JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder what happens when background checks don't prevent the next tragedy, as they have repeatedly proven to be useless in the past.
Just like every other failed initiative waged by the left - there will be a new attack on another freedom that they will deem uneccesary.

I kind of treat Washington like I do Canada anymore. I used to shop a lot on Vancouver and Woodland (lamiglas) and even to longview, but for the last 20 years we refrained from spending any money there for anything. We have a far more stringent CHL check system and they won't honer it. I don't condeone OR not accepting WA CH either, but I live here.... Sometimes sad to say. The petty poitical games between the states is similar to 2 kindergarten kids.
With the extreme leftist that have moved in up there. I just won't give them a dime to use in their leftie schemes. Bad enough we have to give the azzes access to our taxes here. One state of fools is enough.
At least here I can vote against the btards.
To watch what goes on up there is little more than a BP raiser.
This year I have had my fill of High Blood Pressure. In more ways than one.

Just to clarify; Washington recognizes any permit from any state which will recognize Washington permits. The problem is Oregon's refusal to recognize ANY OTHER STATE!!

As a Washington resident, I just want to say that I will not follow this law. I will continue to buy and sell firearms privately without going through an FFL. If you are a Washington resident and have any balls, you will do the same. The only reason why laws like this succeed is because mindless people follow them. Do not comply.

As a Washington resident, I just want to say that I will not follow this law. I will continue to buy and sell firearms privately without going through an FFL. If you are a Washington resident and have any balls, you will do the same. The only reason why laws like this succeed is because mindless people follow them. Do not comply.

I'm pretty sure that anyone who bought their gun privately without a background check, even BEFORE I-594 took effect, who uses it for lawful self-defense will be painted as a criminal going forward. In addition, you never know when a firearm went back to a dealer before someone decided to illegally sell or transfer it, in violation of I-594. This means that the very firearm you purchase, even though its 20 years old, may be recorded as being sold AFTER I-594 at the DOL. This would paint you as a law-violator in court, even you were legally acting in self defense.

Personally, I have always purchased all of my firearms at a FFL dealer for this reason, to have a paper trail and background check for every purchase. Also, when I no longer want a particular firearm I trade them in to FFL dealers (gun stores), even at a significant loss. I personally feel better about operating in this manner and consider it the right thing to do.

It has been my choice to operate in this manner, and the thing that upsets me is that I-594 now removes a person's choice in how they sell or loan their own property. It also leaves so many things undefined, and adds so many pages of text that I fear a lot of would-be law abiding citizens will, on a daily basis, unknowingly violate the law and pay the price.

Hopefully I-594 will be challenged and shredded. With 49.5% of the vote still uncounted, I am still hoping I-591 will pull ahead to provide some additional support for the legal defeat of I-594...

So are FFL's required to assist buyers and sellers complete these new background checks or can FFL's choose to opt out? Is there a set amount that they can charge for their time and trouble or is it "sky's the limit?"

Dammit, I moved away from California to get away from crap like this.

So are FFL's required to assist buyers and sellers complete these new background checks or can FFL's choose to opt out? Is there a set amount that they can charge for their time and trouble or is it "sky's the limit?"

I-594 does not declare a maximum transfer fee (Colorado restricted transfers to $10). There is no requirement to assist with a transfer as far as I am aware.

Discount Gun Sales charges $75.00 for a transfer, I'm sure they'll up it to $100 now that we have no choice (not that I've ever actually done business with them.)

Why would you worry about it? Just keep buying and selling privately.

Here's a prediction for y'all.
Washington will have one less resident in 2015.
I'll live nowhere that will make me a felon with the stroke of a pen.
I won't be able to continue to legally teach NRA certified courses or Washington State Hunter's Education, shoot at the range with my wife (or anyone else that does not have firearms in their name) or of course easily perform 'transactions' without incurring fees and taxes. Hmmm, taxes. Go figure.
Tennessee is looking awful good.

Why would you worry about it? Just keep buying and selling privately.

I'd be willing to buy and sell from someone that I already knew, however all but two of my gun purchases were made from people I hadn't met prior to the sale. What are the odds that the next time I want to buy an old shotgun or rifle and we close the deal with a handshake and evidence that both of us can pass a background check... that the seller is a cop?

I like having a CPL and I like being able to carry concealed, knowing that if I cross a white line a little early or go a little faster than I should and get pulled over, that I'm not going to get in trouble for the loaded gun. I really don't want to put that at risk.

Living near Seattle for the software jobs also means that I'm in/around the police departments that might be interested in setting up a sting to make an example of terrible gun show loophole criminals (despite the fact that I showed my CPL to every seller and required a CPL from buyers).

I dont think I can get out of here in 2015, But I wont be here long. Its clear when not a single person I voted for was elected that I am in the wrong political climate.

So we have to get confirmation from the police chief or sheriff that we're eligible to possess a pistol? Though this looks like a way to stick a 5-day waiting period into handgun purchases without telling anyone that that's what they're doing. Can't imagine any police department or sheriff being willing to come up with the money and time to fulfill that obligation.

I knew this was a stinker before finding out details like this, but this is a really terrible law.

So we have to get confirmation from the police chief or sheriff that we're eligible to possess a pistol? Though this looks like a way to stick a 5-day waiting period into handgun purchases without telling anyone that that's what they're doing. Can't imagine any police department or sheriff being willing to come up with the money and time to fulfill that obligation.

I knew this was a stinker before finding out details like this, but this is a really terrible law.

If I recall correctly, the new waiting period is now ten (10) days. Yes, it is a terrible law.

Wait a minute, what if you have a CPL? Is there now a 5 day wait for handguns? If so, is it just for private sales or all purchases/transfers?

I predict some brisk sales in the next 90 days. :)

Actually it can now be 10 days. Ten. Or 5, depending on what section you are reading. It actually says both. 10 for all guns and 5 for pistols.

Probably not less than 10, because the mental records are not accessible under present HIPPA law and a mental records check is mandatory. Impossible? It looks that way to me right now.

Maybe it'll come down to the interpretation of Section 4 (1).

The police will have 1o days to respond, in running the BG check they can't perform because there is no law allowing access to the mental records.

And no pistol sales to anyone without a CPL.

Highly suggest all gun owners read the initiative, all 18 pages. Here's the link.
http://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/FinalText_483.pdf

"
(25) "Transfer" means the intended delivery of a firearm to another person without consideration of payment or promise of payment including, but not limited to, gifts and loans.

NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW to read as follows:

(1) All firearm sales or transfers, in whole or part in this state including without limitation a sale or transfer where either the purchaser or seller or transferee or transferor is in Washington, shall be subject to background checks unless specifically exempted by state or federal law. The background check requirement applies to all sales or transfers including, but not limited to, sales and transfers through a licensed dealer, at gun shows, online, and between unlicensed persons.

NEW SECTION. Sec. 4. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW to read as follows:
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the earlier of:
(1) The results of all required background checks are known and the purchaser or transferee is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal or state law; or
(2) Ten business days have elapsed from the date the licensed dealer requested the background check. However, for sales and transfers of pistols if the purchaser or transferee does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, then the time period in this subsection shall be extended from ten business days to sixty days.

Sec. 5. RCW 9.41.090 and 1996 c 295 s 8 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) In addition to the other requirements of this chapter, no dealer may deliver a pistol to the purchaser thereof until:

(a) The purchaser produces a valid concealed pistol license and the dealer has recorded the purchaser's name, license number, and issuing agency, such record to be made in triplicate and processed as provided in subsection (5) of this section. For purposes of this subsection (1)(a), a "valid concealed pistol license" does not include a temporary emergency license, and does not include any license issued before July 1, 1996, unless the issuing agency conducted a records search for disqualifying crimes under RCW 9.41.070 at the time of issuance;

(b) The dealer is notified in writing by the chief of police or the sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the purchaser resides that the purchaser is eligible to possess a pistol under RCW 9.41.040 and that the application to purchase is approved by the chief of police or sheriff; or

(c) The requirements or time periods in section 4 of this act have been satisfied((Five business days, meaning days on which state offices are open, have elapsed from the time of receipt of the Code Rev/AI:eab 11 I-2745.1/13

application for the purchase thereof as provided herein by the chief of police or sheriff designated in subsection (5) of this section,
and, when delivered, the pistol shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded. However, if the purchaser does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the waiting period under this subsection (1)(c) shall be up to sixty days)).
(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, in determining whether the purchaser meets the requirements of RCW 9.41.040, the chief of police or sheriff, or the designee of either, shall check with the national crime information center, the Washington state patrol electronic database, the department of social and health services electronic database, and with other agencies or resources as appropriate, to determine whether the applicant is ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm.

etc.

Last Edited:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 4. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW to read as follows:
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer
may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the
earlier of:
(1) The results of all required background checks are known and
the purchaser or transferee is not prohibited from owning or
possessing a firearm under federal or state law; or
(2) Ten business days have elapsed from the date the licensed
dealer requested the background check. However, for sales and
transfers of pistols if the purchaser or transferee does not have a
valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification
card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous
consecutive ninety days, then the time period in this subsection shall
be extended from ten business days to sixty days.

Holy bubblegum. From my reading it appears to be due to the above section. What is now section 5 exempted those that had a CPL. I'm not sure I fully understand this, but it appears since section 4 is a new section, there is no more CPL exception because that is now in section 5 and both sections 4 & 5 must be met to transfer the pistol?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top