JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whew... big step there.

First, you may want to check out Tactical Manufacturing, they're out of Oregon Tactical Manufacturing, Inc.
.50BMG is an expensive cartridge to reload, you're stuck either with very expensive specialty bullets, or cheap military pulled bullets, which are usually difficult to find. The cartridge uses a LOT of powder, and if you're paying $25/lb, that adds cost quick. This is why a lot of .50 reloaders use pulled down US896. The other alternative is H-50, I think I've seen a few loads out there using retumbo.

Press wise, the RCBS Ammomaster .50 with the .50-cal kit is probably the machine to buy, it's expensive, but it's sufficiently durable, and uses 1.5" dies, the Lee press uses 1.25" dies. Lee is the only company that uses dies of this size and thread pitch, so if you buy a lee kit, you're stuck with lee. The RCBS will allow you to use dies from most of the other major manufacturers (hornady, CH4D, and well RCBS). The Ammo-master kit comes with a ram-prime unit, which you will absolutely need because of the cartoonish forces needed to seat the primer. You also need to know if you're loading domed or flat primers. there are different seating punches for each. be sure to use the correct punch...

A domed primer with a flat punch will mushroom and never seat properly. A flat primer with a domed punch will often crunch.

You will need to chamfer the primer pocket, otherwise you will never get the primer in. A regular case-mouth deburring tool works for this. I think Dillon sells a pocket swager for this, but don't buy it, it's ridiculous, expensive, and doesn't always solve your problem.

Monster,
Congrats! I have shot several M-82 A-1 Semi Auto Barrett Rifles over the years and you will really enjoy it!:D Recoil is also less than the Bolt 50s.
But I am not knowledgeable with loading for them!
I have a RCBS Rock Chucker and I reload for my 338 Lapua Magnum. But it is all the press can do to load it regarding the distance of the lowered ram and the housing holding the die. So I can not answer intelligently if you would need another different press? I am sure there is someone here that can. Have Fun and enjoy that New Barrett!

Sniper03

Corbin CSP-2 Mega-Mite Press

The above is what I use. I built my own as I had access to one for measurements. It will not only load the .50BMG but will swage bullets for same if you choose-I do. Now thast I no longer live in the wide open spaces of the west I don't use the Barrett often, but if I were to do it again I'd go the same route. I use Redding dies. I don't like the Lee only because they use a smaller set up and you are stuck with their stuff only if you get their press.

Corbin CSP-2 Mega-Mite Press

The above is what I use. I built my own as I had access to one for measurements. It will not only load the .50BMG but will swage bullets for same if you choose-I do. Now thast I no longer live in the wide open spaces of the west I don't use the Barrett often, but if I were to do it again I'd go the same route. I use Redding dies. I don't like the Lee only because they use a smaller set up and you are stuck with their stuff only if you get their press.

This actually reminds me, IIRC @IronMonster owns a machine shop. I've got solidworks models for some big press stuff if it'll do good I'll dig them out.

If you can catch Scott at Tactical Manufacturing when he has time to talk he knows loading 50 bmg inside out. We managed to get a tour of the new shop and its an impressive place. I've shot at least 600 of his reloads and just picked up another 500 and all have been perfect. He also has the best prices I've found

TMI is Scott
JnC is us

Scotty makes the ammo,We make the guns and are his distributor you can call him direct but its going to cost more from him.

If you have been to Scott's you probably meet me also.:)

On Cyber Monday I bought a RCBS Ammomaster .50 "kit". Normal price was $619, with discount and free shipping it was $555.75. RCBS "Get Green" rebate of $175 makes the final price $380... Not bad considering the die set alone is $299

On Cyber Monday I bought a RCBS Ammomaster .50 "kit". Normal price was $619, with discount and free shipping it was $555.75. RCBS "Get Green" rebate of $175 makes the final price $380... Not bad considering the die set alone is $299

tenor.gif

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR