JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mrs. Merkt's sister lives in Spokane. We drove over the Cascades from the Puget Sound area this past weekend to visit. Naturally enough, we took I-90 most of the way.

For many years, I've driven for fuel economy, not for breaking the land speed record. Especially now that fuel prices are very high. On this trip, we drove a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. I asked Mrs, Merkt if she wanted to take her Hyundai Elantra to save fuel. She said no, she preferred the additional comfort of the larger car. Which weighs 4,200 pounds and rides smoothly and quietly, has better seats and more leg room. It has a V-8 engine. I know the fuel economy sweet spot for this car, 62-64 miles per hour. On the open road, with negligible headwinds, the car will get 27-28 mph no problem when driven within this mileage window. I set the speed control and all I have to do is guide the steering, watch ahead, and occasionally look in the mirrors.

Mileage reading when I pulled back into my driveway from the return trip:
2022-05-21 (4).jpg

Okay, once we hit relatively flat ground east of the Cascades, I think I passed only one car going slower than 62 mph. Coming back west the next day, until I got to the mountains, I only passed one vehicle, and that was a Wide Load crane with many tires six feet tall. The speed limit east of the mountains is 70 for cars, 60 for trucks. But practically none observe these limits, and exceed them significantly. There are statistics that show an increase in traffic fatalities since the Covid thing started. Increased speed is attributed to this bump in deaths, in part.

Of course in the mountains, I got to pass many trucks that were laboring up grades. I take the car off the speed control on the trickier sections in the mountains in the interest of safety. On the steepest grades, my speed may drop below 62, I don't like to push it hard. I'm often in the truck lane in the mountains.

Of the many vehicles passing me well over 70 miles per hour, included were private vehicles towing trailers. Which in Wash. state are also limited to 60 mph. max. speed limit. There is a reason that speed limits are lower for trailers under tow. Tires on trailers often do not have the same speed rating as pax. vehicle tires. Trailers are often carrying loads, which stresses tires. Also, trailers can have higher centers of gravity. And wind shear issues. Another reason is emergency stopping distance is increased when towing a trailer. When something goes haywire towing a trailer, things come unglued in a hurry.

Does anybody remember the 55 mile per hour National Speed Limit? It was in force from early 1974 to about 1996. But in 1987, the Feds allowed states to authorize higher speed limits on rural interstate highways and some adopted those rules. This law was in place to conserve fuel. It was widely ignored but it was a revenue plus for jurisdictions writing citations for violations. It morphed into a highway safety issue.

When I moved to Wash. state in Jan 1987, the 55 mph. National Speed Limit was still in force. I poked along many miles at that speed in my old 1966 Ford Fairlane. Actually, this car had been driven for many years under the 55 limit, it was kind of broken in to that maximum speed. It felt more comfortable to drive at 55 than, say, 65. Anyway, there is a long, arrow-straight stretch of I-5 between Eugene and Albany, Oregon. When the 55 limit was still in effect, I noticed the OSP had easy pickings along that piece of road.

Making several trips back and fourth from Portland and Idaho I have developed a deep hate for people who go the speed limit in the left lane or won't move over for people wanting to pass. And it's not lazy people, it is self righteous butt heads trying to play traffic cop and purposely blocking the left lane.

If you want to drive the speed limit, or drive to conserve gas, stay in the right lane. If you are not passing anyone or won't move over, you have no business being in the left lane. It's not your right to block the left lane just because you feel like it.

I suppose what bugs me most are the people who go the speed limit or even under the limit that get upset when people pass them and try to speed up. I live on a rural back road, PSL is 55mph, often encounter Prius drivers going 45 and under. When you pass them, they forget they are in a Prius and try to speed up to block you but they are in a prius and fail, so now they road rage and go over the speed limit to ride your rear.

Last Edited:
Making several trips back and fourth from Portland and Idaho I have developed a deep hate for people who go the speed limit in the left lane or won't move over for people wanting to pass. And it's not lazy people, it is self righteous butt heads trying to play traffic cop and purposely blocking the left lane.

If you want to drive the speed limit, or drive to conserve gas, stay in the right lane. If you are not passing anyone or won't move over, you have no business being in the left lane. It's not your right to block the left lane just because you feel like it.
In Wash. state, it's against the law to get in the number one lane and stooge along, impeding traffic. On a highway with two lanes in the same direction (like much of I-90), the number one lane is the "passing lane," and the number two lane is the "driving lane."

Those "Guardians of the Road" who try to regulate traffic by blocking it are not only violating the law but they are just plain stupid. If a crash ensued that involved their actions, likely they would be just as culpable as active road ragers.

It doesn't matter to me personally if people want to drive over the speed limit, that's their circus and their monkey, so long as it doesn't involve me.

One of my pet peeves (and I have many there's a thread round here someplace...)
is people who drive fast on straight sections, as defined by significantly over speed limit,
and then slow, as in under posted limit, in the curves.
There is a difference between sweepers and twisties but this still applies.

If you are consistent and a few miles/hr over or under, then those who want can easily pass.

If you are coming to curves - maybe slow and pull over to let anyone right behind you go past ( assuming it's safe)

What's going to happen with SelfDriving cars?

The OP car is designed for the Interstate, I-90, - and I agree arriving rested is very nice.

--
Before Covid , right outside Munich, in a station wagon...

View attachment 1207294
You suck. We had a trip planned, reservations and all to Munich in May 2019. Had. Just got most of those deposits refunded this month.

Speed limits are irrelevant when the vehicle you're driving maxes out below them. I remember on I80 I couldn't meet the limit of 80 so I just fell in with the semis and felt embarrassed

In Wash. state, it's against the law to get in the number one lane and stooge along, impeding traffic. On a highway with two lanes in the same direction (like much of I-90), the number one lane is the "passing lane," and the number two lane is the "driving lane."

I don't actually KNOW about that (as I haven't researched the law here in WA).

Impeding is impeding.

Driving in the left lane is NOT giving someone the permission to exceed the posted speed limit. Then.....I doubt that traveling at the posted (or close to the posted) speed limit can be defined as "impeding".

BUT......
I was told the same thing while driving in OR (about driving in the extreme left lane). So well, I did do some research on the OR "speed limit law".

As I expected.......
There was NOTHING about permitting driving higher than the posted limit while in the left lane. However......I did NOTE that the speed limit is the speed limit for the roadway (as posted for travel in that direction).

So whatever.

AND, my challenge is........
IF you (or anyone else) finds a particular statute, allowing someone to go faster than the posted speed limit (while in the left lane), please enlighten me (and please also include the particular statute's number).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Many years ago, when the national 55 mph rule was in effect, my wife accused me of being the only one going 55 on a trip to Kent, WA. I did pass one vehicle, but he was broken down on the side of the road. Even the semi's were passing me. :s0112:

I use the speed controller on freeways as much as possible, and usually have it set for 5 mph over the posted limit. But it is the erratic driver that bugs me as much as those camped in the passing lane. It's probably a good thing I don't have a loudspeaker in my truck, as I'd be telling them to get off the phone and pick a speed, any speed.

I suppose what bugs me most are the people who go the speed limit or even under the limit that get upset when people pass them and try to speed up. I live on a rural back road, PSL is 55mph, often encounter Prius drivers going 45 and under. When you pass them, they forget they are in a Prius and try to speed up to block you but they are in a prius and fail, so now they road rage and go over the speed limit to ride your rear.
I love this topic. I drive at posted speed limits and in any lane that is convenient at the time. I do not block anyone on purpose in the left lane(s), and don't deeply care if your preference is to break the rules that people have established. I will not move over just because it is your preference, since my only two concerns are following the rules and doing what is best for me at the time. You're not the only selfish person on the road :)

I don't actually KNOW about that (as I haven't researched the law here in WA).

Impeding is impeding.

Driving in the left lane is NOT giving someone the permission to exceed the posted speed limit. Then.....I doubt that traveling at the posted (or close to the posted) speed limit can be defined as "impeding".

BUT......
I was told the same thing while driving in OR (about driving in the extreme left lane). So well, I did do some research on the OR "speed limit law".

As I expected.......
There was NOTHING about permitting driving higher than the posted limit while in the left lane. However......I did NOTE that the speed limit is the speed limit for the roadway (as posted for travel in that direction).

So whatever.

AND, my challenge is........
IF you (or anyone else) finds a particular statute, allowing someone to go faster than the posted speed limit (while in the left lane), please enlighten me (and please also include the particular statute's number).

Aloha, Mark

I dont suppose you have ever noticed the signs on the highway that say the left lane is for passing and slower cars need to move to the right?....

That is what the law used to say for a really long time. It makes no mention of speed as you clearly noted. And in my opinion if you're trying to say its a good idea to poke along in the left lane because "Im doing the speed limit or less". That is the self righteous mention that was made above.

There also used to be a statute that mentioned passing on the right being illegal.

Highways are designed to have the number one / far left lane to be used as a passing lane. Camping out in it and doing 10 under presents all kinds of safety issues for yourself and others. Its best you just stay off the roads.

I love this topic. I drive at posted speed limits and in any lane that is convenient at the time. I do not block anyone on purpose in the left lane(s), and don't deeply care if your preference is to break the rules that people have established. I will not move over just because it is your preference, since my only two concerns are following the rules and doing what is best for me at the time. You're not the only selfish person on the road :)

Have you ever noticed the big signs that are white with black lettering that are posted on highways that state the left lane is for passing and slower traffic needs to move to the right?....

Have you ever noticed that big signs that are white with black lettering that are posted on highways that state the left lane is for passing and slower traffic needs to move to the right?....
Yes, but their specific wording and legal effects very much depend on the jurisdiction. I know in Oregon there have been attempts to designate the left lanes for passing only, but to be honest I don't know if it ever passed. At the very least the signs we have here are sort of "slower vehicles move right", where "slower" is in relation to the speed limit and not an arbitrary number F1 racers picked for themselves.

I dont suppose you have ever noticed the signs on the highway that say the left lane is for passing and slower cars need to move to the right?....

That is what the law used to say for a really long time. It makes no mention of speed as you clearly noted. And in my opinion if you're trying to say its a good idea to poke along in the left lane because "Im doing the speed limit or less". That is the self righteous mention that was made above.

There also used to be a statute that mentioned passing on the right being illegal.

Highways are designed to have the number one / far left lane to be used as a passing lane. Camping out in it and doing 10 under presents all kinds of safety issues for yourself and others. Its best you just stay off the roads.
IF.....you decide to travel over the speed limit (no matter in which lane) you're subject to a possible speeding ticket. That's the bottom line.

Some cops will and some cops won't.

So then.....
UP TO YOU.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I would absolutely obey a sign like that, since like I said earlier, following rules is more important than my convenience at the time.

These signs are all over the highways of the PNW.
Lot of folks dont obey them and hide behind the self righteous "I'm doing the speed limit". The sign is speaking to those exact folks. The state recognizes the issue so much that they spend tax dollars to print and install those signs.

My understanding of what the left lane is for goes all the way back to drivers education in Washington state. 32 years ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top