JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not true.

You're not going to get or give the virus unless you are within 6' of someone that has expelled aerosolized fluids or you aren't washing your hands.

If most, not all, but most of us shelter in place that works fine. The objective is not to stop everyone from getting it the objective is to reduce the rate of infection over a longer time. Shelter in place reduces the number of people in ICUs at one time and that is the ONLY thing that is going to save lives.

Unless they get a vaccine.

In fact without a vaccine, some percentage of us are going to get it sooner or later. Most of us aren't going to be bothered by it severely. All we can do is to reduce the rate at which it develops so as to allow the ICUs to keep from being overloaded.
The virus can live for 72 hours on hard surfaces, shopping carts, credit card machine, credit card, gas pump, door knobs, computer mouse. You are shopping, you touch your cell phone, now your phone potentially has the virus. You wash your hands after shopping, but not before touching your phone or your car door....

Newsom, Brown, and Inslee are three lefty Governors drunk with power. Scratch a liberal, you'll find a totalitarian underneath. I hope to God state National Guard and Local law enforcement refuse to enforce these unconstitutional orders. Emergency powers my behind. This is a power grab by hysterical, irrational politicians.
AKA: The Three Stooges.
Edit: No offense to Larry, Moe and Curly.

Yep, population control, Mother Nature Style.

Kinda reminds me of Oregon in very early 1990 before all the Kalifornians came up. Actually very nice.
Goram Malthusian!

I was just saying this same thing about the roads, "reminds me of what is what like when I was growing up"...

Including Reservists and all National Guard etc. Oregon has less then 9500 in uniform. Of those less then 8000 are under the control of Brown. I'm not sure how many people in uniform it would take to keep control on somewhere like Portland but I can tell you little Silverton has 8 ways in and out of town along with a dozen round about ways to get out of town. if it takes 4 guys per shift (say 2 shifts per day) to stand guard duty at even the 8 major egress points thats 64 now if you want to try to keep the people in this little town that covers 3.5 square miles 2,240 acres you can add triple that number. So lets say the detail to keep Silverton indoors and to control travel is going to be 256 people. And Silverton is a TINY little place in the scheme of things and how you going to control the parts of the state that is Rural.

The so called Portland metro area is 6,684 sq miles or 4,277,760 acres with what 500 ways in an out of the area

At best theres enough people under Brown control to maybe keep an eye on a few citys.

OregonHunter, There are many of us who share the same emotions. So, in a sense, this is the right forum to blow off steam and we need to support each other in being rational in these weird times. I have it on very good authority that the virus and risk is authentic. I also know that there is a possibility of tighter lock-downs if we don't all behave. So be vigilant. Keep your powder dry. Make a plan. Make a back-up plan. Check maps and routes. Keep a mild bleach solution wipe in a zip-loc if you go into a populated area. Keep a distance. This is a time of adjustment for all of us and what was normal might not be normal again for a very long time.

Cynicism about what the top tier politicians are up to is rational . I do not trust them to not take advantage of the situation. Tonight on the PDX news the "experts" were talking about a "potential" increase in domestic violence and abuse in general. There is a rather large law enforcement body that is re-configuring to be a critical incident response format. Certificates have been issued to some folks to enable them to move about under imposed "cerfew". It is my opinion that there could be a wide spread use of the red-flag laws to kick doors and take guns. But then I have a hyper-vigilant streak.

People are already acting weird. I am sure most of us are seeing it. Hopefully this is just an adjustment phase. I am still hoping the borders are open first weekend of April.

I am currently in California, with the mandate to stay at home. Bit of a bad luck actually, would you believe it if I tell I'm right in the middle of closing on a house in WA? Yup, that's right, closing on a house and I'm stuck here....

Anyway, if it happens at your location, don't freak out. It is pretty normal for me actually since I've been working from home (tech industry) for many years, the main difference is that instead of eating dinner outside, we'll have to do take out and eat at home. Still, there are some idiotic things you should be prepared for and many people missed doing:
1. Get a hair cut if your hair grows quickly like mine. I didn't do this and now I have "wild" hair like many others here.

2. If your fridge is very old, get it replace ASAP. Trust me, you DON'T want the fridge to go down in the middle of a shelter in place order, nobody's coming to fix it and stores will be closed. You'll be in a world of hurt.

3. Laptops and electronics. When the shelter in place order was suddenly issued here in some CA counties, a lot of people scrambled to buy laptops and other internet electronics to work from home. So if you have been using some crappy piece of hardware, best get it replaced soon. The stores will be wiped out quickly and they aren't reopening for weeks. You'll be stuck with a busted router for example, if you don't have a spare.

Good luck and hope to join you folks in WA soon.

Most of us aren't going to be bothered by it severely. All we can do is to reduce the rate at which it develops so as to allow the ICUs to keep from being overloaded.

I detect conflict in this statement, but maybe I am not seeing the context here. IF you get the virus and IF you end up in the ICU, you are in a world of deep sh*t. This is going to bother you severely. I spent a month in the ICU about 9 years ago. Another month on the floor and a month in rehab. I was pretty screwed up. Putting more than a slightly above normal number of people in ICU is not going to work.

Brownshirt was floating social lockdown on tonight's evening news. I was a bit surprised that the usually left compliant anchor immediately turned to their medical experts who said there was no medical reason to do it at this point. When even Jeff Gianola goes "huh?" you know she has crossed the line. There is no violence or public safety issue. She just wants to flex her authority and let us know who is boss.

What have you heard or think?
A WA guard member and good friend said to get your last min stuff together and it might happen. Only Essential trades and services can operate. And only during certain hours.
I don't know if it will happen but it's nuts. I just sent my son with is mom for a early weekend. Dam it
It's coming. My guess is everybody will replace work with panic or social shopping. The economy is going to suffer mightily.

Sheltering in place doesn't do anything but kick the can down there road unless everybody does it, which is unlikely as @Oregonhunter5 has pointed out so candidly.
If it is mandatory, it is not "shelter in place". I wish people would stop making up terms to make something sound better than it really is. It is martial law - a governmental suspension of your rights. This namby-pamby term is so the sheep don't realize how f'ed they are. Would be nice if government and media were a little more transparent, but we all know that will never happen. G-D oxymoron, like "voluntary compliance" for paying your taxes.

#People.really.are.that.stupid.

1.9 million people in Idaho.
19 have the virus.
nope!!!!!!! I'm not staying at home!!!!! They can F-off!!!
Yep, we are supporting our local business owners regardless. And they were verbally appreciative we did.
D78B45A6-881A-4099-8A82-F41D5B0779BB.jpeg

Be vigilant, This is a time of adjustment for all of us and what was normal might not be normal again for a very long time.

People are already acting weird. I am sure most of us are seeing it. Hopefully this is just an adjustment phase. I am still hoping the borders are open first weekend of April.

Well said, things are getting weird and may continue to do so for some time. If the work shortages continue for a while and some folks living paycheck to paycheck find themselves(or their kids) without money or resources to buy food or other essentials, things could get tense.

How tense is reliant on many factors. How the people and government respond to this event and its economic impact will be critical for how bad the situation becomes.

Although.... So far the US is failing this test... badly.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top