JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So even if you want to send a gun back to the manufacturer for repairs you will still have to do the background check and waiting period and get registered in some database?
If non Washington residents can't vote in Washington elections why are they allowed to pour millions of dollars into the initiative they want passed? Isn't that even more damaging than voting?

So even if you want to send a gun back to the manufacturer for repairs you will still have to do the background check and waiting period and get registered in some database?
If non Washington residents can't vote in Washington elections why are they allowed to pour millions of dollars into the initiative they want passed? Isn't that even more damaging than voting?

I believe that is covered in the exemptions

" A federally licensed gunsmith who receives a firearm solely
for the purposes of service or repair, or the return of the firearm to
its owner by the federally licensed gunsmith;"

As for the second statement, money buys elections because people watch terribly biased ads and have no sense of critical thinking to make their own decisions. The zombie apocalypse has already happened, the zombies can still vote though.

So, I have an old 1944 M44 for sale, as well as an Enfield right now. A guy e-mailed me today and wants to buy the M44. Is it even worth it? This measure hasn't kicked in yet, right? Not until Nov. 4th or something?

I just don't know. I told him to have a copy of his valid WA DL and be legal to own a firearm, but am I at risk here? What do you all think?

So, I have an old 1944 M44 for sale, as well as an Enfield right now. A guy e-mailed me today and wants to buy the M44. Is it even worth it? This measure hasn't kicked in yet, right? Not until Nov. 4th or something?

I just don't know. I told him to have a copy of his valid WA DL and be legal to own a firearm, but am I at risk here? What do you all think?

It has not yet been passed into law so you have a small window of time before it is. I'm not sure of the exact date but I know it isn't this week or anything as soon as that.

This part caught my eye:

(b) Once the system is established, a dealer shall use the state system and national instant criminal background check system, provided for by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (18 U.S.C. Sec. 921 et seq.), to make criminal background checks of applicants to purchase firearms. However, a chief of police or sheriff, or a designee of either, shall continue to check the department of social and health services' electronic database and with other agencies or resources as appropriate, to determine whether applicants are ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm.

So the state is setting up its own background check system. What type of access will they have that NICS doesn't?

Also, I594 basically makes it illegal for people under 21 but over 18 to buy a handgun in a private sale because it has to be transferred through an FFL, right?
I really hope this is challenged in the courts, there are far too many infringements on our rights.

Last Edited:
A rental will be a transfer under the new law. If the range has someone who can do the background checks and you have a CPL, then you can probably still rent a handgun. If you don't have a CPL, then you'd fall under the "need written permission from sheriff or chief of police" which is probably too much of a hassle for a range. It also isn't clear if a concealed license from another state would satisfy that.

I have an Oregon and a Utah CHL which is recognized by Washington. If needed I can get a Washington CPL. Just another unnecessary added expense.

A rental will be a transfer under the new law. If the range has someone who can do the background checks and you have a CPL, then you can probably still rent a handgun. If you don't have a CPL, then you'd fall under the "need written permission from sheriff or chief of police" which is probably too much of a hassle for a range. It also isn't clear if a concealed license from another state would satisfy that.

I don't think this is clear either. The CPL exempts you from the written approval from LEO, but you must still satisfy the section 4 requirement for either the 10 days (b) or the background check (a). The problem is that i-594 was not clear on the definition of "background check." Previously, a background check was equal to a NICS check. There is wording in i-594, though, that says every transfer needs a criminal check (NICS) and also a mental health check. So that could open up a whole new wait time.

It appears that rental guns are covered under the exemptions in Section 3:

"(4) This section does not apply to:...(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm ... (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located;..."

Since rental guns are "kept at all times" at the range, they would be covered. Lending a firearm to your buddy while at an established shooting range would not be covered since the firearm is not kept at the range at all times.

It appears that rental guns are covered under the exemptions in Section 3:

"(4) This section does not apply to:...(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm ... (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located;..."

Since rental guns are "kept at all times" at the range, they would be covered. Lending a firearm to your buddy while at an established shooting range would not be covered since the firearm is not kept at the range at all times.

You are correct -- I missed that -- but at the same time there is another gotcha. "shooting range authorized" There is no definition of such authorization in the initiative, so the licensing department will get to define it. That might mean "if you have a business license" but it could also end up meaning "if you pay a $10,000 annual fee." On the other hand, from the wording maybe local jurisdictions will get to decide. Yet another source of lawsuits.

What happens if your house mate keeps a gun or collection and has to go away like on a deployment or a temporary work assignment for a few of months?

House is in your name, no rent receipts as he pays cash. Maybe he doesn't even have his own room and sleeps on the fold out couch in the den. Now he's away. What if police falsely raid your house for let's say drugs. Are you breaking the law by having his guns in your house??

I woke up last night thinking of asinine complications of this asinine law and I don't even live in WA!:mad:
This law was made to keep honest people in fear of even being around guns and it's working! They want people to be afraid. Nosey neighbors will be ratting people out left and right soon! Witch hunts by SWAT teams for "ILLEGAL" guns will be next on the agenda.
Very Orwellian.

What happens if your house mate keeps a gun or collection and has to go away like on a deployment or a temporary work assignment for a few of months?

House is in your name, no rent receipts as he pays cash. Maybe he doesn't even have his own room and sleeps on the fold out couch in the den. Now he's away. What if police falsely raid your house for let's say drugs. Are you breaking the law by having his guns in your house??

I'd guess that you'd be in trouble. If you have control over them and he doesn't, they'll probably say they transferred when he left. Maybe if they're in a safe that you can't open that would be ok?

I hope some Washington politician that backed this law gets nabbed on a gun transfer violation.
That would once and for all prove that there is Karmic retribution.

This is a glaring example of how a group of elitist billionaires can buy elections and make law that fits their world view. I already knew Bloomberg was a pile of steaming bubblegum, but now know Gates, Hanauer, Ballmer and a few others add to the stink.

Far too many of the voting public are simpletons who react to clever marketing tactics and do not take the time to really understand the issue and the details. A crafty tag line, a catchy jingle or phrase, and their hooked. Until this changes, the big money elitists will have their way with us.

On many levels, we deserve this.

Finally the Seattle press admits that I-594 is 'gun control'

After 18 months of reporting and editorializing, and not until the day after the election, did the headlines acknowledge today what gun rights activists have been saying so long about Initiative 594: It's a gun control measure, as affirmed by the Seattle Times and Seattle P-I.com.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR