JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning a 13.7-13.9" midlength upper build for pin and weld. Anyone here have experience with SOLGW 13.7"? I plan on suppressing it with a K can. Another option is Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile 13.9". Shame that most of the best barrels are sold out like criterion, DD, geiselle etc. but I don't want to wait around of "notify me" emails.

Appreciate your 2cents.

Not cheap, but two left.. They also have shorty geissele's

And their own home brew barrels come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

13.7" & 13.9" are a little harder to find obviously. 14.5's are a lot more plentiful. Does anyone carry a FN CHF 13.x" barrel. I like my 18" er's

Me personally I've seen enough of nitride. It can be fine but it can also flake if done wrong. Chrome is great for a battle rifle if that's what your looking for.

Tons of options in stock though.

I have a 13.9 BA Hanson barrel in mine. If you go that route, a standard dead air flash hider will work to get you to 16" but it's cloooose. Ended up using the SOLGW NOX device anyway and I'm a hair shy of 16.25" now. I don't know what you think is lower quality about them, mine is a damn good barrel, especially for the sub $150 I paid at the time and with the NiB barrel extension and pinned gas block you're getting a deal.

Me personally I've seen enough of nitride. It can be fine but it can also flake if done wrong. Chrome is great for a battle rifle if that's what your looking for.
Nitride doesn't really flake. It becomes part of the metal. Chrome can flake from the surface it is applied to.

Sounds like the OP has no particular requirements for the barrel other than length, and that super duper accuracy is not a huge consideration. I guess I would think about which manufacturers I would trust to cut threads concentric to the bore for the sake of the suppressor. I would trust SOLGW more than BA for that.

Last Edited:
I've been thinking about going this route.
BRT 11.5" barrel.

P&W suppressor for a 16" OAL

More options available for a 14.5" barrel also as noted.

Sorry ya'll i left out some details in my opening post.

I have a BA Hanson 16" in my current build. I am happy with it, but for my next build i'd like to tier up to a more "battle" grade / hard use barrel I guess. Also concerned about it being gassed properly. Not that I wouldn't build another Hanson but a different brand of a higher quality would add a bit of novelty and satisfaction to it.

This would likely be my last build/firearm for a while so I want to make it count. If that makes sense.

Oh and as for accuracy, I would like it to be reasonably accurate. Around 1-1.5 MOA at 100 with decent ammo would be fine. Anything better would be gravy but not at the cost of barrel life.

The linked FN barrel is solid and a lightweight profile.
I finally get to shoot mine tomorrow.

Accurate, short package and with a suppressor in mind.

A BRT gas drive sized for suppressor use is the easy button on whatever barrel you choose to get the gas under control.

Sorry ya'll i left out some details in my opening post.

I have a BA Hanson 16" in my current build. I am happy with it, but for my next build i'd like to tier up to a more "battle" grade / hard use barrel I guess. Also concerned about it being gassed properly. Not that I wouldn't build another Hanson but a different brand of a higher quality would add a bit of novelty and satisfaction to it.

This would likely be my last build/firearm for a while so I want to make it count. If that makes sense.
If it's your last one you should just SBR it. Then you don't have to worry about the 16in barrel length requirement. Trust me if you haven't gone this route. SBRs are the way to go. 11.5in barrel + a suppressor and you're at/around your 16in barrel length. Just another work around.

In the AR world…

$$$$ ≠ more precise

$$$$ certainly doesn't mean longer barrel life either.

$$$$ does usually equal name or brand.

In the AR world…

$$$$ ≠ more precise

$$$$ certainly doesn't mean longer barrel life either.

$$$$ does usually equal name or brand.
Gotta have that Gucci brand though. It makes the rifle…….

Nitride doesn't really flake. It becomes part of the metal. Chrome can flake from the surface it is applied to.
It AND the base material will flake off since its not a "coating" nitride embritlement. Depending on the base material the more free carbon to convert in the process the deeper it penetrate. I have pictures of muzzle crowns from barrels I've never even shot or mounted that were just sitting in storage with major chipping in sharp corners like the sharp crown if its not chamfered or threads are a classic example. These barrels weren't chipped when I got them. The corners get differentially harder than the flat surfaces, logic would dictate they also get a lot hotter in the process. Maybe they are also stressed differentially in the process IDK just a guess. Ive had this happen on BCA barrels and Lone Wolf barrels (see a pattern there i.e. cheap brands) I have several others that are fine, but I don't really think it offers much for corrosion protection either.
Edit: also had this happen on two Bootleg adj. BCG's made from S7 so its many materials not just 4150CMV.

As far as the concentricity concern you could buy one of those bore rods to make sure its lined up, and really you SHOULD do that regardless. Its a cheap investment to protect your more expensive investment.
I think BA barrels are about as good as any other these days. Barrel manufacturing these days is a lot higher quality standards that they used to be. (Save BCA etc. ;))

If it's your last one you should just SBR it. Then you don't have to worry about the 16in barrel length requirement. Trust me if you haven't gone this route. SBRs are the way to go. 11.5in barrel + a suppressor and you're at/around your 16in barrel length. Just another work around.
Although I get your point, some are "morally" apposed to taxes. I would NEVER want to be beholding to tell the feds when and where I want to take my owned property out of state. Eff that.
Hopefully all that non sense changes soon in the courts though and we can all just config how ever god rightfully intended.
Shorties are bad bubblegum though.

Although I get your point, some are "morally" apposed to taxes. I would NEVER want to be beholding to tell the feds when and where I want to take my owned property out of state. Eff that.
Hopefully all that non sense changes soon in the courts though and we can all just config how ever god rightfully intended.
Shorties are bad bubblegum though.
That's fair. To each their own.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews