JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The next 30 days there will be a frenzy to buy firearms without a background check. Not because bad guys need their guns but because every background will require firearm data SN#, make and model. This is registration of firearms. I am wondering if I should sell now and buy something fun at Cabelas in Jan with the markup?

At least WA gun stores should benefit from I-594. I hope they all make contributions to SAF or NRA.

As far as my guns are concerned... Well, guns are things, and things can be lost and found, can't they.

I plan on visiting at least two Washington rental ranges this month while I still can. As an Oregon State resident would I still be able to "rent" a handgun at a Washington range after December 4th?

Buy all you can now and just keep it forever if you stay in WA.
Problem solved til you can get that screwed up law repealed.

My prediction is after I finish rasing my daughter here, I will no longer be a Washingtonian.

I did my part, donated, voted, discussed the issue and tried to educate others. I guess it wasn't enough. I have already lived through this as a California gun owner. Dealers hated the transfers, they hated storing the guns for 10 days. Most in the bay area where I lived would deny them, or only do them during certain times even though state law said they were required to perform them. Always fun handing over a gun worth 5-10 bills to a visibly frustrated gun dealer for him to store for 10 days.

I once met a woman at a gun dealer in the bay area to transfer a 686, we showed up at the shop shortly after they opened, and were the only people in the store. I told the owner we were there to transfer a gun, he responded with a I am not doing this, I am busy. I reminded him state law requires this service, to make a long story short I walked out before things got more heated.

Fun times..

I am frustrated the majority were so easily manipulated to give away freedom, I am frustrated out of state money bank rolled an initiative in MY state. I thought Washington was a state of independent people ?

Guess I came to the party a few decades late.

I will fight the good fight as long as I am here, but I will not live in another California for long.

Last Edited:
There is still a call exemption but, they increased the wait time for not having one to 10 Days for some reason. I didn't see an exemption in there for FFLs however. So, if you go to a shop without a range and ask to see a gun in the case are you committing a potential felony?

At least WA gun stores should benefit from I-594. I hope they all make contributions to SAF or NRA.
I've posted here at NWFA and other forums that I strongly felt the NRA had abandoned Us here in Washington on this I-594 deal. I still believe that strongly though I have heard that the NRA is confident they will beat down this bad law in the courts.
I hope that is a fact and not just a rumor.
Nonetheless, the NRA was incredibly tepid in helping Us fight I-594.
I'm a Life Benefactor Member of the NRA, and I'm not too pleased today about the moneys I've spent supporting the NRA.
Perhaps if they are instrumental in filing a law suit against this badly written law I'll feel different, but right now, I feel somewhat abandoned by my NRA.

I've posted here at NWFA and other forums that I strongly felt the NRA had abandoned Us here in Washington on this I-594 deal. I still believe that strongly though I have heard that the NRA is confident they will beat down this bad law in the courts.
I hope that is a fact and not just a rumor.
Nonetheless, the NRA was incredibly tepid in helping Us fight I-594.
I'm a Life Benefactor Member of the NRA, and I'm not too pleased today about the moneys I've spent supporting the NRA.
Perhaps if they are instrumental in filing a law suit against this badly written law I'll feel different, but right now, I feel somewhat abandoned by my NRA.

Agreed. I'm a NRA member and I'm VERY disappointed with their weak bubblegum support of gun owners here in WA state. Bloomberg pours his millions into this state, and what do they do? Release a couple of press releases and some online videos. I saw ZERO TV ads, not even during Seahawk football games on TV! Pshhht.

The next time the NRA calls and asks for money I'm going to laugh in their face. I guess other gun orgs like SAF get my support now.

Happy 30 day gun buying frenzy, friends!

The next firearm related tragedy will only reinforce the gun grabbers to add more restrictive gun laws.
The headlines will read like this;
"We haven't done enough to prevent another horrible tragedy. We won't rest until all guns are removed from society, making it safe for all."

The next firearm related tragedy will only reinforce the gun grabbers to add more restrictive gun laws.
The headlines will read like this;
"We haven't done enough to prevent another horrible tragedy. We won't rest until all guns are removed from society, making it safe for all."

Yep. They'll claim we need ANOTHER law. And another. And another.

Nevermind they never figure out that these laws don't stop tragedies.

It is confusing about how long the new wait time will be if you have a CPL. It sounds like they still need a letter from the police or sheriff saying you're good to go. Anyone know anything definite on this?

10419506_874140689272350_3898825910116195937_n.jpg

It doesn't change from how it currently is. If you have a CPL there is no wait time.

If you have a CPL, a dealer can run your background in NICS and you are good to go (as long as you pass).

If you don't the dealer sends in a form to the local sheriff, who then runs you background, then sends it back to the dealer, 10 days after the date of submission you can pick up your handgun.

(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, in determining whether the purchaser meets the requirements of RCW 9.41.040, the chief of police or sheriff, or the designee of either, shall check with the national crime information center, the Washington state patrol electronic database, the department of social and health services electronic database, and with other agencies or resources as appropriate, to determine whether the applicant is ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm.

What is the "department of social and health services electronic database" and how do current privacy laws and HIPAA affect that? I thought that has been the issue all along, that any medical (mental health) treatment is protected under HIPAA so there is no database to check.

I don't think your average liberal has any idea how invasive this can become.

And I'm really not fond of the little "and with other agencies or resources as appropriate" disclaimer thrown in there.

Not just gouging but "culling the herd" for some. I have a few extra firearms I haven't bothered selling yet. Other than some high-ticket items I don't have time to go to a dealer with someone and do all the silly paperwork. So I should sell now while it is still easy.

I plan on visiting at least two Washington rental ranges this month while I still can. As an Oregon State resident would I still be able to "rent" a handgun at a Washington range after December 4th?

A rental will be a transfer under the new law. If the range has someone who can do the background checks and you have a CPL, then you can probably still rent a handgun. If you don't have a CPL, then you'd fall under the "need written permission from sheriff or chief of police" which is probably too much of a hassle for a range. It also isn't clear if a concealed license from another state would satisfy that.

It doesn't change from how it currently is. If you have a CPL there is no wait time.

If you have a CPL, a dealer can run your background in NICS and you are good to go (as long as you pass).

I don't think this is clear either. The CPL exempts you from the written approval from LEO, but you must still satisfy the section 4 requirement for either the 10 days (b) or the background check (a). The problem is that i-594 was not clear on the definition of "background check." Previously, a background check was equal to a NICS check. There is wording in i-594, though, that says every transfer needs a criminal check (NICS) and also a mental health check. So that could open up a whole new wait time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top