JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, as most of you know I'm going to be building a 16" barreled AR-15 in the very near future. I'll be building it as a home defense type weapon, so a standard scope is not going to be an option. But still, my eyesight just doesn't allow me to be very accurate with iron sights. So my question is, what is a good red-dot type sight that also has an integral laser, or at least can have one added to it. Do any of you have something along those lines that you use and like? I'm thinking of something that would be a good weapon on a dark and stormy night when something goes bump, keeping in mind that we live on several acres of wooded mountainside.

Ah, the integrated laser thing is tough. I know your upper has an A2 style front sight, so I get where you're coming from. I'd try a high-rise red dot and see how it works. I run a Vortex Strikefire II on one of mine although it doesn't have a front site post. I have another build that wears a red dot along with a separate red laser that pretty much co-witnesses if the red dot fails. I honestly can't think of a quality red dot/laser sight "all in one" type optic.

Ah, the integrated laser thing is tough. I know your upper has an A2 style front sight, so I get where you're coming from. I'd try a high-rise red dot and see how it works. I run a Vortex Strikefire II on one of mine although it doesn't have a front site post. I have another build that wears a red dot along with a separate red laser that pretty much co-witnesses if the red dot fails. I honestly can't think of a quality red dot/laser sight "all in one" type optic.

Yeah, Redfield used to make a RDS with laser called the Counterstrike IIRC. I was going to get one but they were discontinued about 6 months before my build was complete.
Saw a couple of on Ebay but at a premium.

Brutus Out

I use an Eotech or an Aimpoint and then put a Cross Tac bayonet mount to Picatinny adaptor on my bayonet mount, and attach a LaserMax low profile laser to it with a remote paddle switch going up to the forend. This way the laser is on the same vertical plane with the barrel. Not an all-in-one approach but it works great.

Personally I believe a light will be so much more beneficial than a laser. For a home defense firearm.

If you are looking to point shoot cqb, a lights conical beam will be just as effective as a pointer as a laser with the added benefit of illuminating the area. Lasers don't allow you to "see" the target in low light and will slow a person down if using in a 1-10 yd environment. A shooter should be able to point shoot" in a critical hit area without takinh the extra time to visually aim a laser, visibly confirming the sight, then telling the trigger finger to pull the trigger. In addition if you are using an optic like a red dot there is no benefit of having a laser. Use the dot or the laser, not both in conjunction, it will just screw up your poa/poi by adding a second offset vector to compensate for. Plus lasers are notoriously hard to spot in daylight.

I can't even count how many customers have sold lasers they thought they needed for half price to replace them with a wml.

My .02 $
Low profile gas block with YHM specter length handguards. YHM flip
up back up sights. :cool::cool::cool:
S.L.K.® Specter XL Carbine Top End
Optic Burris 1-4x24 MTAC:D:D:D
MTAC™ Riflescope 1-4x24mm | Burris Optics
I will decide whether to switch out the barrel and hand guard once I get the parts in my hands and see what I'm actually dealing with. My other AR is a Bushmaster with a 24" stainless bull barrel. It's great for coyotes, but not so much for home defense. But I do really like the flat top style.

I'm appreciative of all the suggestions. There are several good ideas to think about here. I do know that I want a red-dot type sight rather than iron sights. The laser may or may not be what I want in conjunction with it. Lots to think about here. I do know that iron sights are a no-go. I just can't see them well enough to be as accurate as I want to be.

I agree with the poster that wrote 'red dot or laser.. one or the other'. Personally, I have found the red dot to work very well. Very quick TA out to 100 yards. I can still hit man-sized silhouettes at 300 yards. I have dumped iron sights completely.

Captain Obvious here, but with lasers, you have to pick out the red/green point 50/100 yards away. With the red dot you are placing the dot where you want to shoot.

If, like me you already have poor eyesight you are burning a lot of time looking for your laser's dot. If you have all the time in the world (as in several seconds ) lasers are great.

I agree with the poster that wrote 'red dot or laser.. one or the other'. Personally, I have found the red dot to work very well. Very quick TA out to 100 yards. I can still hit man-sized silhouettes at 300 yards. I have dumped iron sights completely.
I have used a red dot sight (and often no sights at all) in competition paintball, which is often very similar to a home defense situation. That is training that will never go away, so I'm pretty sure I want a red dot type sight. The laser seems like good verification where I otherwise wouldn't bother using, or have time to use sights at all. Maybe I'll mount a red dot type sight first and see how it goes from there.

I have used a red dot sight (and often no sights at all) in competition paintball, which is often very similar to a home defense situation. That is training that will never go away, so I'm pretty sure I want a red dot type sight. The laser seems like good verification where I otherwise wouldn't bother using, or have time to use sights at all. Maybe I'll mount a red dot type sight first and see how it goes from there.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to mount some flip-up sites as backup in case the optic fails. There are lots of them out there that cowitness with standard height red dots. If you practice occasionally with them up and the red dot on you can get really good with them. You can go anywhere from Troy to Magpul and be pretty happy. It might be a better use of funds than a laser.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of lasers on firearms. And yes, I have a red laser on one of my AR's as a type of BUS but I've never turned it on besides the initial zeroing. And I only mounted it because I had it laying around. :D

I agree 100% with a QUALITY weapon light, from a reputable company like Surefire or Streamlight. LED for certain. I run a TLR-3 125 lumen on my Glock 19. Plenty of fast light for clearing a dark room and not too much light for short work. Super high lumen LED weapon lights are hard for me to keep on target due to the backsplash of light in my eyes. With the TLR-3 I can kill the lights at the range and still group well at 35 feet. YMMV.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of lasers on firearms. And yes, I have a red laser on one of my AR's as a type of BUS but I've never turned it on besides the initial zeroing. And I only mounted it because I had it laying around. :D

I agree 100% with a QUALITY weapon light, from a reputable company like Surefire or Streamlight. LED for certain. I run a TLR-3 125 lumen on my Glock 19. Plenty of fast light for clearing a dark room and not too much light for short work. Super high lumen LED weapon lights are hard for me to keep on target due to the backsplash of light in my eyes. With the TLR-3 I can kill the lights at the range and still group well at 35 feet. YMMV.
I recently got a deal on a nice 300 lumen TLR because an instructor told a good friend of mine to get a brighter one. This was after I had explained to him that I don't like super bright lights because they affect my vision. He's a great guy and I won't speak ill of him. And I hope he is happy with his new welding torch. :rolleyes:

Now to be fair, outdoors 1200 lumens can come in handy, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I have to agree with a light on any firearm for home defense. If I wake up in the middle of the night to a noise I want to make sure I see what I'm looking for or shooting at. ;)

If it's for home defense I would definetly mount a flashlight on it and would do iron sights and would even think about doing like a crimson trace railmaster laser.
I like the TLR lights and I have to have a strobe function on my HD guns.
I have a TLR-1HL on my G34 HD pistol.

As soon as I have the money I buying a shotlock for my AR pistol and putting it in my closet. I will install a flashlight and probably put my CT railmaster laser on it.

If your clearing a house you may need a free hand, you need a flashlight and if you opening doors, etc you will want a free hand.

Last Edited:
If it's for home defense I would definetly mount a flashlight on it and would do iron sights and would even think about doing like a crimson trace railmaster laser.
I like the TLR lights and I have to have a strobe function on my HD guns.
I have a TLR-1HL on my G34 HD pistol.

As soon as I have the money I buying a shotlock for my AR pistol and putting it in my closet. I will install a flashlight and probably put my CT railmaster laser on it.

If your clearing a house you may need a free hand, you need a flashlight and if you opening doors, etc you will want a free hand.
Unless that AR pistol is a 300BLK with a suppressor, you may want to hang a set of ear pro next to that shotlock. ;) And maybe some sunglasses.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top