JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Did anyone else already post on this? If so, I haven't seen it. Sunday, I think it was. On Highway 2 in Snohomish County, Wash. The Patrol clocked him at 192 mph in an 08 Corvette. We've seen a lot of speeders on the highways since the virus thing but this must be a record or if not, pretty close. 192 is more than three times the posted speed limit on Hwy. 2. Do I need to say if they get you for 192, you don't just get a ticket. He was taken to jail for reckless driving and DUI.

192 is pretty fast. Years ago, I had a 1957 Lincoln, once I had it up to 100 mph going downhill on I-15 and the windows were really wobbling. I had an 85 Ford Wash. State Patrol car with an injected engine, I got it up to around 100 on I-5 once. The speedo on that went up to 140 but I don't know that it would do it. I think I read someplace in tests they were really only good for 123 mph. My present Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis have speedos up to 120, they'd probably do it. They are very smooth and silent up to at least 90.

Before the virus thing I was going into town about once a week. Occasionally, I'd see some exotic car like a Lamborghini making noise and going pretty fast. You could actually hear those before you saw them; the loud exhaust noise feature is a "look at me, see what I've got" device.

192 is serious speed. That Corvette had to have some form of power adder - turbo, supercharger, NOS. That said, 100 is chump change - I think my Toyota minivan could do 100.

192 is serious speed. That Corvette had to have some form of power adder - turbo, supercharger, NOS. That said, 100 is chump change - I think my Toyota minivan could do 100.

Depending on what you have, yes. My 2016 Sienna can do it :s0108:

Dunno what the 08 vette would do if stock, but Chevy claims the current C8 corvette would do 194 stock, and the Z51 has a top recorded speed of 184.

I'm actually impressed that if the guy was indeed DUI, he held it together at that speed and didn't wind up scattered like the space shuttle Columbia. Must not have been that UI.

The standard '08 Vette ran a 6.2L V8 (LS3) while the top model got a 7.0L (LS7). The LS3 will take the car up to 190. Still, if the guy was the type to take advantage of the roads, he's probably also the type to completely tune the entire car if not add some power adder.

Years ago, I had a 1957 Lincoln, once I had it up to 100 mph going downhill on I-15 and the windows were really wobbling. I had an 85 Ford Wash. State Patrol car with an injected engine, I got it up to around 100 on I-5 once.

Only a true pacific northwestern-er would make the claim that 100 is fast.

...the loud exhaust noise feature is a "look at me, see what I've got" device.

No, it's really not. An engine is a contained explosion, not unlike the chamber in a gun. The difference is that an engine needs to run explosions back to back in a closed system. Get the oxygen in and get the exhaust out as efficiently as possible. Performance exhaust systems do just that - get the exhaust out quickly. This often means removing flow-restricting items like the muffler equivalent of a suppressor or, if racing on track, the catalytic converter. Removing all of these devices makes for a very loud car. It also makes for a very awesome exhaust system.

The fact that the noise turns heads is an added bonus for the guy driving a 6 figure car. But, no, the point of that exhaust system is speed - plain and simple. You do gotta love that sound though - the all American V8.

Calif Highway Patrol has seen a 50-75 % (min is 50%, some areas are hitting the 75%) increase in over 100 mph speeding violations through out the state over the same time period in 2019. These are not just on rural parts of I-5, US 101, etc. It's even in the Los Angeles metro area, Sacramento County etc. area

20 years ago I owned a 1000cc crotch rocket, basically a race bike detuned for the mass market. I don't know what that thing could do for top speed because I couldn't make myself pull the throttle any harder than 140 mph before I chickened out and that was only at 10,500 rpm's on a 14k tach... multiple times. just couldn't do it.

it's one thing to hit 190 on a track but to pull that off on a state highway is insane.
It wouldn't take mods on a new Vette to get it to that speed but It takes more than HP to do it relatively safely anywhere.

Calif Highway Patrol has seen a 50-75 % (min is 50%, some areas are hitting the 75%) increase in over 100 mph speeding violations through out the state over the same time period in 2019. These are not just on rural parts of I-5, US 101, etc. It's even in the Los Angeles metro area, Sacramento County etc. area
I drove down to cali for work recently and the typical speed is 80mph for all traffic. Got passed by a cop two days in a row and I'd say they're doing at least 90.

Doing over 100 is pretty exhilarating
The road from Shoshone Junction to Baker is about as deserted as it gets and it runs pretty straight through UFO abduction country. I caught that road, on a bright, clear day, freshly paved on my way home from Front Sight many years back in my 2010 Misubishi Endeavor . There is a long downhill grade heading toward Baker and by the time I hit the bottom of it I was doing 110-115 mph. I backed off when I saw my speedometer but then I looked around and there was only one car, about a mile ahead of me, so I said "What the heck?" and I stepped on it again. I had great visibility and a jam car ahead to warn me of CHP traps ahead. I crossed that desert valley like a rocket, with the car just humming along with no vibration or effort. Crossed 50+ miles in well under 30 minutes
And I never got close to the car that was ahead of me.:s0112:

I've done 145 in my '71 Stage 1 Buick GSX on SR 599 in Seattle. And that is with points and a Quadrajet. GVW was about 4600# Tops out about 165 because of current gearing. It rolled off the assembly line with the 200 mph speedo.

Last Edited:
20 years ago I owned a 1000cc crotch rocket, basically a race bike detuned for the mass market. I don't know what that thing could do for top speed because I couldn't make myself pull the throttle any harder than 140 mph before I chickened out and that was only at 10,500 rpm's on a 14k tach... multiple times. just couldn't do it.

Must be a magic number because I hit the same speed on a 1200cc Bandit and ran out of huevos. It was screaming at 140 and felt like it was on rails because of the gyroscopic forces. When you get off the throttle at that speed, it is like full braking from the drag. As I got down to 110, it seemed slow and I popped my helmet up over the faring, and just about ripped my head off.

While I keep hearing a few getting popped for reckless what I am seeing is the State is being told "we need money". I commute from one side of the county to another so spend a lot of freeway time. For a LONG time the State was doing a heavy commercial vehicle enforcement for some reason. I would regularly see commercial rigs on the side with State. Now last few weeks they stopped and are looking for cars. State always used to sit with lights on. I assume for safety. Now I see them in packs, blacked out. They are easy to see being told bring in some money. The hit the coffers are taking in no tax coming in is already scaring some.

Traffic enforcement has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with money.
To some extent yes. A lot of it is all about making money for the state. I know I do not want morons to just drive anyway they feel. I don't "like" some of the speed laws but, like gun laws I do not like I try to follow them. I figure the people who get popped for going 70 in the 55, well they can help keep the state in money. Kind of like lotto tickets. People can choose to spend money on it if they wish. People can choose to drive far enough over the limit to pay if they wish.

Traffic enforcement has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with money.

Here are the stats from traffic stops from one County in Oregon:

Patrol Traffic Citations

2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

Stops

Warnings

Citations

Percent of times a ticket was issued:

40% 33% 31% 26% 25% (give or take a half a percent or so)

That's just one local Metro Portland Sheriff's Office that does proactive patrol, based on their annual report. Looking at their more updated reports it looks like citation rates were holding around 36%. Hardly a money making scheme.

Here are the stats from traffic stops from one County in Oregon:

Patrol Traffic Citations

2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

Stops
32,419 27,350 36,248 38,396 35,262

Warnings
19,972 18,195 22,590 28,105 26,243

Citations
12,947 9,155 11,323 10,291 9,019

Percent of times a ticket was issued:

40% 33% 31% 26% 25% (give or take a half a percent or so)

That's just one local Metro Portland Sheriff's Office that does proactive patrol, based on their annual report. Looking at their more updated reports it looks like citation rates were holding around 36%. Hardly a money making scheme.
I have not been stopped in decades but know several who have. VERY often, assuming you were not in the range of reckless, the drivers mouth made the difference between a hey slow it down, and sign here. So many go through life now with a HUGE chip on their shoulder when it comes to Cops. Get pulled over and start in with attitude you all but insure you are going to be handed a ticket. Of course the ones who have the chip and big mouth then tell anyone who will listen it was all the Cops fault since they were out to get him. :s0140:

192 mph could be just a 60 second blast up through the gears and then back down. I have done that quite a few times but never got past 135 to 140 mph. There were a few times I held 130 mph plus or so for long periods like 3 to 5 miles on deserted long straight roads. Tons of time spent in the 80 to 90 mph range and tons of time going well above the speed limit turning and burning up and down through twistier back roads. I drove all manor of cars but the one I remember most was a 1969 dodge polara California CHP car that had a 440 magnum engine. Bought that for 250.00 when I was 17. It had torsion bar front suspension and could be lowered by turning a large adjustment bolt, so I lowered it as much as possible then made lowering blocks for the rear. Put on huge stock car special tires, 14" wide rear and 12" wide fronts bought on chrome race style rims from a guy who raced stock cars. Used a jigsaw to cut out the fenders then banged out small fender flares like a nascar racer. It was a street version of a dodge NASCAR.

I was kinda lucky to survive owning that car. It had a 140 mph speedo and I had it over 100 probably every day I owned it. Used to make the run from Stockton ca to Sonora ca to visit my mom on the back roads. Man that was fun. Several sections where you could keep the pedal down for up to 5 miles of dead straight road. I could cruse at 135 - 140 mph. Owned that car for 10 months and towards the end, I did everything I could to blow that car up, I mean I beat it mercilessly and it just took it and kept going.

The 1969 dodge polara california CHP car was the single fastest law enforcement vehicle the highway patrol ever had back in those days. With the exception of some special vehicles used by certain departments, this car was king and could run down any USA muscle car and most exotic cars. I got pulled over once by a CHP just so he could get a better look at the car. He started telling me about how it was bad arse car, the best CHP car he ever drove etc. He was impressed at my street version of a NASCAR with rear tires sticking out of the fenders 4" per side and the fronts 2" per side with the car 3" off the ground. He was like boy, what the holy he... did you do to this car?? I said it is a street NASCAR, know what that is officer? It was like 1976 and he was driving some turd mobile with like 160 hp. I could have outran him in 2nd gear. He ended up giving me a ticket for loud exhaust noise. I had cut the muffs off and put 60 degree bends exiting just in front of the rear tires. Open exhost, it sounded great at 120 mph and 5000 rpm.

Yes I was bat sheit crazy when I was 17, remember there was every possible kind of muscle car roaming the streets and any one of them could be bought for 1000 bucks so my crazy arse nascar dodge was not too far out. It fit right in on main st street racing on Saturday night. It ate small block mustangs and camaros for dinner if I had a long enough run like 3/4 mile. They would get me off the line and I would steam by them just about the time I shifted out of 2nd around 100 mph, like a freight train. If I could find another one of those cars in running condition for any sort of reasonable price I would jump on it now.

Jay leno even did an interview with a ex CHP cop featuring old CHP cars and they included my car, the 69 dodge polara but in original cop car restored condition, not exactly like my NASCAR version.

I've been 135mph to 165mph many times in my life. Its needed sometimes to pump the heart up a little.
But there's a few things I won't do.
Drive a mini van, and get back on a crotch rocket. Never! I love motorcycles, but the crotch rocket well I had a bad crash years ago and that did me in on those death machines.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews