wading boots. If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably a size 14 or 16.

I may be a bit off, but I'm not crazy. I know what I've seen. And if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, and had the prior experiences I had, I probably wouldn't believe the story myself. Personally I don't think that bigfoot is an animal - that is, I don't think that they're an ape. I think they're either pre-human, or a feral human offshoot breed. I've done a lot of research and discovered that many native peoples refer to them like brothers, they talk about tribes of sasquatch, and they're just too damn human-like in appearance. Big, strong, fast humanoids. Probably the "missing link" between us and apes.

Bigfoot. Sasquatch. Skunk ape. Or long haired pre-historic native tribal pre-human. Whatever you want to call them. Two sightings of such creatures, 60 miles apart. I haven't told many people, because they'd call me crazy and say no way - but I saw what I saw. It wasn't a bear. Wasn't deer. Humanoid, bi-pedal creature standing erect both times, that was fully covered in long hair. First sighting was up on Goat Mountain south of Estacada, August 2012, and was witnessed by two of my cousins - as we were in my old Jeep crawling down an old abandoned logging road that the earth was reclaiming after a shooting trip and exploration trip up there. The thing was standing on the edge of the road. We all saw it. Scared the crap out of us because as we got close, it jumped up a steep bank and disappeared into the thick forest. We'd already had another strange encounter earlier in the day - not a sighting of anything, but further up the mountain, when we drove up, we stopped where the road/trail forked. Parked the jeep and split up - my younger cousin (who is a member here) went west toward Williams Lake, while his brother accompanied me on the fork heading south. Only a few minutes of walking, we heard his brother screaming and we took off his direction. He came busting back down the road - full run. Said something scared him - he heard strange noises - not a cat, not a bear, nothing like he'd ever heard. We grabbed rifles out of the car and set out walking back up the direction he went. Didn't hear anything, but there was a nasty smell on the breeze. We decided to head back to the jeep and drive down the trail his brother and I were exploring. We found an old rock pit, put the strange encounter out of our minds and had a few hours of shooting fun. It was on the trip back down the hill that we saw the creature. It looked to be a juvenile - as it was less than 6' tall, but it was unmistakable in appearance. Putting the two incidents together, talking about what we saw, we surmised that the noises Ty heard early in the day could've been this thing, or likely it's parent trying to warn us off. We did NOT want to stop the jeep and get out to look for tracks to try to follow this thing because we didn't want to tangle with it's mommy if indeed she was nearby. Motherly instinct seems to be similar across the animal kingdom, and if what we saw was a baby bigfoot - it's mother would no doubt be as protective as a mama cat, a mama bear, or a mama human if she thinks her baby is being threatened.

My second sighting occurred November 26th last year, while I was on a solo fishing trip. I was in the upper reaches of the Gales Creek drainage, upstream of the campground. I had been fishing a productive run - the first really productive run I'd come to all day - and had sat down and ate lunch (MRE peanutbutter, water, foil pack of Tuna) about 1 PM or so. After lunch I began fishing again - and maybe ten minutes later I started getting this weird feeling that I was being watched. I started scanning the area around me - and when I turned to scan behind me - there only 20 yards or so away was an adult creature standing on the edge of the logging road that parallels the stream. It was watching me, and I think I startled it when I turned to face it. It took off running and went up the steep bubblegum hill behind us. Unlike the first encounter - this really didn't scare me - so I tried to go back to fishing, but the rain started to come down, and the temperature dropped, so I began the hike out to my car. I headed straight for where I saw the thing - it had been standing on the gravel road bed, so there were no tracks to photograph. I did look at the hillside - but the soil was really soft (we'd had a LOT of rain before this, and the creek was still high, fast, and off color) and covered in moss and brush. There was soil displacement, but no clear footprints, so I did not bother taking pictures.

I've seen evidence of these creatures before in other places, felt that feeling of being watched without seeing what it was before. I told in this thread, back in 2012, of finding large piles of humanoid poop near my campsite on Butte Creek.

When my wife and I were camping on our honeymoon in July of 2007, we were way up the Little North Fork of the Santiam above Opal Creek when we stopped to fish a good looking run above a rapid. The bank on the north side was narrow, and there was a sheer cliff 10-15 feet high The south bank was steep and brushy. Wife was sitting on a rock resting while I fished, when we both got a feeling we were being watched. My first thought was that we were being stalked by a big cat, or there was a black bear nearby - or maybe even other hikers (though there was no trail where we were at, the only way in was either bushwacking the steep hillsides, or up the river like we did)

I started looking around, and found tracks nearby leading out of the water, to the sheer cliff I mentioned before. Wet footprints - heel and toes visible, leading from the water over the dry rocks to the hillside, and they just ended there. Didn't turn around, just ended right at the cliffside. I started looking around at the top of the hill and saw nothing. We got freaked out enough to head back downstream and closer to camp, and fished where there was a trail nearby. Neither one of us had a camera or phone on us at the time, because the place we were headed required swimming or deep wading to reach, so we got no pictures of the wet footprints. They were certainly humanoid though, and the print of the bare foot was larger than my size 12 wading boots. If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably a size 14 or 16.

I may be a bit off, but I'm not crazy. I know what I've seen. And if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, and had the prior experiences I had, I probably wouldn't believe the story myself. Personally I don't think that bigfoot is an animal - that is, I don't think that they're an ape. I think they're either pre-human, or a feral human offshoot breed. I've done a lot of research and discovered that many native peoples refer to them like brothers, they talk about tribes of sasquatch, and they're just too damn human-like in appearance. Big, strong, fast humanoids. Probably the "missing link" between us and apes.

You're crazy, no way. :rolleyes:

Actually, I believe you! ;):D

It's funny how that works, my buddy and I both had that feeling once 20 years ago when we were fishing on a remote lake in the Bull Of The Woods area. He spotted a cat just laying on a high ledge just watching us. We would have never seen it except it was swishing it's tail.

I heard or read somewhere a long time ago that what robertg described might be a cat's game of "peek-a-boo" (as I remember it being referred to).
They'll sit there, very still, and stare at you and wait to see if you look back.
I guess you could also think of it as the cat version of "Where's Waldo".

Dean

Found in the woods, not strange...just sad

OK, these are not funny pics, but something we found out in the woods, and could be disturbing to others besides me.

I can say we contacted the authorities, gave them the gps co-ordinates, the horses were rescued, and the people that did this dealt with.

Yes, 4 horses in similar condition to the one in the pics, he was the only one I could get close to and you can see he's eating grass I fed him.

They were fenced off on a dead end logging road, on a steep hill side, with no access to any water.
View attachment 326507 View attachment 326508
:(
Are thos handcuffs?!?! bubblegums.

Totally believe ya! My dad and I were fishing on the N. Fork of the Santiam and we were setting up camp for the one night were were there and I went down to the river early to do some fishing. Saw this strange thing IN the river. I (being a strange 13 year old boy) yelled "Hey!" It made the most terrifying scream ever, like a person being torn limb from limb and ran off still screaming. Full long, black hair and a good 8 feet tall. My dad thought I was lying but I showed him were I saw it and he looked at the spot through the binos and there were massive, and I mean massive even to me with size 13 1/2 feet. Even he was a little freaked out and he has seen a lot of strange bubblegum.

image.jpg Many years back while hunting Elk in the blue mountains I was heading up a ridge line to get above the thermals that were starting to lift as the sun started to warm things up.
The country was very steep and covered in ponderosa.
After climbing in elevation 1500 feet or so I finally gained the top of the ridge line and sat back against a large pine to mainly get my wind back and eat.
As I sat there finishing packing my canteen and grub back into my pack I noticed some old pottery shards poking up through the pine needles and duff.
I pulled a few up and noticed a pretty pattern of painted china on most of the broken pieces.
I was turning to continue my hunt and noticed another slightly rounded piece of white barely poking out of the duff.
I went to pick it up but found it was just the outside edge of something that was mostly buried, I dug it out expecting to find yet another broken chunk only to find a beautiful small tea pot.
Giving the fact that I was in the middle of nowhere and the nearest real road was at least six mile, my guess is this had to be left in order to lighten a load deemed to heavy to descend the grade safely in a wagon?
I can only imagine the story, but if those old trees could talk!
I put the solvent bottle in the picture for size reference.

That's pretty cool, I know a guy in Idaho who farms on the southern Idaho desert. While he was plowing up some new ground, something surfaced behind the plow. He stopped the tractor, and upon inspection, he found what was a complete chest full of linens and China. It would have all been in tact, had his plow not torn it to pieces.

No longer a legal tool - From what I have been told [not 100% sure] Banned by OSHA.
Silver Hand
I do not see any reference online about that; and even then, there are new double-bit headed axes being sold online...... and honestly, what about the special firefighting axes with the spike polls? :eek: Aren't those more dangerous!? or the Mattock tools, or pickaxes

EDIT on topic;

I have yet to find anything beyond trash. HAve had eerie feelings a few times out, especially on the upper roads near Moose Creek just off HWY 20 past Cascadia... Speaking of which, I turned back after I saw someone aiming his rifle off the top of his camper shell at the first campsite into Moose Creek, across from the forest road past the bridge, no way am I gonna risk being SHOT at just for camping! :rolleyes:

I do not see any reference online about that; and even then, there are new double-bit headed axes being sold online...... and honestly, what about the special firefighting axes with the spike polls? :eek: Aren't those more dangerous!? or the Mattock tools, or pickaxes

EDIT on topic;

I have yet to find anything beyond trash. HAve had eerie feelings a few times out, especially on the upper roads near Moose Creek just off HWY 20 past Cascadia... Speaking of which, I turned back after I saw someone aiming his rifle off the top of his camper shell at the first campsite into Moose Creek, across from the forest road past the bridge, no way am I gonna risk being SHOT at just for camping! :rolleyes:

I am not a logger but someone told me they were no longer allowed on the landing. True or not?
Silver Hand

Maybe it's just companies asking to not bring double bits anymore? or possibly insurance reasons?

I watched my grandfather back around 1962 swing a double bit in the dark to split a large chunk of pine after we had returned from a long cold day hunting elk east of Ukiah. My grandmother had strung a cloths line to dry wet clothing on either side of the now dead fire which he was going to rebuild, and didn't think about the fact that she had inadverntly strung it directly over the chopping block about eight feet up and you guessed it,, it hit below the bit, stretched like a bow string and snapped back hitting him smack between the horns!
I don't know which flowed more, the blood or the profanity.
The tough old bear was laid open pretty good but refused to leave camp, deciding to do the doctoring himself and wouldn't let the old woman touch him to help.
The day I went to see him at the funeral home years later, he was laying there all decked out in a suit he would only be caught dead in, and I just couldn't help the stupid grin that spread across my face as I saw that jagged old scar on that old mans forehead and wondered back in time remembering.
They just don't make em like that man much any more.
Yep, a little off topic I know, but the strange things I found in the woods that night were a new found respect for toughness and and whole bunch of words that were new to my young ears to practice on:D

I watched my grandfather back around 1962 swing a double bit in the dark to split a large chunk of pine after we had returned from a long cold day hunting elk east of Ukiah. My grandmother had strung a cloths line to dry wet clothing on either side of the now dead fire which he was going to rebuild, and didn't think about the fact that she had inadverntly strung it directly over the chopping block about eight feet up and you guessed it,, it hit below the bit, stretched like a bow string and snapped back hitting him smack between the horns!
I don't know which flowed more, the blood or the profanity.
The tough old bear was laid open pretty good but refused to leave camp, deciding to do the doctoring himself and wouldn't let the old woman touch him to help.
The day I went to see him at the funeral home years later, he was laying there all decked out in a suit he would only be caught dead in, and I just couldn't help the stupid grin that spread across my face as I saw that jagged old scar on that old mans forehead and wondered back in time remembering.
They just don't make em like that man much any more.
Yep, a little off topic I know, but the strange things I found in the woods that night were a new found respect for toughness and and whole bunch of words that were new to my young ears to practice on:D
Great thread!!
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews