JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some of you people need to get out more and either rent or drive some newer cars. Most modern cars with 400hp will hit a 100mph pretty quick and 120-130mph in a reasonable time frame. 192mph in a stock corvette would take a while to get there that is why I am guessing he had a KN and some exhaust, no just kidding. That vehicle was either built, supercharged or turbo charged with 800hp plus. Modern technology has made it what we once thought was impossible to do in a streetable vehicle that rides good, corners good, idles good and gets 20mpg.

1974 Delta 88 with a 455
Wow, that's good speed back then.
Dude, you bring back memories! You could get seasick in those Olds!
I used to say fuggit after chem class on a Friday (noon), jump in my VW in Ann Arbor, take the QEW (401) through Onatrio, pick up some Gennessee Cream Ale in Buffalo, roll the Thruway in NY State, hook a left at Rennsselear and walk into my cousins house in Hingham, Mass at 2am.
Saturday and Sunday on the Cape, then roll back in time for class Monday morning.

I used to have a '01 Corvette Z06. Fastest I ever got it to was 140. That car would hit 120 in a heartbeat; after that you needed some room to stretch its legs. The fastest I ever went was 165, and that was on my built `05 Gsxr 1000. That bike was the most insane vehicle I've ever ridden. At idle in first it would be doing 25, made city driving a nightmare as you always had to feather the clutch. First gear would hit 95, second would get you almost to 120, and you still had 4 more to go!

I drove Stingrays in High School... Delivered them from the Mr. T's (I think, not sure I remember correctly) lot in West Covina, to his lot in Long Beach. The 327s were pretty boss, but the 427s were the real deal!!!

Feathering the clutch was needed in first gear on my Sunbeam Tiger... It had a 4spd Muncie trans with a really long back end, the tires would screech often at a standing start and the thing would go 75mph in first gear... made getting on the freeway easy... first gear and then shift into 3rd or 4th and idle. I thought I had done a hair raising thing going 150mph on a section of freeway above Santa Barbara, but with all these posts I'm re-evaluating. I did have to back out slowly when the back end started floating tho... those cars were soooooo front heavy!!

I got enough speeding tickets that several times I came close to having my DL suspended. Max speed in my old MG 1100 wagon was 95mph and I got there driving back and forth to work in L.A. County quite a bit. Spent a lot of $$ in fines, but the largest fine was for doing 120mph in Kern County CA on a holiday weekend in my little VW fastback. Cost me about $300 in 1972 money. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last Edited:
If you drive rental cars often, and in the correct states you have the opportunity to REALLY try them out. Just about everything on the road will do what the speedo is rated for with the exception of a little thing called a governor. I can tell you from first hand that most are set for a speed lower than the tires are rated for. I am not a car guy, but here are a few I have tried out myself:

Ford Mustang---no idea of it was a 6 or 8 but the governor kicked in at 128mph.

Dodge Charger---governor kicked in at 132mph.

Dodge Magnum wagon---this one made it to a hair over !40-141mph. This one felt like it had a whole bunch more to go.

I also drove Camaro's multiple times, but for some reason I can't remember where the governor was set on them.

For those that have never felt a governor kick in----well lets just say it is sort of a shocking gut wrenching feeling. :eek:

I am pretty certain that all of these could have done much more if the governor was tuned right and they were wearing the higher rated tires. Now you know why most highway patrol cars can actually catch you. It just takes the better tires and proper tuned chip.

Just to be clear---none of my speed testing was done anywhere near a populated metropolitan area.o_O

Last Edited:
I used to work in downtown Seattle.

In my hurry to get home on the days I rode my Ducati, I would get onto a short on ramp onto I-5 (can't remember what street that was), hold the throttle open once I hit second gear (first to second would produce a wheelie with the throttle open) and hold the shifter up - when the rev-limiter was hit then it would power shift up into third and I would hit 100 MPH before I got onto the freeway. Then as I recall, I would hit the express lanes and zoom across them for a while until they merged back into regular traffic.

I could only do this if it was low traffic. It was fun and I lived, now I have more fun going 10 MPH on a trail then going 100 MPH in traffic.

Reading about all y'alls muscle cars that never got up past 130 almost brings me to tears. C'mon guys! Best I could do was modify a Saturn to get 'er to move. She had about ~3000k RPM left in 6th at 140 but I chickened out.

Now I've got a family and other monetary priorities. So, really, I've gotta live vicariously through all of your nice cars. Open 'em up and let them screaaaaaaam.

Reading about all y'alls muscle cars that never got up past 130 almost brings me to tears. C'mon guys! Best I could do was modify a Saturn to get 'er to move. She had about ~3000k RPM left in 6th at 140 but I chickened out.

Now I've got a family and other monetary priorities. So, really, I've gotta live vicariously through all of your nice cars. Open 'em up and let them screaaaaaaam.
I am past that point in my life, as well - I want my vehicles to reliably get me from point A to point B with out any issues. I must be getting old.

Remember guys, for a LONG time now, your indicated speed is going to be 5-10% below your actual speed. I have yet to drive a car that is 1970 or newer where the speed on the speedometer was the actual speed when compared to a GPS. Always 5-10% slower than actual speed.

At 140 MPH indicated, that means you are actually going 126 to 134 MPH, not 140 MPH.

Find a straight stretch of clear highway, turn your cruise control on set to 70-75 MPH and have the GPS on a phone turned on an google maps turned the directions enabled for some distant point. It will show you your actual speed if you let it run for several miles. My X1 indicates 70 MPH but it is actually going 64-65 MPH. At 80 MPH indicated, it is actually doing about 74 MPH.

Calif Highway Patrol has seen a 50-75 % (min is 50%, some areas are hitting the 75%) increase in over 100 mph speeding violations through out the state over the same time period in 2019. These are not just on rural parts of I-5, US 101, etc. It's even in the Los Angeles metro area, Sacramento County etc. area
Twenty-five years ago I had a 1995 Z-28, LT1 Camaro. The LT1 meant that it had the same engine as the previous year Corvette. I dropped off my wife at the Sacramento airport for a 2 am departing flight and headed back to Stockton, 60 miles away. I made the trip down I-5 in 25 minutes. Along the way a Dodge Challenger was pacing me for a few miles at 135 mph. About a mile before my exit I opened up the Camaro and left the Challenger in the rear view mirror. I got close to 150 mph but ran out of nerve. The car had more left to give.

Many years ago I was driving an 1985 Dodge Ramcharger (forest service auction edition) on a lonely road in Utah. It was dark, but I was doing the speed limit. At some point a pair of headlights appeared in the rearview. I looked again, yeah, they were catching up in a hurry. "OK, kid, let me wind up the V8."
The car just caught up with me when I decided to get off the gas and let him go. It was an old rig, and the speedo would start bouncing around 75mph.
Just as I got off the gas, the car that was screaming up to me turned on his red and blues.
I got busted.
We got a chuckle out of my side of the story, and he let me go.

"And ninety five was the route you were on, it was not the speed limit sign."

Wild last few seconds of your life is more like it.
Great cars! Bought the ex an E320 Wagon. She hated it so I got to drive it. :)
Drove home to Salem from Vancouver one day, took the Markham bridge at 70 and thought the back end felt loose. Checked the tires once I got home, both were flat. That's what you get for driving into construction sites.
350 Rocket! Buddy had a "Gutless" that he souped up the engine and put some 60's on the rear. Only car I've been in where you could do donuts on dry pavement.

The speedo goes to 160... I have ABSOLUTELY no doubt that it can hit that. :s0001:

"And ninety five was the route you were on, it was not the speed limit sign."

Wild last few seconds of your life is more like it.
Great cars! Bought the ex an E320 Wagon. She hated it so I got to drive it. :)
Drove home to Salem from Vancouver one day, took the Markham bridge at 70 and thought the back end felt loose. Checked the tires once I got home, both were flat. That's what you get for driving into construction sites.
350 Rocket! Buddy had a "Gutless" that he souped up the engine and put some 60's on the rear. Only car I've been in where you could do donuts on dry pavement.
It was Interstate 985, not 95! And I would have tried for Mach 1.3 but she just won't go that fast!

While I keep hearing a few getting popped for reckless what I am seeing is the State is being told "we need money". I commute from one side of the county to another so spend a lot of freeway time. For a LONG time the State was doing a heavy commercial vehicle enforcement for some reason. I would regularly see commercial rigs on the side with State. Now last few weeks they stopped and are looking for cars. State always used to sit with lights on. I assume for safety. Now I see them in packs, blacked out. They are easy to see being told bring in some money. The hit the coffers are taking in no tax coming in is already scaring some.
Agreed. It's the perfect cover up to say we need more enforcement

Many years ago I was driving an 1985 Dodge Ramcharger (forest service auction edition) on a lonely road in Utah. It was dark, but I was doing the speed limit. At some point a pair of headlights appeared in the rearview. I looked again, yeah, they were catching up in a hurry. "OK, kid, let me wind up the V8."
The car just caught up with me when I decided to get off the gas and let him go. It was an old rig, and the speedo would start bouncing around 75mph.
Just as I got off the gas, the car that was screaming up to me turned on his red and blues.
I got busted.
We got a chuckle out of my side of the story, and he let me go.

I used to be able to tell whether a car in the rearview mirror at night was a cop car by the headlights and running lights - usually. By the tail-lights too. That was mostly back in the days when I was a teenager and we might get busted for having alcohol, or when we were parking and making out.

Not so much anymore with all the different kinds of cop cars.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top