JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Build a concrete underground living space and place the container on top.
Access to the "basement" is by a ladder hidden behind a false wall of shelving in the container. A patio table and chairs maybe a couple of folding cots inside the front of the "upstairs" container and the illusion is complete....
....unless, of course, "they" are watching and following you.

Home ... Shipping Containers ... Design ... Engineering ...

I have always wondered how fun it would be if one were rich and crazy to turn 100 steel and aluminum various length storage shipping containers cans into a 10,000++ square foot above and underground abstract looking home?

Steel. Aluminum. Insulated. Non insulated.

You know, place the cans at strange angles using some as multiple stairwells. Open some up making large spaces. Using power towers and cool tubes to vent/heat/cool the whole works. Add many PVs and a big batter bank.

Lots of windows in places.

Perhaps 4 or 5 stories. Perhaps 2 or 3 decks underground. Highly engineered. Several deep deep survival cans. Multiple entries and exits. Designed for about 12 for long duration off the grid total independence.

A big APU. Huge stainless steel Propane underground tanks holding 10 years worth of energy. Perhaps a remote location. If one were rich and crazy, think of all the fun one could have building such. Sounds good to me.

But then I am crazy. :)

I have always wondered how fun it would be if one were rich and crazy to turn 100 steel and aluminum various length storage shipping containers cans into a 10,000++ square foot above and underground abstract looking home?

You know, place the cans at strange angles using some as multiple stairwells. Open some up making large spaces. Using power towers and cool tubes to vent/heat/cool the whole works. Add many PVs and a big batter bank.

Perhaps 4 or 5 stories. Perhaps 2 or 3 decks underground. Highly engineered. Several deep deep survival cans. Multiple entries and exits. Designed for about 12 for long duration off the grid total independence.

A big APU. Huge stainless steel Propane underground tanks holding 10 years worth of energy. Perhaps a remote location. If one were rich and crazy, think of all the fun one could have building such. Sounds good to me.

Not so crazy.
A few enterprising groups have made hotels/condos/lodges with at least 4 containers to as many as 70

1-14121F91053b4.jpg _95165955_p04wzrbj.jpg c0f38ceb173ca352c0379ce2cec766fd--container-hotel-container-design.jpg snoozebox-modular-system-interior-468x312.jpg 1-14121F9111O52.JPG

If I were that wealthy I would build a mostly underground house with steel reinforced concrete, with multiple tunnels (also with concrete walls and ceilings) for escape routes. I would not be messing around with storage containers, especially not putting them underground, which is not at all recommended as they are not built for that and will not be safe for that unless reinforced significantly.

These are almost identical to what I lived in on our FOBs in Afghanistan and Iraq. We had AC, lights, power, and bunk beds. There were toilets and showers which were in another pair of converted "cans" at the end of each row. We got used to them pretty quick and it wasn't too bad living. Much better than being in some of the patrol bases I was at.

b1176287dc0513be4b9b457118dd81e8.jpg

Last Edited:
Not sure if or when I'll be able to move back out to the boonies but I have put some serious thought into the advantages of using 40' containers to build my house out of.

I also like the idea of geo domes.

I'm years away from those even being slightly an idea though.

For now I have a once used 20' that is in very good condition inside and out.

I've actually been doing some doodles with an eye toward building a home out of 40' Conexes... the twist is I want each piece to still be a freightable container so that if I relocate, moving is just button up each container, move essentials and valuables to car, and roll--rent an apartment near the new parcel while waiting for the Giant Legos to be re-stacked and re-racked, then once all settled reopen the connections between containers, hook up the utilities and be like you never even moved at all. :)

Swim. Swim. I forgot the indoor pool made of a can deep inside the big can house. A flooded shipping container. Also a good emergency water storage consideration. The chlorine can be filtered out. Also the other pool stuff. :)

If I had land and 40' containers I'd be tempted to create an 80' square with door openings into the center and having a nice green space/garden.

Go all Asian with it;).

My dad worked for a company that put 2 - 40', 20' away from each other and put a roof over them for a garage in the middle and lockable storage in the containers.

You are doomed; this is what my ex-wife exists on - if she sees those you will never get rid of her and that is something I would never wish on anybody. :(
The funniest thing is if you ever go to a party, even a fancy one, and you bring some cheesy pufs, people forsake all other delectables and gorge themselves on the cheezy puffs.

upload_2017-9-11_8-24-1.jpeg

My brother works for our overseas division. He has lived months at a time in shipping containers turned into 2-man dorms. Restroom, little cooking area, beds. He said they're not that bad, and that's living in them for months on an air base in Afghanistan. Says he's stayed in worse conditions. I would think, properly equipped, it would be very passable as temporary shelter after a quake, etc. Just make sure no big trees may come down on it.

Last Edited:
As for the Cheeto's, I would stack two containers on top of one another, fill the top with Cheeto's puffs and have a dispenser tube through the roof of the lower unit ;):p:D

"Can I have some more Cheeto's?"
"Sure! Go suck the tube!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews