JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
... the bear I have had has only been pleasing to eat if harvested during the right time of year, when they have been fattening up mostly on veg. Gt them during the lean times when they are eating mostly meet and they are not quite as good, at least the way I have had them prepared. If you know a good recipe for carnivore I bet there are a lot of curious people here who would love to know how it is done.
I have never done such, but friends who have tell me they generally make sausage, and add pork fat to make it palatable.

A prime pelt I will keep and have tanned. My Mom even wanted one that was particularly large and beautiful. My ranch owner friend in Eastern Oregon is a trapper, and he had a comforter made. (Picture of a picture, so poor quality resolution, but you get the idea.)

1707628287754.jpeg

Eating them???!!! I guess I'd have to refer to Paul Newman in "Hombre" when the prissy Indian Agent's wife is aghast at the idea of Mescalero Apaches eating dog.
Newman is fresh off the Reservation, a white raised by the Apache: "If you were hungry enough, Lady, you'd fight for the scraps."

never had 'yote, but the bear I have had has only been pleasing to eat if harvested during the right time of year, when they have been fattening up mostly on veg. Gt them during the lean times when they are eating mostly meet and they are not quite as good, at least the way I have had them prepared. If you know a good recipe for carnivore I bet there are a lot of curious people here who would love to know how it is done.
Ate every Bear I killed. Never had a "bad" one. Best way to do a Bear is to can it. The canning process is also a rendering process, so much of the fat is carried away. The finished product can be used for just about everything: Stroganoff, stew, chili, etc.

never had 'yote, but the bear I have had has only been pleasing to eat if harvested during the right time of year, when they have been fattening up mostly on veg. Gt them during the lean times when they are eating mostly meet and they are not quite as good, at least the way I have had them prepared. If you know a good recipe for carnivore I bet there are a lot of curious people here who would love to know how it is done.
I'm not a huge fan of bear. My wife tried making a roast once. It wasn't bad, but the flavor was just nowhere near as good as beef, elk, deer, etc. We ended up putting it in a slow cooker, adding barbecue sauce and making "pulled bear" sandwiches. Those were pretty good. The last bear I killed, when I dropped it off at the local meat cutters (Gates Family Tradition in Cottage Grove) I told them 1/3 sausage, 1/3 pepper stick and 1/3 jerky. They did a great job and all three of those items were terrific. The bear sausage adds "pop" to your spaghetti sauce and chili, as well as making for some really good bear sausage stroganoff. It was a healthy processing bill though.

(@solvent - Please note that 1/3 plus 1/3 plus 1/3 does equal 1, so none went to waste. I know you struggle with the math buddy.) :s0140:

Last Edited:
Ate every Bear I killed. Never had a "bad" one. Best way to do a Bear is to can it. The canning process is also a rendering process, so much of the fat is carried away. The finished product can be used for just about everything: Stroganoff, stew, chili, etc.
You know, I have never canned meat. I will have to try that some day.

Oscar Meyer?
Nope domestic dog. First time in a very spicy Vietnamese noodle dish in a bar in San Francisco in the late 70's. The second time in a large TEE PEE full of people and a big stew pot with a stew made with dog and those vegetables that would have been part of a PNW native Indian Camas root wild onions carrots and some other stuff I never ID'ed.

What's your canning process to avoid botulinum bacteria? Moms, Grandmothers, etc... in my family who were big on canning always stayed away from meats for this reason.

What's your canning process to avoid botulinum bacteria? Moms, Grandmothers, etc... in my family who were big on canning always stayed away from meats for this reason.
I've never tried canning bear meat either. The big one for bears is trichinosis. Just ask Steve Rinella and his crew from the Outdoor Channel show MeatEater. :eek:

I've never tried canning bear meat either. The big one for bears is trichinosis. Just ask Steve Rinella and his crew from the Outdoor Channel show MeatEater. :eek:
Most of the canning I have done will easily take care of that. I typically boil my cans for a 4+ hours ensuring everything gets up to at least 200 or so for quite some time. If you use a pressure canner you can get the temps up even higher. I think the big issue for tric is roasts and steaks. If you like your meat pink the risk is much higher. If you braise, boil or stew you should be hot enough for long enough that it should not be a problem either. All of those methods require cooking the meat high enough for long enough that everything should be dead (as well as make sure the meat is nice and tender).

Bear meat is pretty safe if frozen for 30 days and cooked thoroughly. We still have people sign a waver when I give them a bear
Yeah, those MeatEater guys were cooking raw bear over a campfire using sticks to hold the meat. Probably not the best way to insure you don't have any "extra rare" meat. It didn't take a lot of convincing to get my wife on board with cooking bear meat until it's fully cooked.

Most of the canning I have done will easily take care of that. I typically boil my cans for a 4+ hours ensuring everything gets up to at least 200 or so for quite some time. If you use a pressure canner you can get the temps up even higher. I think the big issue for tric is roasts and steaks. If you like your meat pink the risk is much higher. If you braise, boil or stew you should be hot enough for long enough that it should not be a problem either. All of those methods require cooking the meat high enough for long enough that everything should be dead (as well as make sure the meat is nice and tender).
My wife only cans applesauce, pears, and peaches. I remember my mother canning venison when I was very young, but don't remember ever eating any of it. A close friend gave us some canned tuna not long ago. It was delicious. Maybe next time I knock off a bear, I will have my wife try canning some of it. I just put in for a Spring tag a few days ago. I think today is the deadline.

My wife only cans applesauce, pears, and peaches. I remember my mother canning venison when I was very young, but don't remember ever eating any of it. A close friend gave us some canned tuna not long ago. It was delicious. Maybe next time I knock off a bear, I will have my wife try canning some of it. I just put in for a Spring tag a few days ago. I think today is the deadline.
Yeah, we can tomatoes, apple butter and whatever else we have extras of from the garden. We probably could be more efficient at it with the time, but I like the comfort level of "everything dead for sure" so I just let it roll for hours. If I ever can some meat I will do it the same way and just hope it does not ruin the texture or anything.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top