JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In Oregon Reckless Driving and Reckless Endangering are both class A misdemeanors. There's no specific speed set with Reckless Driving. Soooo, automatic license suspension, $1000 fine for going over 100 mph and the reckless charges.

Eluding is a felony in Oregon, so if they get caught (which they won't at 192 unless there's a plane up!) that's the biggest charge. Course you can't outrun motorolla.

145mph in my 67 chevelle street racer when I was a kid on hwy 213 between Silverton and Salem. Over 100mph on Salem streets like Capital and Summer. Over 100mph on Vancouver city streets while cruising. Over 120 in the Wifes 67 Mustang for almost 30 min running through Grass Valley in North East CA heading for Reno. That car had a 200 cu in 6cyl in it I built to get 26 mpg commuting. Over 100 for almost an hour on I5 middle of the night near Bakerfield with a 300Z beside me. That was in a 79 Dodge Omni Fastback with a Rabbit 4cyl in it. most times its not the vehicle that can't do the speed its the driver.

Here are the stats from traffic stops from one County in Oregon:

Patrol Traffic Citations

2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

Stops

Warnings

Citations

Percent of times a ticket was issued:

40% 33% 31% 26% 25% (give or take a half a percent or so)

That's just one local Metro Portland Sheriff's Office that does proactive patrol, based on their annual report. Looking at their more updated reports it looks like citation rates were holding around 36%. Hardly a money making scheme.

Your numbers are great, Air Wolf. But the OP has a valid point, albeit very exaggerated.
PPD patrol division does not generally give traffic infraction tickets. However, they are required to log stops, and POC resolution. 9 times out of ten that involves a documented warning.
However, PPD's traffic division was created with a funding deficit. That division was presented to council on the basis of a self sustaining independent division through the payment of citations it issues.
Make no mistake, you will not receive a warning if you are stoped be a unit of PPD's traffic division.

Twice I passed cops in CA doing 120 plus and nothing happend. Once in San Jose on my Suzuki 900. I had got into a ho-hum drone and just not paying attention. Cop blacked out under a bridge. Zoomed right by. The other also in CA in a rental car. Not used to it. Grand Prix super charged. I didn't know it. Felt like 50 mph. Hwy patrol had Camaros. Never seen police using those until I passed it. Didn't even look up.

Hell my slightly modified Z71 Silverado will run over 125, exhilarating yes but it helps blow the carbon out of my engine. I only do it on the interstate when there is very little traffic, everything moves very fast so be careful and enjoy the rush for a few minutes. Remember most cars and trucks do not have Z rated tires

Less cars on the road = more opportunity to open up and see what your baby can do.
Buddy and I used to race up Clackamas River to Idanha then back off once we hit the Swiss Village on Highway 22. 130 was the fastest my Suzuki could do, he'd pass me without a sweat.
We were "those guys", begging to be blood spots on the road.
{eta}, above 120, laying on the tank with no real faring, that SV was squirreley. HIs Triumph Daytona was way, way faster and a heckuva lot more stable.

Last Edited:
'06 gto, when I first got it I pulled up onto the freeway onramp, by the time I got onto the actual freeway I was wondering why everyone was going so damn slow. Then I glanced down, I was doing 100mph,damn! Helluva car, sadly it went away in 2009 for financial reasons. Fastest I ever got it was 120, CHP would have locked me up for that, there is such a thing as felony speeding in CA.

Oregon is known throughout the land of the slowest drivers in the history of mankind.
But the older I've gotten I really just drive the limit now.
Heck 80mph is the freeway speed here. I do 70.

Some time back I was driving I-205 southbound on a pretty empty highway in my '07 Mercedes E350 and these two dipsheits in a lowered Honda "fart car" were riding my rear bumper.

Pi$$ed me off so I floored it and enjoyed watching them try to keep up, but rapidly shrink and all but disappear in the rear view mirror... then I looked down at my speedo... 134mph.

I about crapped thinking, "nice one dickhead, if you get popped by a Trooper for over x2 the speed limit it's a mandatory trip to jail"

Shrinking the balls of a couple "young bulls" was fun for the moment though. :D

I also hit 120mph on a Kawasaki KZ1000 mid-span of the Ross Island bridge... very early one Saturday morning. Hitting the arch-apex of the mid-span, both tires got "really light"... made me leak two drops of pee, and I never repeated a stunt like that. I was in my early 20's (I'm in my mid 50's now) and home on leave from the Army, and yes... that was dumb. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
That's pretty quick!
My modified 03 WRX would hit the 140 mark and still want more. That was down I-5 in about 2006ish. The Prius loves it about 90, just glides but to add another 100mph... on a public road is CRAZY.

I had a 1971 firebird that had a 350 olds engine that came out of Jackson Michigans test grounds for General Motor. My dad worked for Oldsmobile for over 35 years and had some freinds over there. Don't know how my dad got it but supposedly it was blueprinted and built out for what that means. I only pegged that speedometer once and it scared the crap out of me when the tail of the car started to float. I was lucky and learned a lot that day - if your car isn't built for speed it can get dangerous quick. Eventually crashed that car going off base to get beer and movies. The car had Michigan cancer so it was just a bit before I would have lost it anyways. Old memories.

Did anyone else already post on this? If so, I haven't seen it. Sunday, I think it was. On Highway 2 in Snohomish County, Wash. The Patrol clocked him at 192 mph in an 08 Corvette. We've seen a lot of speeders on the highways since the virus thing but this must be a record or if not, pretty close. 192 is more than three times the posted speed limit on Hwy. 2. Do I need to say if they get you for 192, you don't just get a ticket. He was taken to jail for reckless driving and DUI.

192 is pretty fast. Years ago, I had a 1957 Lincoln, once I had it up to 100 mph going downhill on I-15 and the windows were really wobbling. I had an 85 Ford Wash. State Patrol car with an injected engine, I got it up to around 100 on I-5 once. The speedo on that went up to 140 but I don't know that it would do it. I think I read someplace in tests they were really only good for 123 mph. My present Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis have speedos up to 120, they'd probably do it. They are very smooth and silent up to at least 90.

Before the virus thing I was going into town about once a week. Occasionally, I'd see some exotic car like a Lamborghini making noise and going pretty fast. You could actually hear those before you saw them; the loud exhaust noise feature is a "look at me, see what I've got" device.

Now I can't get that song "Hot Rod Lincoln" out of my head. Thanks.

Heck, in these Covid days, especially in South Florida's ground-zero area for the virus, virtually NO ONE is getting pulled over. And I get it, why would an Officer want to risk infection over a traffic violation. But with rush hour now looking like Sunday morning with 10% of the cars as normal, I've found the average speed of ALL cars on I-595 through Ft Lauderdale is in the 80s-90s... like EVERYONE is flying!!! Granted, that's not the 190s, but the interstates here have become raceways lately.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top