JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, it looks like I-594 is going to pass, mostly thanks to King County. ( I predict that most of eastern Washington will vote against this abortion).

So after it passes what will happen?

Not much.

A few selective examples will be made, almost exclusively in the Seattle area, of innocent law-abiding citizens trying to buy or sell guns without a BG check. A few training businesses will stop providing firearms to students because the "transfer" language of the law is so opaque.

Prices at "rent-a-gun" ranges will go up by $20-$30.

And not one, single criminal will ever see one day in jail due to this law.

I will still loan my .22 target pistol to my friend to teach his kid how to shoot. My buddies will still loan out their guns to friends for various target shooting or hunting outings. We will ignore the law because there's no way to prove a violation unless you are stupid enough to admit that you're in violation.

Because the law has no mechanism for its enforcement, which is what made this abortion of a ballot proposition so ludicrous on its face, you can bet that the next step, and it won't take long, will be a universal gun registry.

Count on all these things happening. Crime will not go down, murder will not go down, armed robbery will not go down. This is what our enemies already know. They don't care because they aren't interested in any of these things. They only want to make it harder for you to get a gun legally, which was what all this was about in the first place.

I agree with Alan Gottlieb that "Universal BG checks are inevitable" because only people who really understand the issue are opposed to it, and we are a small minority of voters.

Our only real hope in WA is that we can put a measure repealing the statute up for 2016 when we will get more support and have two years in which no results have been shown to make our case. Absent that a vain hope that I-591 also passes, which I think is less than likely.

Nevertheless, I think this is among the last gasps of the gun grabbers. As more people own and shoot guns, as the sport continues to grow with the prospect of a Hillary presidency spurring panicked gun-buyers, there is going to be less and less support for these measures popularly.

I'm trying to be a realist here. It sickens me that 594 will likely pass. But I take comfort in the fact that this law is 99% unenforceable and that the support for such measures is only likely to decline over time.

So keep on keeping on brothers and Sisters.
We aren't beaten by a long shot, regardless of one ballot measure. Sure, it's a setback. So was Plessy v Ferguson. That didn't stop civil rights activists from making their case and eventually the ruling was overturned.

Keep the faith. It's probably going to pass. That's a bad thing, but a lot less bad than the grabbers would like it to be.

Another thing that'll happen: It'll cost the state DOL about 1 million dollars over the next 5 years with an estimated cost to district and municipal courts another $50,000 per year, which I think is a laughably low estimate.

But that's OK because the state is just flush with extra money. :rolleyes:

No more "Date Night" at Sharps Shooting range in Spokane :(

When does this turd take effect? Jan 1, 2015?

Can my Washington relatives still drive down to Oregon to shoot my guns?

Pretty F'ed up that there is no lending exemption for CPL holders.

Here in Oregon a Ballot Measure cannot address more than one topic, is it the same in Washington. Since I594 restricts sales and lending, can our lobby get all or part of it thrown out?

No more "Date Night" at Sharps Shooting range in Spokane :(

When does this turd take effect? Jan 1, 2015?

Can my Washington relatives still drive down to Oregon to shoot my guns?

Pretty F'ed up that there is no lending exemption for CPL holders.

Here in Oregon a Ballot Measure cannot address more than one topic, is it the same in Washington. Since I594 restricts sales and lending, can our lobby get all or part of it thrown out?

Yes, that will be the next step if it passes

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

594 would take effect Dec 4th 2014, or one month after the vote.

Probably not since it address guns and they'll call that one subject.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

What poll are you believing? Some liberal TV station?

Show me a poll from ANY reputable polling organization that predicts 594 will fail.

I got (and returned) my ballot 4 days ago. the election is all but over for late voters only. If I'm wrong I will correct my post, but I don't think I WILL be wrong. Will you make the same promise? to come back to this post and eat crow because you believed the feed-back loop of the pro-gunners that was shown on results to be wildly inaccurate?

You remind me of Baghdad Bob or Karl Rove on the 2012 elections.

"This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end – which you can never afford to lose – with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be."

-Simon Black

Show me a poll from ANY reputable polling organization that predicts 594 will fail.

I got (and returned) my ballot 4 days ago. the election is all but over for late voters only. If I'm wrong I will correct my post, but I don't think I WILL be wrong. Will you make the same promise? to come back to this post and eat crow because you believed the feed-back loop of the pro-gunners that was shown on results to be wildly inaccurate?

You remind me of Baghdad Bob or Karl Rove on the 2012 elections.

Whatever, dude

The proof is in the pudding. But there's always this if our masters want to skew matters

Whatever, dude

The proof is in the pudding. But there's always this if our masters want to skew matters

So you post a video claiming voting machines (Which aren't used in WA) can be hacked, and that's supposed to be some kind of response?

So you have anything of substance to add to this or are you interested only in ideas which gibe 100% with yours?

And since you've gifted us all with your talk of "Talmudic Jihad," and ZOG (Zionist Occupied Government)

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/ebola-is-here.180256/page-20#post-1168987

All code-words for white, racist, anti-jewish hate, you expect me to take anything you say seriously?

I'm surprised that the members of this board even tolerate your presence. I, for one, will no longer respond to you, since you have made it clear that you're a part of the White-separatist maniacs that make our lives as gun owners harder than they need to be. No doubt you see Timothy Mcvey as some kind of martyr, rather than the murderous thug he actually was.

So ya, your opinion just became totally irrelevant to me and any right-thinking person.

Your previous posts make it clear that you're an anti-semite, a conspiracy theorist and a racist. In other words, you're a loon, not worthy of responding to further. But by all means pollute this thread with your nonsense. I just won't dignify it with a response.

Of course you're aware that I-676 (late 90s trigger lock/firearms licensing law) was polling high and expected to pass, all the way up to the day votes were counted, and it failed handily.

Repeat, I-676 was expected to pass, and it failed with a 70% NO vote.

Unfortunately, I think you are right about it passing now. But, maybe the anti-gun activists are right and we are all just blowing smoke here. I just can't see how they could prosecute a valid CPL holder who "transfers" a weapon to a friend, who also has a valid CPL, without a background check while shooting in the woods. It would be a media firestorm, since that is not the type common-sense gun reform I-594 is written to prevent.

I-594 is a step to a greater goal, As stated in the above video. the UBC is defacto registration which will aid in the ultimate goal which is first restricting "evil" guns and ultimately all guns. (because in their eyes they are all evil) They are playing the long game here and have made huge steps in convincing society that guns are bad and should not be in the hands of normal folks. Just look at all the places in the country with "common sense" (code for ineffective and ludicrous with the intent of vilifying law abiding gun owners) gun laws that have been passed in the last decade. I cant remember which state it is but there is a law that states that a magazine that holds more than 30 rounds IS a machine gun. Not that possessing it is the same has having, That a 30+ magazine on its own with nothing else is a machine gun. Hows that common sense for ya?

If "loaning" guns back and forth is made unlawful the most law-abiding approach would be for people to acquire more guns rather than try or borrow someone else's. That would greatly increase gun sales as well as the number of guns available for criminals to steal.

When it comes to sales, I'm probably going to comply. The NICB is pretty weak when it comes to keeping guns out of the hands of people that shouldn't have them, but it does work sometimes. No offense to present company, but I do sometimes wonder if the person I'm selling a gun to in a parking lot would be able to pass a BC or not. But man, there is no way in hell I'm going to stop loaning guns to friends I know to try out, take friends' guns to my house for fixing and other (gasp) unlicensed repair/upgrades, and hand a friend a gun to shoot up at a pit on DNR land. That's all legal now, and making it illegal is complete B.S.
I mean, seriously. My duplex neighbor of 10 years has a little Ruger MkII. He likes to shoot very occasionally. He doesn't have cleaning supplies. We go shooting, he lets me take the gun home (literally with one wall between our homes), and I'll keep it for a couple days and clean it, then give it back.
Without an FFL involved, post-594 means a misdemeanor for him, and a felony for me. So here's your gun, and F--- da police.

If "loaning" guns back and forth is made unlawful the most law-abiding approach would be for people to acquire more guns rather than try or borrow someone else's. That would greatly increase gun sales as well as the number of guns available for criminals to steal.
Spot on! These gun grabbers are so stupid sometimes! Even when they get their way, (like getting another stupid law passed) they lose in a sense. All this anti-gun rhetoric and anti-gun legislation has done is create a BIGGER demand for more guns! Things have slowed down a bit recently but from when Obama first got elected, and after Sandy Hook gun Sales have increased like crazy.
I-594 will help gun Sales and perhaps cause a few more shootings! Some of these new gun owners, prompted to quickly buy because of upcoming Laws have NO EXPERIENCE or training with safe gun handling and storage.
The blood may well be on their hands when the next shootings happen!

Another thing that'll happen: It'll cost the state DOL about 1 million dollars over the next 5 years with an estimated cost to district and municipal courts another $50,000 per year, which I think is a laughably low estimate.

You're optimistic. I'd guess that DOL will need to contract out the creation of a tracking database for a minimum of $20 million.

I also wouldn't at all be surprised to see some hunters arrested for "here, hold my rifle while I climb over this fence" by some game wardens trying to set an example to scare hunters out of "their" neck of the woods.

Never underestimate the tendency of some public official to "lord it over you" in order to make an example of you and or just to satisfy their ego - that is why many are in power (the more power they have, the more likely this is true), not because they want "to serve" or make things better.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top