JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SPRINGFIELD — An early morning argument over a noisy party escalated into a shooting Sunday, leaving two teenage boys with bullet wounds.

No charges have been filed in the incident, which took place about 2 a.m. at a house in the 2300 block of Sixth Street. The case will be referred to the Lane County District Attorney’s office for a decision on whether to make any arrests.

Each boy sustained a single gunshot wound to a leg. Both were treated at a hospital and then released.

According to a Springfield Police Department report, the dispute began when a group of about 15 teenagers were having what was described as a loud party, with some of the youths gathering outside the house. A neighbor who lives across the street reportedly came out of his house and yelled at the teens to quiet down, police said.

Detective Sgt. David Lewis said that at that point some of the teens came across the street to confront the neighbor, who was in his driveway.

Lewis said nearly all of the teens at the party had been drinking and no adults were home at the time.

A fight ensued and the neighbor pulled out a gun he was carrying and fired three shots, hitting the two teens once each, Lewis said. The neighbor sustained injuries consistent with having been assaulted, and he was carrying the handgun legally, Lewis said.

The neighbor remained at the scene until police and medics arrived.

He was taken to the police station and interviewed, and then released.

Lewis said 10 juveniles from the party were issued citations for being minors in possession of alcohol, although the two shooting victims were not cited.

from what i have been reading, one of the boys parents is already planning a civil suit against the old man.$$$$$$$$$$$,since the D.A. does not find grounds for prosecuting the old man, ( i think one of the boys shot was actually a girl who was intervening in the fight.)

punk kids

gran-torino-clint-eastwood.jpg

SPRINGFIELD — An early morning argument over a noisy party escalated into a shooting Sunday, leaving two teenage boys with bullet wounds.

No charges have been filed in the incident, which took place about 2 a.m. at a house in the 2300 block of Sixth Street. The case will be referred to the Lane County District Attorney's office for a decision on whether to make any arrests.

Each boy sustained a single gunshot wound to a leg. Both were treated at a hospital and then released.

According to a Springfield Police Department report, the dispute began when a group of about 15 teenagers were having what was described as a loud party, with some of the youths gathering outside the house. A neighbor who lives across the street reportedly came out of his house and yelled at the teens to quiet down, police said.

Detective Sgt. David Lewis said that at that point some of the teens came across the street to confront the neighbor, who was in his driveway.

Lewis said nearly all of the teens at the party had been drinking and no adults were home at the time.

A fight ensued and the neighbor pulled out a gun he was carrying and fired three shots, hitting the two teens once each, Lewis said. The neighbor sustained injuries consistent with having been assaulted, and he was carrying the handgun legally, Lewis said.

The neighbor remained at the scene until police and medics arrived.

He was taken to the police station and interviewed, and then released.

Lewis said 10 juveniles from the party were issued citations for being minors in possession of alcohol, although the two shooting victims were not cited.

I rarely say, call the cops...but this is one case where that is what should have originally happened. If you tell them there is a house full of teens drinking, I would think they would come. However, if you are being asaulted by a group of people, even if they are teens, you do have the right to defend yourself.

Second thing about calling 911...it's all on tape...a very good thing when questions are asked.

"the two shooting victims were not cited"

The two shooting victims probably needed to be cited in addition to being shot. I doubt they were innocent bystanders.

is it wrong for me to relate on a personal level, to the character that clint eastwood plays in grand torino?

from what i have been reading, one of the boys parents is already planning a civil suit against the old man.$$$$$$$$$$$,since the D.A. does not find grounds for prosecuting the old man, ( i think one of the boys shot was actually a girl who was intervening in the fight.)

Maybe the parents should have been more aware of what their child was doing and the consequences?

not knowing what happened for sure i can only comment that in most cases where you begin a confrontation and it escallites into the use of force even though you may be defending yourself you run the risk of being wrong. If he was just passing by and did not start an argument with the teens and they attacked him he is entirely in the right.

from what i have been reading, one of boys parents is already planning a civil suit against the old man.$$$$$$$$$$$,since the D.A. does not find grounds for prosecuting the old man, ( i think one of the boys shot was actually a girl who was intervening in the fight.)

isn't it a premise of the common law that if you are a bad actor, you can't sue for damages?

Well it was a party.As long as they weren't out in the streets smashing cars.WTF,huh? I mean come on,a freekin party OH NO!

Now,as far as them being stupid enough to walk over to his house,that wasn't real bright.But they were drunk and fearless.

If you are going to yell at 10 kids from your drive,why not have a shotgun handy while your outside? Not pointing it at them,just kinda leaning on it,like you just got done cleaning it. (I always clean my guns at 2AM BTW)
Maybe they would have just stayed on their side of the road.
If you're gunna yell at drunks,they will probably come visit you.

But what's this gang mentality? We would send one guy to talk to the neighbors.Not let the whole party go smash the guy. Probably real lucky he had the gun. Could have been some curb stompin'
Then the suing parents would be saying 'My Bobby would never do that,he's a sweet,gentle boy...'

from what i have been reading, one of the boys parents is already planning a civil suit against the old man.$$$$$$$$$$$,since the D.A. does not find grounds for prosecuting the old man, ...

He should counter sue for assault with intent to commit bodily injury, assault and battery, unlawful trespass and anything else my attorney could think of.....

I think that would be worth about 1 Million for each turd who trespassed and either verbally or physically assaulted him, including those who caught a bullet!!

Kids got what they had coming to em. You mess with fire and your liable to get burnt. They played with fire and 2 got burnt. The parents of those kids that were there should be cited and or jailed. The homeowners where that loud party was at should be cited and jailed.

Everyone should know that you don't need a cwp to carry concealed on your own property. Reading between the lines I think the leos saying he was carrying leagally may not want to put that info out there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top