JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new at shooting, if your training I was told to stand at almost a 90 degree stance. You see alot of shooters that stand with their feet side by side, which also makes you a bigger target! But I've also been told at a 90 degree stance if your wearing armor it leaves an open spot by your armpit for a heart shot, where as a forward stance your heart is more protected by the armor,I'm wanting to get some opinions on the best way to stand while training? Thanks

There are several methods and all have their place and name. Also are you shooting rifle or pistol? Google search "shooting stance".

What works for me and I show people is this. Stand naturally with your feet slightly spread. You will notice that your feet kinda "V". Turn your body so your left foot (assuming you are right handed) is pointing toward the target. Then step slightly back with your right foot so you have nice comfortable stance.

The pic has a bit of illusion to the angle but you get the idea,
DSC04954.jpg

I stand feet appx shoulder width apart with my weak foot forward. I personally lean forward a bit and really drive the gun forward with the sights aligned with my dominant eye. I was taught to practice my stance sans gun and both fists together. Standing as such if someone pushes towards me on my fists simulating recoil, I don't move pretty much at all. I pretty much don't move when my pistol recoils because of this type of stance. As far as arms- that depends on the style you are using (isoceles, Chapman, Weaver). I definitely stand square to the target so I can easily move laterally if need be, and be stable enough to reduce the risk of stumbling while still maintaining a sight picture on the target. That's just me tho

My suggestions:

Start with facing your target, feet to shoulders "squared up." Now take a step with your support side foot towards the target like your going to go walk up to it. This step can be anywhere from a half to full step.

Keeping your feet, knees, hips and shoulders facing your target. Your chin should be in front of your belt buckle with a slight forward bend at the waist. You should feel your weight on the balls of your feet almost to the point of your heels coming off the ground.

Keep your head up and erect, both arms extended equally and fully. (They don't have to be locked out but don't allow one elbow to bend more than the other).

This stance will work for pistols, shotguns, rifles but just changing your hand placement on the weapon system you're using.

This stance will give you a lot of rotational movement while still keeping a good platform and is easy to advance into movement and shooting.

Use your fighting stance...which generally one foot slightly ahead of the other and square your body up to your target...this is pretty much what will happen if you happen to get into anything, so let your body do what it does naturally.

This question is a lot like the baseball swing, about which Ted Williams said nobody should 'monkey with' yours :)

My stance is just a little bit different for every gun I own, because unlike a set of golf clubs, there isn't too much you can do to fit a pistol/long gun. It's not like a set of golf clubs.

For pistols, just focus on the front sight post. Don't worry about lining it up perfect with the rear notch; it's not a rifle. You'll start to see how & where your groups come together on the paper and you'll make adjustments. Stand relaxed however feels natural for you. The biggest thing is your trigger pull. A nice smooth & firm pull that won't jerk the gun is best.

It's going to be different for everyone.

I thought the Weaver stance would work better for me, but my rounds drift left (from over sighting with weak arm out, strong eye opposite), when doing this. Though uncomfortable, a square stance is more accurate for me. It's a combination of sighting, stance, grip, eye-dominance, etc.

But for martial arts, yeah, presenting a 45° target is best.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top