JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
gas operation makes for a nice shock absorber.
I'd like to have a 10 ga., just to try The Federal Mag Shok Turkey load on Pheasant.
2 oz. of #6's @ 1300 fps.
Good upland recipe, if you ask me.
Only problem might be the flight control wad holding the shot a little longer than a regular wad. Might have to open up to Skeet #2 or IC choke to pattern Modified.

Dean

Another new-to-me single hits YouTube - The Khan K100...

I have issues with the "problem" he encountered. Granted its just a miscut stock, and yeah, I suppose if you let it go long enough, the stock could come apart upon firing, but I would think any responsible gun owner would catch this before it became an actual issue.
I'm sure replacement stocks are available. If nothing else, that issue could be fixed with some glue and sandpaper....but to totally disregard the gun like that and advise that buyers pass on it, is a bit heavy handed.
He had NO other issues with the gun. Granted, the stock shouldn't crack after a few shots, but its an easy repair.
It's not like the whole thing fell to pieces in his hands upon the first firing.....please.
My feeling is that he went into this video biased with a low opinion of any single shot, short of maybe a competition gun.
MY advice, view those videos with a grain of salt....still, here's another break action for the American market. Enjoy! =)

Dean

...still waiting for someone to review the Henry single...can't even find a yt vi
I got to shoot a friend's Savage O/U on Monday; 12GA 3" mag on the bottom and .223 on top.

Out of production...too bad, nice gun.
Model 24's always claim praise from both owners and shooters.
Collector items these days.

Dean

gas operation makes for a nice shock absorber.
I'd like to have a 10 ga., just to try The Federal Mag Shok Turkey load on Pheasant.
2 oz. of #6's @ 1300 fps.
Good upland recipe, if you ask me.
Only problem might be the flight control wad holding the shot a little longer than a regular wad. Might have to open up to Skeet #2 or IC choke to pattern Modified.

Dean
...or open it to cylinder bore :s0087::s0033:
Then you could run those big fat 766 gr. 10 ga. Foster slugs through it with no problem!
I figure if you just pulled the wad and shot and replaced with slug and proper wadding, you could achieve about 1450 fps MV, which would equate to 3577 + ft.-lbs. ME....that'll pretty much the kaputz on just about anything.

Dean

Why yes, yes I do. Especially after making her 6" shorter. :D

IMG_3197.JPG

So today I just picked up a Winchester Model 37 in 20 gauge...
Locks up tight and handles very nicely....the bore is nice and shiny as well.
The finish is well worn , but the grouse won't care....:D
I'll post some pictures in a bit....
Andy

Iver Johnson .410 Champion. My wife's deceased grandpa's gun. You can see a putty filled hole in the middle of the receiver. I am not sure what it was for, and it cuts into part of the lettering below Iver Johnson, Arms and Cycle Works, ??tchburg Mass USA, Champion. I don't know much about it, but other than the puttied hole, seems to be in original shape. Anyone know why the hole was cut and then puttied? You can see the putty inside on the second picture. I have never shot it.

P6250180.JPG P6250182.JPG

Pete,

Nice gun. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Not sure why there's a hole filled with putty in the receiver, but "Champion" was Iver Johnson's name for their break action singles.
They were one fo the first of the classic American break action singles to hit the market.
They were made in Fitchburg, Massachusetts....less than 30 miles north of Worcester (original home of H&R).

Dean

Pete,

Nice gun. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Not sure why there's a hole filled with putty in the receiver, but "Champion" was Iver Johnson's name for their break action singles.
They were one fo the first of the classic American break action singles to hit the market.
They were made in Fitchburg, Massachusetts....less than 30 miles north of Worcester (original home of H&R).

Dean
The hole isn't quite round and inside looks like there were several holes drilled from the top through the break action stop rail. P6250183.JPG

So today I just picked up a Winchester Model 37 in 20 gauge...
Locks up tight and handles very nicely....the bore is nice and shiny as well.
The finish is well worn , but the grouse won't care....:D
I'll post some pictures in a bit....
Andy[/QUOTEAt

I first translated in my mind "Ithaca 37" and said to myself, "That's not a single shot."

I used to have an H&R break action 12ga. The only single shot I have these days is a T/C Encore, I don't currently have a shotgun barrel but t is on the list.

Not too long ago, I bought a New England Firearms "Survivor" model. It's a single shot, top-break in .410 shotgun/.45 Colt. It has a rifled barrel. There is a choke that is screwed into the barrel when the gun is to be fired with shot. The choke wrench has T/C on it, so obviously the choke is a Contender part adapted to the NEF. This weapon has a polymer thumbhole stock with a little storage compartment in the butt. I haven't fired it yet, though.
The idea of the screw on "choke" with the straight lands inside, to stop the shot from spinning as it goes down a rifled barrel was pioneered by Thompson-Center.
It was a .45/.410 version of the Contender handgun.
Shooting Times did an review of the gun around '70 or '71.
This is why the wrench you use has "T/C" written on it.
The "survivor" gun sounds like a snake charmer that H&R made for a short number of years just before Remington shut them down.
H&R's website is still up...
Here's their page on the survivor - H&R Survivor® Shotgun
The other gun I'm thinking of could be their "Tamer" - H&R Tamer
...however, I seem to remember a shorter barreled .410 that was called "Snake Charmer" or something like that.
I don't see it at the website. Maybe I'll try to find some mention of it somewhere else.

Dean

All the frame's are steel.
Cast Iron went out with the 19th century.
The difference between SB-1 and SB-2 was that the SB-1 shotgun receiver was a light weight receiver.
The SB-2 rifle receiver retained a lot more steel so that it can stand up to the greater stresses rifle cartridges put on it.
H&R ended up under Remington because, as you stated, they were acquired by Marlin, which was on quite the popular upswing at the time (didn't last long).
When Remington acquired Marlin, H&R came along as part of the acquisition. Think of it as a "2 fer" package. If you want one, you get both.
Remington shut down H&R in May of 2015, but from what I've heard from H&R owners of guns made around that time, the guns were of very poor quality by then and staff/management at H&R was pretty much non-existent.
The website is still up because (last I heard) management is still saying "we're restructuring".
Would be nice to see them back, and as they once were, but after 3+ years and still nothing to show for it, the chances of that happening have worn very thin.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top