JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
not that you all have mist anything..... point....counter point....well taken..i did a tune up on a cust car...newer vet...back in the 90s.......on the test drive on a clover leaf...was at 90 mph...no tire squeal....it was freaky....car held the ground like glue....years before on another test drive...63 or 68 vet..it did have the split back window..on the console...it said.....427.....435 hp.....i could not make it around the block....4sp....the back end broke loose every time i let the clutch out..before montana had a speed limit..built up a 79 toy celeca supra ...i had all ready taken my foot out of it 100 or so yds before the cop hit me with the gun..he was reallllly pist off.....it was deer 30.......his gun said 140......that 5 dollar speeding tic.........worth every penny!!!!...and i have not even talked about out running..more like maneuvering.....a cop in my 72 pinto...yep....3 other guys in the car to prove it....i did know the neighborhood better then he..turned off the lights....went in between houses from one rd to another.....humm those new uniroyle tiger paws worked well..waaaaaa

Several times used to top 130mph on US 95 between Vegas and Fallon, NV in my '93 Impala SS. The SOLO radar detector would pick up CHP signals 3-4 miles out there in the desert. Lots of folks "flying low" there in Nevada. I see another post here commenting on UFO highway, also a NV speedway.

I've only had, I think, three speeding tickets in my 49 years of driving.I don't want tickets, nor do I want to die/crash my car. In 1977 we bought a new Plymouth Arrow GT...Ooooo
1588861649213.png

Not ours, ours was silver.

We were coming down out of The Uinta Mountains in Utah toward Evanston, Wy in our new 1977 "Arrowo GT", just after break in. On a long straight stretch I took it up to 110. Only for a few seconds. As soon as I let of I saw the Wy State Trooper come up over the rise. In my mirror I saw the smoke from his locked up tires after we passed each other. :oops:

Said he clocked me at 92 and 89. We had to follow the cop into Evanston. We sat in the courthouse and waited for the judge to come from home to SEE us. I don't remember what the ticket cost, but they were getting their money, keeping us or keeping the car. Lucky for us the bank across the street took our check.

I loved that car. I still think it's a real good looker.

On other time I felt I was going way too fast was 92mph on a Honda Gold Wing when I worked wrenching on them, in the mid '70s.

We need to ban high-velocity automobiles. Nobody needs to go over 70mph. :rolleyes:
This is the same mentality that the Libs use in their argument about banning magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I know how they think, I unfortunately lived in Kommiefornia for over 55 years.

I used to have a '01 Corvette Z06. Fastest I ever got it to was 140. That car would hit 120 in a heartbeat; after that you needed some room to stretch its legs. The fastest I ever went was 165, and that was on my built `05 Gsxr 1000. That bike was the most insane vehicle I've ever ridden. At idle in first it would be doing 25, made city driving a nightmare as you always had to feather the clutch. First gear would hit 95, second would get you almost to 120, and you still had 4 more to go!

IMG_20160604_133127.jpg

Got up to 90 on a triple-barrel snowmachine up in AK; had a good field ahead and *pretty sure* there were no creeks or low spots ahead, but as it's not a freeway I figured discretion and valor and all and backed it down. That's a hell of a rush...

Did anyone else already post on this? If so, I haven't seen it. Sunday, I think it was. On Highway 2 in Snohomish County, Wash. The Patrol clocked him at 192 mph in an 08 Corvette. We've seen a lot of speeders on the highways since the virus thing but this must be a record or if not, pretty close. 192 is more than three times the posted speed limit on Hwy. 2. Do I need to say if they get you for 192, you don't just get a ticket. He was taken to jail for reckless driving and DUI.

192 is pretty fast. Years ago, I had a 1957 Lincoln, once I had it up to 100 mph going downhill on I-15 and the windows were really wobbling. I had an 85 Ford Wash. State Patrol car with an injected engine, I got it up to around 100 on I-5 once. The speedo on that went up to 140 but I don't know that it would do it. I think I read someplace in tests they were really only good for 123 mph. My present Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis have speedos up to 120, they'd probably do it. They are very smooth and silent up to at least 90.

Before the virus thing I was going into town about once a week. Occasionally, I'd see some exotic car like a Lamborghini making noise and going pretty fast. You could actually hear those before you saw them; the loud exhaust noise feature is a "look at me, see what I've got" device.
Well I guess it all depends on your experience and the vehicle you are driving. I recently took my 2017 Audi S8 out on Interstate I-985 and took her up to 186. She had more, but I was coming up on a turn and its a 4,700 pound limo for all intents and purposes. Wasn't going to try a curve at those speeds. But she had 605 BHP STOCK, and I have put another 10K into upgrades, so she puts out about 760 BHP now. And trust me it takes no time at all to push high into triple digits. The car is solid as a rock at those speeds because she was designed to do just that. Speedo only goes to 200 MPH and she will do that and more if given the chance. Turbo Charging is a wonderful thing!
If there is no one around and you can see for miles, then I say go for it. It took us over 2,000 years to pave the planet, and I think that we should be allowed to have some fun with it!
Like the sign said in the original Mad Max film: Speed is just a question of Money. How fast can you afford to go?
Or as Jack Burton said in Big Trouble In Little China: "It's like I always told my ex-Wife, Honey I never drive faster than I can see!"

Stay Healthy and Stay Safe. But drive FAST!

JF
Buford Georgia

"And ninety five was the route you were on, it was not the speed limit sign."

might lead to a wild ending of your day.
Wild last few seconds of your life is more like it.
my '07 Mercedes E350
Great cars! Bought the ex an E320 Wagon. She hated it so I got to drive it. :)
Drove home to Salem from Vancouver one day, took the Markham bridge at 70 and thought the back end felt loose. Checked the tires once I got home, both were flat. That's what you get for driving into construction sites.
350 olds engine
350 Rocket! Buddy had a "Gutless" that he souped up the engine and put some 60's on the rear. Only car I've been in where you could do donuts on dry pavement.

My BMW 325ci would do 130+ indicated and was nice and steady at that speed. Only did it a few times between I-5 and Boeing in Everett because there is a nice straight stretch there with no place for LEOs to hide (I would do a couple of circles to make sure) and it was often light traffic. Euro cars and bikes have speed limiters now, but with a 186 HP NA inline six that was about all it could do - once you got to 130 it didn't accelerate much so never really had the space to find out if it had the limiter or not - those models were said to limit to 133 MPH - but the speedos are usually 5-10% optimistic.

My 2004 Ducati MTS would barely do 135 MPH - it was the tamest one liter Ducati out there at 86 HP, but it would get up to 100 MPH quickly, sounded nice and was fun to ride. When I got my Husaberg and relearned how much fun it is to ride off-road, I put the Ducati up for sale - I was afraid that I would either lose my license (and maybe windup in jail for going over 100 MPH) or I would come around a corner and hit a deer or a car (came close several times with the latter - people backing out of their driveways :mad:).

My X1 is an M-Sport model, with the higher speed limiter (155 MPH) and better suspension - other than that it is stock (~280 HP & 8 speed). easily does 100 MPH, but I rarely do that - only when passing and rarely then. You can set an alert for high speed - mine is set to 80 MPH. Per GPS, the speedo is about 10% optimistic.

There just is no place locally where I can do over 100 MPH safely (either from a safety POV or where I wouldn't get caught), so I don't do that. I like getting around in my car too much to risk losing my license or my freedom. So I don't try. As much as I like speed, it just isn't worth the risk.

As for speed enforcement, federal DOT did a study on speed on interstates. As long as the road is designed for a given speed, and as long as you are within 10% (plus or minus) of the average speed of surrounding traffic, and as long as you follow at a safe distance, speed is not a factor in causing accidents. Speed is a factor in how serious an accident can be (injuries, damage to vehicles, etc.), but not the cause. If you are going 10+% slower than the average speed, you are as likely to cause an accident as you are if you are going 10+% faster.

I was stationed in Germany for 3 years, destroyed a set of tires on my Mercedes 230.6 I ran the tire too fast (220kph) for too long and the belts started separating (T rated tires) When I arrived in Nellingen Kaserne I had to purchase 4 new tires on a E4 pay! I did learn my lesson as to not ruin another set of tires. I spent a lot of time in the right lane on the autobahn over there, I didn't pass much doing over 100mph most days, more likely I was passed.

Back in the day I would supercruise 100+ for hours back and forth between Phoenix and San Diego on the 8. I really only felt the acceleration and the deceleration. Once at speed it all feels the same through the flat featureless desert. I could be going 55, or 110, if I don't look at my speedometer I can't tell.

The only thing I ever worried about was my tires. Also, the strangest thing was getting out of the car afterwards and walking around, it felt like I was going to fall over. Like some type of vertigo effect.

I'm happy I survived my 20's and I don't do any of that stupid sh* anymore.

The fastest I ever went on a public highway was 161mph. This was a couple of years ago on I-90 floating bridges in my '14 Maserati Ghibli. Wanted to hit the top speed of 174 but chickened out. For me, getting up to that speed was no big deal. You don't feel it much. It's when you start to brake that's when you feel how fast you were going.

Last Edited:
Well I guess it all depends on your experience and the vehicle you are driving. I recently took my 2017 Audi S8 out on Interstate I-985 and took her up to 186. She had more, but I was coming up on a turn and its a 4,700 pound limo for all intents and purposes. Wasn't going to try a curve at those speeds. But she had 605 BHP STOCK, and I have put another 10K into upgrades, so she puts out about 760 BHP now. And trust me it takes no time at all to push high into triple digits. The car is solid as a rock at those speeds because she was designed to do just that. Speedo only goes to 200 MPH and she will do that and more if given the chance. Turbo Charging is a wonderful thing!
If there is no one around and you can see for miles, then I say go for it. It took us over 2,000 years to pave the planet, and I think that we should be allowed to have some fun with it!
Like the sign said in the original Mad Max film: Speed is just a question of Money. How fast can you afford to go?
Or as Jack Burton said in Big Trouble In Little China: "It's like I always told my ex-Wife, Honey I never drive faster than I can see!"

Stay Healthy and Stay Safe. But drive FAST!

JF
Buford Georgia

As long as your tires are rated for it, and they are relatively new, and you don't hit something that will cause a tire malfunction, and the rest of your car is in perfect condition, and some dog or deer doesn't jump out in front of you - then maybe that won't cause an accident.

On public roads? Really no excuse for going that fast - just too many things can happen and at that kind of speed you are traveling so fast that it is risky because of the distance covered in a short time. No way can you see so far ahead that you would notice that some truck dropped some nails or screws or something else that would blow out a tire at that speed. Most street tires are not rated for anything near that speed - usually much much less.

Want to go fast and you can afford it? There are tracks where the surfaces are inspected daily and everyone on the track is cognizant of the risks, and generally cars are inspected.

Had a dodge ram up to 110, drove like it was on rails. It still had more to go but I didnt trust the tires. Had a 76 VW Bug up to 85, was sure I was gonna die. Had a Geo Metro up to 90, again thought I was gonna die. If you wanna a thrill dont drive a nice car fast, drive a crappy slow one fast.

Back in the day I would supercruise 100+ for hours back and forth between Phoenix and San Diego on the 8. I really only felt the acceleration and the deceleration. Once at speed it all feels the same through the flat featureless desert. I could be going 55, or 110, if I don't look at my speedometer I can't tell.

The only thing I ever worried about was my tires. Also, the strangest thing was getting out of the car afterwards and walking around, it felt like I was going to fall over. Like some type of vertigo effect.

I'm happy I survived my 20's and I don't do any of that stupid sh* anymore.

Did 140 indicated on a road in Nevada - it was my parents Lexus driving from Las Vegas back to Oregon for them. Felt like a wallowing boat - made for luxury not those kinds of speeds. It was capable of more, but it felt dangerous at those speeds.

Slowed down for Pahrump - was doing 35 and got a ticket for exceeding the posted 25 MPH on the highway thru town - speed trap. Car would idle along at 35 MPH in top gear downhill if you didn't ride the brakes. Had a car full of guns that parents didn't ship in the trunk and in the back seat, covered by a blanket.

190 is fast, and there is a huge difference between 120/140 and 190mph. Getting to 120 in a modern car is child's play. I have a relatively fast car by todays standards (Dodge Charger SRT), and I've done it passing a semi on the freeway. Full throttle during a passing maneuver and you go from 65 to 120 without even thinking about it. Now, getting to 190 takes much more time and confidence. You know you are doing it as most production cars will start to get a bit "light" at that speed.

Finding a track where you can hit those speeds is very rare too. The back straight of PIR is 140 tops, and a 1/2 mile drag race is 150-160 for most street cars, so unless you are at Bonneville, on a bike or have a built car you are only going to be doing speeds above 150 on the street. Most tracks are just not long enough to get there and the track operators don't want you going that fast without training and additional insurance. Doing that on the street is stupid, but it is the only place in the NW you will be able to.

1588866050325.png

Last Edited:
When I was going to Submarine school in Groton Connecticut back in 1981 in the process of transferring to San Diego - I left Groton around noon and was in my own bed in St. Johns, Michigan by 5:30 AM. I remember going across Ontario between Buffalo New York and Port Huron Michigan doing over 120 miles an hour in a 1974 Delta 88 with a 455 in it wearing my salt and pepper navy uniform. It was amazing to me that I never got pulled over - especially being in my uniform. The las half of the trip from St. Johns Michigan to San Diego took about 2 1/2 days with my brother and I driving around the clock. My mother rode with us and she woke up one night while we had the car on cruise control doing over 70 through a construction zone. She was not happy.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top