JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is the .22LR ideal for self defense...nope.

For me it's more the reliability of the cartridge itself , than anything else.
Its one thing to have a jam or a failure to feed , extract or eject while out on the range or plinking...
Its something else to have that happen when you actually need to shoot.

All that said...
A .22LR revolver or manual action rifle may cut down on the above listed issues....as well as stocking up on the ammo that does work in whatever .22 you have.
As well as not curling up and waiting to die , just 'cause all you have to defend yourself is a .22 firearm...and some dope on the internet says it don't work well for self defense..... :D
Andy

A suppressed 22LR for the SHTF apocalypse? Sure. Makes sense. Got to stay quiet when killing zombies so the other zombies can't hear and come running ... staggering? ... lurching? ... whatever.

Ahhhh .... Garand Thumb. My go to guy for all things holy about firearms facts. I mean ... who could doubt that little cherub face.

Cheers.

Got to love the 22. Loved by some. Hated by some. Still don't want to be shot by it!

For me it's more the reliability of the cartridge itself , than anything else.
Its one thing to have a jam or a failure to feed , extract or eject while out on the range or plinking...
Its something else to have that happen when you actually need to shoot.

I've probably shot over 5,000 Mini Mags in my lifetime with zero failures. They cost a little more, but they run great and have very consistent velocity.

I do understand - I have some Winchester "Match" in white boxes that fail close to 1 in 20. I use them for plinking.

I've probably shot over 5,000 Mini Mags in my lifetime with zero failures. They cost a little more, but they run great and have very consistent velocity.

I do understand - I have some Winchester "Match" in white boxes that fail close to 1 in 20. I use them for plinking.
Man can't stand that Winchester white box garbage. Filthy and unreliable.

Big Mini-Mag fan here too. i have tried about every kind of .22lr and as far as reliability I've had the best results with the Mini-Mag's. Around 3 months ago I found 3500 rounds of Miin-Mag's in the bottom of one of my safes I'd forgotten all about. They have to be at least 20 years old.

I know these are at least that old as the price on the 500 round bricks are $9.99. So far I've shot 1000 of them and not a single shell had a failure to fire. They cycle very well in all my auto pistol and rifles. I'll buy other brands when on sale but alway make sure I have a good stash of the Mini-Mags.

Now when I see them for $8 or less a hundred I'll usually get a few more. Just got a deal of $365 for 5k free shipping. Get them while I can.

From 22 to 500 S&W. Do not watch at the 7:28 mark if you are squeamish (back of the head shot). Hoooooly Mooooooooly (I would be surprised if this video doesn't get banned).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top