JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
shipping containers can be a great way to store things but for a bunker I would definitely bury it.

bunker1.jpg

However please do your own due diligence!

There is a whole bunch of structural work which would be required, as well as rust prevention. Then there's that whole breathing thing that we all do...

Yes and yes. I could lay out the whole plan but that would be to much work with out coffee so I'll just say yes it is in the plans. Problem is I'm not sure the plan will ever get used. :(

I already have the one 20' and not looking to get more at the home I'm in now.

This would be a quake temp shelter and not meant to be sealed in except at night.

It is above ground and I like the elevate it with jacks idea.

Mostly this would be a way to keep all of my preps from filling my basement (inconvenient) and keeping them accessible if my house falls in on them.

This would be a quake temp shelter and not meant to be sealed in except at night.

Have you thought about how to accomplish that? You are talking about jacks and the container on top of them in the event of an earthquake. Wouldn't the container just fall off? Possibly get smashed?

I already have the one 20' and not looking to get more at the home I'm in now.

Mostly this would be a way to keep all of my preps from filling my basement (inconvenient) and keeping them accessible if my house falls in on them.

I would put it on ground that has several inches at least of rough granite gravel with drainage underneath that. Similar to a roadbed or driveway. I would extend that out several feet at least. This should keep it from sinking into mud/etc. during the winter and reduce tracking in of mud.

I would also look for inexpensive but durable awnings that you could attach to sides of the container so people have a place to do things outside while avoiding direct sun or rain.

Have you thought about how to accomplish that? You are talking about jacks and the container on top of them in the event of an earthquake. Wouldn't the container just fall off? Possibly get smashed?

The container is only 3500lbs. I've used my 3 ton car jack to move it slightly after it was delivered. It's on soil so yeah corners can be dug out and it jacked up after a quake. No reason to do it now a short it's been quite water tight for awhile now and my property level is above street level and also one of the higher places in the area.

I would put it on ground that has several inches at least of rough granite gravel with drainage underneath that. Similar to a roadbed or driveway. I would extend that out several feet at least. This should keep it from sinking into mud/etc. during the winter and reduce tracking in of mud.

I would also look for inexpensive but durable awnings that you could attach to sides of the container so people have a place to do things outside while avoiding direct sun or rain.
Great ideas. I have to say that material from habitat for humanity is relatively cheap. Also start going to construction sites and talk to the foreman and see what "leftovers " they have.

The container is only 3500lbs. I've used my 3 ton car jack to move it slightly after it was delivered. It's on soil so yeah corners can be dug out and it jacked up after a quake. No reason to do it now a short it's been quite water tight for awhile now and my property level is above street level and also one of the higher places in the area.
I have an idea that may work for earthquakes. What about stone bed like Heretic said. Slabs of concrete in the corners and one in the middle. Not connected with each other. Then have thick springs in the support pillars. I think I heard that the White House is built like that somewhere.

As far as someone locking you inside, all anyone would have to do is park their car in front of the doors and you're screwed. Have a Sawzall or blow torch just in case, but even then, it would take you long enough to cut through that they would easily be able to shoot you through the walls, especially considering all the noise you'll make. Unless you have a pre-built escape hatch like someone mentioned. Not a bad idea actually....I saw something like that on an episode of Dooms Day preppers.

I guess a ladder and hatch in the roof would be the best idea for retaliating against a siege as I would have elevation and a 360 degree view.w

My intention for this is more of a storage place and temp shelter vs a bunker that would survive an assault.

It was not my plan in the beginning or I would have prepared the area differently like drainage rock etc.

A couple of steel or concrete posts on the side of the house would keep most vehicles from accessing the back yard I think, maybe even some spikes.

My intention for this is more of a storage place and temp shelter vs a bunker that would survive an assault.
amazing how complex design plans can change when you throw in a couple additional specs;

when living in the gravel-outback years ago such details one by one became exposed to the inherent weakness of each; still, the balance between 'attractant/bunker/inconspicuous' all had merit.

Prowlers & unexpected visitors of unknown intention all required their own action plan. 'Stealth containers' have merit.

The gravel is a common way to reduce mud/etc. and sinking of a structure or vehicle into the ground. Examples of course are driveways and roadbeds. Other examples are areas where trailers and mobile/manufactured homes are placed.

I have one of these on my property; the current manufactured home is a custom triple wide placed on concrete, but there was a single wide on the property before the previous owners brought in the current home. That single wide was placed on almost two feet of coarse gravel most of which is about 2" in diameter so almost rip rap but smaller.

It is a very stable place to put a structure - the POs had a temporary green house and storage structure there (hoops with plastic). In the 5 years I have been here it has never been muddy like the driveway was before I paved it (the driveway has about 4 inches of gravel of much smaller dimension and now about 2 to 3" of asphalt).

Bear in mind, I get about twice the rain the valley gets - this spring I had almost 50" of rain recorded in my weather station. When the rainy season hits, even though I can easily walk on the ground because of all the vegetation and trees soaking up the water and there is never standing water, even in the ditches, if I drive my big truck (weighs 4 tons) onto the ground it will get stuck and sink into the ground easily. This is why this year I used a dozer to level out the ground - I had a LOT of ruts and holes from the timber thinning I had done in 2014:

1560662_200125513515655_1367467533_n.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top